Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Choosing appropriate literature Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

Today we were at the library picking up books I had placed on hold. I told the children that they could each look around and choose one book for themselves. They know that all selections must be approved by me. The problem is I have a difficult time deciding if a book is appropriate or not, especially for my 8 yr dd.

How do you determine if a chapter book is appropriate without reading most of it yourself?

Today, she finally grabbed The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum because I have allowed her to read other books in the series. Now I'm questioning myself as to why I felt these books were okay. I haven't read them nor have I seen them on any book list that I trust.

I'm wondering how others handle choosing books for your children that you are unfamiliar with, especially when they are reading at an accelerated level.

After reading some posts in the Living Literature forum I see that I've already made some mistakes, like allowing Crispin by Avi.

I really want to protect her heart and mind while still allowing her the joy of discovering a great book on her own.

Our nature blog: All of Creation
Back to Top View MichelleM's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleM

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 07 2006 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Michelle:

I understand your dilemma. We have an amazing library with a large children's section. In with some truly wonderful literature, there is a lot of junk that children need to be protected from! Wandering through the stacks doesn't usually work out well for us.

This might sound awful, but I don't think at her age she is ready to discover great books on her own. Perhaps by perusing some of the literature lists available to us ("A Landscape with Dragons" is a great place to start) you can narrow choices down to 4 or 5 books and let her pick from those.

Do you need links for lists of good literature? You said she's an accelerated reader. . .what level is she reading at?

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Michelle,

I have always used trusted book lists. I started out with Honey for a Child's Heart when I first started to homeschool because I was so ignorant about literature I knew I needed a guide.

Like Jenny I usually present a few choices from the reading lists. Then if they want to browse at the library we browse in the non-fiction section for which they're interested.

Now that I think about it, I think it prepares the child with a good method for choosing books. As an adult, I don't go into the library and browse the fiction shelves either because I find much better books by researching, choosing, reserving and picking-up.

As they get older (what age depends on the child's maturity) they can be taught to discern the worth of a book they find at random.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

This is a very difficult question. Very difficult.

My daughter recently began reading me "The Hostile Hospital" by Lemony Snicket. To my dismay, there was a joke insulting to Catholic belief in general and the Blessed Mother in particular right at the beginning of Chapter 3. It was subtle enough that a child might not realize it, but I was appalled that something like that would not have been edited out before publication.

My daughters read a lot, and they enjoy choosing books at the library. Sadly, I no longer trust that because something is labeled "children's literature" it will be morally sound. Old books are usually pretty safe, but it is a very difficult time for parents interested in presenting beauty and truth to their children. Coincidentally, I wrote a short post on this subject called Asleep at the Switch at my blog today.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

Do you need links for lists of good literature? You said she's an accelerated reader. . .what level is she reading at?

I would love some links! I do own Landscape with Dragons, Honey for a Child's Heart, FIAR's, PWB, & Real Learning. I also use catalogs to guide our selections. Unfortunately, I've been without these trusty companions for sometime while my husband has been finishing our basement.

As for dd's reading level, she has read Lord of the Rings three times. The first time she read it she was seven. We first listened to the Cd's together before we let her read it on her own. She has to wait for a long time before seeing the movie. She also has read most of Elizabeth's book Real Learning. Basically she devours books! She has read all of Sonlight 3's Read Alouds with ease. We have even had to restrict her from reading books like the Screwtape Letters and the Great Divorce by CS Lewis!

All this with only a little basic phonics! We never got past short vowel sounds. [:$

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

Like Jenny I usually present a few choices from the reading lists. Then if they want to browse at the library we browse in the non-fiction section for which they're interested.

Gwen,

Choosing from non-fiction is a great idea! Thanks!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: March 07 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

alicegunther wrote:
My daughter recently began reading me "The Hostile Hospital" by Lemony Snicket. To my dismay, there was a joke insulting to Catholic belief in general and the Blessed Mother in particular right at the beginning of Chapter 3. It was subtle enough that a child might not realize it, but I was appalled that something like that would not have been edited out before publication.

This is the only book in the series not carried by my library. No wonder.

One rule of thumb is to choose only books written before 1960...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

MacBeth wrote:
This is the only book in the series not carried by my library. No wonder.

One rule of thumb is to choose only books written before 1960...

Wow, MacBeth, you have a great library!

Right you are about the 1960 rule, at least for books you do not have a chance to preview. Thank goodness there are still newer great books being written--Lissa's two series come to mind, not to mention many other modern works recommended at your site.

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 07 2006 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Michelle:

Here's a site that has lots of links to literature lists:
http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/Library/ReadingLists.html

What about multiple volume sets of things like "My Book House"?

I'll look for other literature links to post as well. And can I just say, as the mom of a dyslexic 11yog who hates to read. . .I'm jealous!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Great topic. Here's what I do:

I read everything my kids read. (Admittedly, I am a fast, voracious reader with only two children. This approach isn't practical for everyone.) My son loves Star Wars novels; they're pretty safe if you don't mind the SF/fantasy theme. Most of the other books he selects are nonfiction, which makes things a bit easier. (Except for those ancient Roman emperors... )

For our read-alouds, I choose the books I loved when I was young, or I pre-read them. Same goes for school assignments...I try to plan literature selections over the summer so I have time to read all the books. Sometimes I end up rejecting one, but by sticking with older books, I do OK.

There are some great booklists out there. Sadly, so many great books I loved are out of print. (There used to be Catholic children's fiction in my school library, books by Alma Power-Waters and others...we need more books like those!)

I keep lots of good children's literature around the house. When someone wants a new book, I have "pre-approved" selections ready to go.

One other thought...if you love all those older books, go to your library and check them all out at least once a year. If those books don't circulate, they will be discarded...and the replacements might not be the kinds of books you want your children to read.

I own all the Betsy-Tacy books, but I try to check those out of the library every once in a while. Same for Laura Ingalls Wilder books, Lissa's books (not out of print, but we want them on the shelf!), Robert McCloskey books, etc.

Maybe there are some fiction writers lurking out there...my daughter LOVES Joan Stromberg's books about American saints, so much so that we went to Emmitsburg, MD to see St. Elizabeth Ann Seton's shrine after we read Stromberg's book about her. We really do need more Catholic fiction!

I'm looking forward to reading more about everyone's experiences and ideas.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 07 2006 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

In general, if I am not familiar with a book, either by recommendation from someone I trust or a booklist I trust, I will pre-read it before allowing my girls to read it. At times they get frustrated with waiting for me to get to or finish a book they want to read, but I think it's worth the effort to protect their innocence.

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

alicegunther wrote:

My daughter recently began reading me "The Hostile Hospital" by Lemony Snicket. To my dismay, there was a joke insulting to Catholic belief in general and the Blessed Mother

Coincidentally, I wrote a short post on this subject called Asleep at the Switch at my blog today.

Alice,

First, I think that having dd read to you is a wonderful idea! I rarely do this but I think this will be a great solution to those books that I think are probably okay but that I haven't read myself such as the Wizard of Oz series.

I also want to commend you for doing such a wonderful job in raising your daughter to know what is good, true and beautiful! What wonderful discernment she used!

I spoke with my dd today about Crispin and about my concerns with her having read that book. Thankfully, she told me she never finished it. Her reasoning was that it was too scary! Thankfully even if we may be "asleep at the switch"
the Holy Spirit isn't!

I really enjoyed my visit to Cottage Blessings!

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

alicegunther wrote:
   Thank goodness there are still newer great books being written--Lissa's two series come to mind, not to mention many other modern works recommended at your site.

Please, someone tell me about Lissa's books!    

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 07 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MichelleM wrote:
Please, someone tell me about Lissa's books!    

Melissa Wiley has a series of books about Laura Ingalls' grandmother and great-grandmother. You can find out more about them at her website.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

MichelleM wrote:

I really enjoyed my visit to Cottage Blessings!

Many, many thanks, Michelle. I appreciate everything you said.

Cottage Blessings

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I'm curious if anyone can recommend some longer audio books? Or knows a good list?

I have the same problem with pre-reading/pre-listening and the kids love audio books, but that means ALL the kids hear them (Ages 6-18mo). None of them is very interested in picture books on tape anymore since our drives are usually at least 1/2 hour, and it's hard for me to switch tapes often.

We've heard Narnia about a billion times and some Roald Dahl (Charlie and James but I'm not familiar with his other books). I need a change! Part of the problem is that I'll pick a book like A Little Princess but the reader is soooooooooooo boring that the kids don't want to listen.

Any thoughts?

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Rachel May wrote:
I'm curious if anyone can recommend some longer audio books? Or knows a good list?

It would be next to impossible to list all our favorite books on tape, but here is an off-the-top-of-my-head list of great ones:

The Wheel on the School by Meindert de Jong
The Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
Heidi by Johanna Spyri
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes
Winnie the Pooh (BBC recording)
Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry (along with other books in the Misty series, but not the painfully boring "Misty's Twilight")
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
The Treasure Seekers by E. Nesbit
The Would-Be-Goods by E. Nesbit

Perhaps our all time favorites are the Swallows and Amazons series written by Arthur Ransome and narrated by Gabriel Woolf, but they would not be available in your library. We special ordered our copies directly from England.

Cottage Blessings

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I am enjoying this topic!

I don't want to go to far OT, but I have to share with you an interview that I just found (after reading Alice's comment of the Lemony Snicket book). (Handler is Lemony Snicket's real name)

Handler: In one of my books there’s a place mentioned called “The Cathedral of the Alleged Virgin.” I’m Jewish, and all of Christianity is inherently funny to me. So, sometimes, I lose a little perspective on making jokes about that kind of thing. It just never occurred to me that anyone, anywhere would ever think that detail was anything but funny. But, of course, I got a couple of angry letters.

One of them said, “I’m a Catholic and for me, the Virgin Mary is like my mother. I feel like you’ve just insulted my mother.” She couldn’t have said anything that would make me feel less apologetic than that. First of all, when people make fun of my mom it’s hilarious. I wanted to respond, “I would love to make fun of your mother—too bad I don’t know her, so I wouldn’t know what to peg it on.” Now, if she’d said “It was like you were making of fun of the movie Moon Over Miami,” I might have agreed—that movie’s the Holy Grail. But her mother? Anyone’s mother is such a fertile field, for God’s sake.

Sedaris:Did you write back to her?

Handler : I developed a standard response, because I did get about five letters. I just said, “‘Alleged’ just means someone has claimed she’s not a virgin. It doesn’t mean she’s not a virgin, it just means some people have ‘alleged’ she’s not.”

Sedaris: That probably didn’t save you with her, I’ll bet.

Handler: Probably not.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

Rachel May wrote:

Any thoughts?

THE TRUMPET OF THE SWAN by E.B. White

We loved this! It is read by E.B. White himself!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Yuck, I always had a gut feeling about those Lemony Snicket books, though I know many have enjoyed them. I get very weary with cynicism in kids' books (or any books, or movies, for that matter!). But that's just me and my vintage mind, I guess

I tend to stick with the pre-1960 rule, tho I usually stretch it to 1965 (how daring, huh? )

MichelleM, if you can get your hands on Bethlehem Book's children's lit series called "In Review", do so. They are thoroughly enjoyable, thematic in nature, and very, very detailed (and easy to carry in your bag, to boot, slim volumes). Reading those books cover to cover was a real education for me in Children's Literature. While I might not agree with every little detail, on the whole, they are a course in themselves on children's lit!

All that being said, we have all the same struggles you and everyone else on this thread mention. The other day I almost passed out when one my dd's friend's mother told me that my voracious-reader dd had read "Confederacy of Dunces" (gulp)and that she (the mother) was letting her 10yo dd read this book as a result (double gulp). After I had finished hyperventilating, gasping on the floor like a flounder, I found out the mom had the titles mixed up and my dd had actually read "War and Peace", not "Confederacy"...
Whew!

The Battle of the Books is definitely an ongoing challenge!

Kelly in FL

Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version