Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Dugger Family Closet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 11 2006 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth wrote:

Quote:
There must be a way to do this...I wonder, too, wouldn't you need two; one for each gender?

Perhaps I'm a mom of little laundry faith...
Don't you think it would be a problem getting them to get those dirty clothes back to the laundry room? Why do I feel like my kids are not nearly as well-trained as they used to be? I think we need a fresh thread on habit...

I was thinking that the kids would all take turns changing by gender...girls then boys. Maybe that is too micro-organized. What if the boys wake up first? Maybe they would have to change in the order that they wake up...hmm.   I think in our home, all changing would have to take place in that room or else the reason for doing it would no longer exist. My whole reason for doing this is to eliminate the flow of dirty laundry up and down the steps and the flow of clean laundry all about the house into its various rooms that it belongs.   

Laundry is a HUGE issue in our home, especially now with new baby. This is the first child I have not used cloth diapers because I simply felt that the poor child would never have a clean one!

How do you all manage socks for your family? How many pairs each? Do you buy distinctly different ones for everyone or are they all the same? This morning my 6 and 9ds were arguing over the "supposed" last pair of socks in the house. How can this be? No more socks? I have a whole basket full of socks that do not match but the Pollyanna in me keeps holding out, hoping I will find the spares. I do believe the Dufflepuds have carried them off.      
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Rebecca wrote:

How do you all manage socks for your family?      

I have never found a solution to this problem...sad to say.

Even with my 3 teens now doing their own laundry, there is a perpetual laundry basket that sits on the floor of my bedroom (right next to my prayer corner) loaded down with socks of every size. No one claims them unless they are desperate to find a matching pair. Then they search through it...madly.

It's in a bad location, as I often have to kick it out of my way, but it's a constant reminder to me of the ones I serve.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

With my kids it would be too much of a headache to manage who's getting dressed and when. I see it to be no different to have to manage the clothes in there or in their room.

There was way to much "forgetting" their clothes when it came time to dressing and in our house boys that are uncovered are a problem . I wouldn't want dd always changing with the boys.

Then's there's the baby's clothes. I'd have to go get them and bring them to his changing table/my bed where I like to dress him. Maybe you'd have to have baby's changing table in the family closet, too.
My husband would want his clothes where he dresses.

This is a great discussion. Love hearing everyone's thoughts! I think it could work for some families, though.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

In the last two homes we lived in, prior to the much smaller ranch we're in now, we had a laundry/dressing room adjacent to our only bathroom. I REALLY miss having such a set-up! I was much better able to keep track of ALL our household laundry then. Mess was not an issue since I was frequently right there in the midst of it, working on laundry or supervising bathtimes, etc. I could keep track of all our clothing much better with a single room devoted to all dressing and laundry. It works much better than having to keep up on clothing scattered in separate bedrooms and all throughout the house. I was amazed at how much time and energy we saved, AND on how it streamlined such activites as getting ready for the day, especially for Sunday Mass...we even kept our dress clothes on a clothes rack where they were readily available for everyone come Sunday morning..we would set out shoes and socks beneath everyone's outfits on Saturday evening, which made Sundays much more pleasant and peaceful! The issue of mixed gender could easily be solved by having all the males in the family take a certain time, with Dad supervising, and all the females another time with Mom supervising. We had a large mirror in our first laundry/dressing room set-up which came in very handy for primping that might normally be done in the bathroom! Simply store all brushes, hair dryers, hair ties and such in the "Spare 'Oom".
The very first thing I'd do if we had any extra bit of space would be to design another laundry/dressing room! It's a busy mother's dream come true!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Rebecca wrote:
I was thinking that the kids would all take turns changing by gender...girls then boys.

The reason I would have my kids dress in their rooms is for modesty reasons. Some children aren't comfortable dressing in front of anyone, even same gender sibling and they shouldn't have to. If they want privacy for dressing they have a right to it.

Quote:
How can this be? No more socks? I have a whole basket full of socks that do not match but the Pollyanna in me keeps holding out, hoping I will find the spares.

Give it up Rebecca -they're gone. The sooner you can accept it the easier life will be.    OK I'm being dramatic but I give up with the socks thing. I just buy new ones regularly.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 11 2006 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Apparently, there is more to the Duggar laundry story than just the room. This is also from the website. We all need to pray for Laundry Angels
Dear Friend,

It was 1:00 AM in the morning as I stood folding laundry with tears streaming down my cheeks. Feelings of being overwhelmed flooded my mind. I cried aloud, ”LORD I NEED YOUR HELP, I can’t do it all! I feel so inadequate! Diapers, dishes, laundry, meals, cleanup, school lessons, baths, hugs, kisses, correction…” My list seemed to go on and on.

Then it was as if a still small voice said, ”Michelle, it’s easy to praise ME when things are going good, but are you willing to praise ME now?” Immediately the scripture that says, “Offer up a sacrifice of praise”, came to mind.

I said, “OK Lord, I will praise you even now! It really is a sacrifice!” So through the tears I began to sing, “The joy of the Lord is my strength”. In my heart there was a release as if a burden had been lifted. I finished the laundry at 2 AM and went to bed.

Days later, I was at our piano teacher’s home (at 7 AM) trying to catch up on paperwork while the children were taking their lessons. Instead, I kept drifting off to sleep! The teacher noticed and asked, “Are you OK?” I replied, “I’m fine, I’m just tired. I was up late finishing laundry.”

As we talked more she said that she actually enjoyed doing laundry and that she would be glad to come and help me! That weekend when she arrived we had mountains of dirty laundry, and when she left we had nice, neat, orderly stacks of clean laundry! For 10 years now, our piano teacher, whom we consider a part of our family and loving call “NaNa” has faithfully come (now twice a week) to help us with laundry! GOD sent “An angel” in answer to my cry for help.

He is faithful to hear the humble cries of his children. “Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up.” God lifted my burden (literally mountains of laundry!) and freed me to meet the more urgent needs of my family. “Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, unto Him be glory…”

Remember mothers, where God guides He provides!

With Love,

Michelle
Proverbs 3:5-7

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Oh, this is so my dream...I love laundry. I am sad when I get caught up...a huge pile to iron and some music on my cd player...heaven!!   

Now, everyone Mom and Tim on this forum will classify me as a total freak!!!

I would be happy to be a laundry lady..I just need to drink a huge Coke while helping.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 11 2006 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I've had a laundry angel here for ironing since December. My mom returns to the east coast at the end of the month. My dh is already lining up his clothes for ironing in the hopes they will last until my mom returns in December .

We don't have a basement or extra space for a family closet. (Sheesh, my laundry "room" is the width of a washer and dryer with a walkway in front of it that connects the garage and hallway.) Yet I'm following this thread for laundry tips. My favorite tip so far is...

MicheleQ wrote:
Give it up Rebecca -they're gone. The sooner you can accept it the easier life will be.    OK I'm being dramatic but I give up with the socks thing. I just buy new ones regularly.

Ahhhhhhhh...

Thanks Michele and All .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Angie Mc wrote:
I've had a laundry angel here for ironing since December. My mom returns to the east coast at the end of the month.

Hey Angie I live on the east coast. Please tell your laundry angel that she is welcome to come to my house anytime!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 11 2006 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

This is how the gender issue is resolved in my mind.

In the morning, while still in their pj's they come get their clothes for the day & take them back to their bedroom to dress. Their pj's go on the bed for bedtime. Before baths, while still dressed, they come get their clean underclothes & pick up their pj's on the way to the bathroom. They will put their dirty clothes in the laundry hamper & dress in their pj's after bath in the bathroom. The dirty clothes hamper will be emptied by whoever has laundry duty that week.

Jenny

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

MicheleQ wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
I was thinking that the kids would all take turns changing by gender...girls then boys.

The reason I would have my kids dress in their rooms is for modesty reasons. Some children aren't comfortable dressing in front of anyone, even same gender sibling and they shouldn't have to. If they want privacy for dressing they have a right to it.

Michele, this is a good point. My two sons would be appalled at the thought of my gender dressing solution. The girls are so little but the boys would have a big problem with it.

Rebecca wrote:
How can this be? No more socks? I have a whole basket full of socks that do not match but the Pollyanna in me keeps holding out, hoping I will find the spares.

MicheleQ wrote:
God bless!

Do I really have to get rid of that sweet baby sock with old Mrs. Rabbit rocking her little bunny? How about the pink and white striped toddler sock with the picture of the pig that we got for the fair? What about the cowboy sock that is missing its pardner? I just don't know if I can do it Michele!

No, seriously, thanks for the proverbial kick in the pants, I am planning a trip to go sock buying ASAP and I can't wait to dump that basket of spares (though some of them sure are cute) !
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2006 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I'm real short on time, but here is our sock solution, and it works GREAT!! Before this, it was a nightmare!! Serisously, we were all wearing mismatched socks, we were late for everything b/c no one could find socks, etc... NOW:

Dirty sock are sorted as soon as they are taken off, just like the rest of the clothes. All the socks go into a hanging canvas basket I have on a laundry organizer, yes, all of them, darks, lights, stripes, everything in between. (new socks have never bled after they are washed the first time) Twice a week I have enough to wash a load of just socks. After they come out of the dryer, they go directly in the clothes room, where everyone has a dishpan on their shelf with their name on it. The socks go directly into the dishpan of their owner. Ones that have lost their mate are laid in front of the dishpan, if after two sock washes the mate is still not found, it is pitched. I throw away probably one or two socks a week, sometimes b/c they lost a mate, but mostly b/c of holes.

The gender dressing thing, well, two of my boys get dressed together, they don't mind at all. (they are 5 and 6 years old) My 11 year old goes down on his own, as does my 9 year old. They either pick out their clothes and take them to the bathroom to dress, or get dressed downstairs. The clothes room has the same "knock before you open" policy as the bathroom. Tony and I keep our clothes down there also, it's just easier on all of us that way. I go down in the morning and get my clothes before my shower, at this time I also get the clothes for the 3 under 3 and bring them up and dress them upstairs. I usually throw in a load while I'm down there to start the day. (I have to do 3 loads a day or I'm sunk!! This does include diapers though)

This really does work for us. Of course right now I do shoulder most of the work, but I would either way, and I am training a couple of older kids on laundry right now.   

This has been a fun thread to read, I learn so much from other experience. I hope my own experience with 'the family closet' has helped someone too!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Alcat
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2006 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Alcat

Hi All! I know I'm posting on this topic late, please forgive me    We are currently putting on an addition for my grandmother to move in with us. Included in that addition is a new laundry room and closet. The closet will be nice and large, but it also must store winter coats and shoes.
I am toying with idea of a family closet. After reading all the posts I have some ideas about the logistics and dressing.
I think part of the solution for us would be to train the dc to "lay out their clothes for the next day"- ala flylady. They could do this right after dinner and put them at the foot of their bed. I can do this for the baby and any other children that need assistance. This will solve the gender/ dressing issue (which I have because my boys and girls share one room- soon to be fixed thanks to the addition)
I don't really care about the dirty laundy being put in the laundry room- I can make all errant children put their dirties in the hamper in a matter of seconds. I get much more irritated about clean clothes getting back into the dirty laundry
I think the family closet will help me stay on top of weeding out ruined clothing or clothing that no longer fits... Mom and dads clothing will be kept in our bedroom.
My main reason for considering the family closet is that my dh seriously thinks that because we will now have a much more efficiant laundry area that I will some how fold and put away each load as it comes out of the dryer    The man is totally off his rocker, as the new laundry is even further away from the bed rooms and there isn't room to sit and fold. So, my only solution to taming the laundry is to be able to put the majority away right there....
Ahhh the joys of the domestic
Alison

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2006 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Alison, you will SO love having a family laundry/closet! This entire thread has made me YEARN to have one again....alas, our humble ranch will never, ever have enough space for such a blessing! I will just gave to live vicariously through those of you who have the space to devote to such a luxury! Trust me, you will save an incredible amount of time and energy by having everything in one room...you don't realize how much time is spent carting laundry to the far reaches of your home until you are able to do everything within arm's reach! Laundry can actually be a JOY when you have everything streamlined into a single location! If possible, make room for your bed linens in your new laundry space and have a retractable clothesline installed for hand washables. The possibilities are endless!
The gender issue and modest dressing are easily solved by either having the children take their clothes to their respective bedrooms OR by having them take their clothing right into the bathroom with them while taking their turn at "hygiene-time"!
I really love the sock ideas! We may never again resort to buying new socks just because the sock monster devoured them all!! My m-i-l swears she NEVER had any mismatched socks in ALL her married life...I cringe to think how MANY we've thrown away in total desperation. We've even resorted to finding creative uses for them...sock puppets, rags & dusters, fuzzy math manipulatives! I have a dear friend who uses them, wrong side out, for wash cloths! Rabbit trail...how many uses can YOU find for mismatched socks?

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version