Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: No Flames - Young Earth/Creationist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 17 2010 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

JennGM wrote:
guitarnan wrote:
No. Even the people who wrote about the penguins that frolic in the Arctic Ocean didn't respond. (Hmmm...maybe they were tracking walruses in the Gulf of Mexico...)

That is so funny. Isn't that a point in "Mr. Popper's Penguins" about this misinformation about penguins?

You would not believe the number of people that come here to Alaska and ask where they can see some penguins.*sigh*

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

lapazfarm wrote:
Speaking of lovely children's science books, I want to put in a plug for the Arabella Buckley books, especially Life and her Children, and all of the books by her in the "Eyes and No Eyes" series. Beautiful books, well written and perfect for read-alouds. I will be using several of these (including Wild Life in Woods and Fields,Birds of the Air, Insect Life, and Plant life in Field and garden) for JBug's nature study this year and I can't wait!
You can get a taste of them by reading full text online at the Baldwin Project here:Arabella Buckley

Oh, thanks for the reminder, Theresa! I remember this thread nature study reprints many years ago, that helped me sort out the differences of good nature stories and not-so-good.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

jillian wrote:
Thank you again :) I already feel very welcome here

You are so welcome, and thank you for joining in the discussions here .

Our family focuses on nature study in the early years, like others have said, focusing on wonder and experience. We don't do formal science programs and avoid all the controversy, confusion, and adult angst that can go with it. The time comes, soon enough, when the more challenging questions of the theory of evolution and all that entails bubble up. I see no reason to stress over this prematurely because when they are older, well grounded in their faith, and curious about BIG questions, it is a joy to dive into it together.
guitarnan wrote:
(My dd is Science Girl. We have read so many, many books about sharks, dolphins, marine biology, birds, dogs...she can find errors in library books, she knows so much! I have her write letters to the publishers...)

Nancy, maybe your dd will write the curriculum you describe! I bet she could find all sorts of support from several science moms here (I won't mention any specific names as not to put you all on the spot .)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Can I boast and admit I have a tiny little original of Wild Life in Woods and Fields.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
Can I boast and admit I have a tiny little original of Wild Life in Woods and Fields.

Boast away! I know you have marvellous treasures on those library shelves. And now that you have been able to revisit your "friends" and remind yourself what you have, even better!

I'm as envious as I'm allowed to be without sinning.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2010 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Erin wrote:

Neat!!!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

imcatholic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 17 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote imcatholic

These ladies have given some wonderful advise. But I don't like using books I have to give explanations about why they are wrong. Our family really likes Noeo Science - which currently has levels up to 9th grade. - which you have some time till. Another suggestion is don't look to far into the future - there may be newer and better things coming before you get there!
Back to Top View imcatholic's Profile Search for other posts by imcatholic Visit imcatholic's Homepage

jillian
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2010 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote jillian

We are trying to do more "living books" accurate information through stories for dd now but I definitely need something to guide me lol. DD has her favorites that we learn all about but she'd bee content to get the SAME books over and over and over again but I want to introduce her to some more things and I don't know where to begin for experiments at all
Back to Top View jillian's Profile Search for other posts by jillian

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Loads of ideas, it can overwhelming.

Janice Van Cleave has excellent resources. Here's her website. She has a new series for younger ones.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

You know, I am always impressed with the selection of picture books and videos in the public library's natural science children's section. And, since they're already arranged by topic, it pretty much lines things up right there! Even if your daughter wants to read only one of those books or look at one of those videos over.and.over.and.over. That's not a problem at 2 1/2 - actually it's age appropriate. I think I would lean toward nature topics- trees, plants, wildflowers, animals, birds - that she can see also in real life. Taking nature walks, or going to the zoo, or planting some seeds are great *lab* activities for someone her age. And I always find that when I do things like that after having read even a children's book about it, I see so much more and make so many more connections than I had before. (This won't be boring for you, either, is what I'm trying to say. ).

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 17 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

lapazfarm wrote:
Speaking of lovely children's science books, I want to put in a plug for the Arabella Buckley books, especially Life and her Children, and all of the books by her in the "Eyes and No Eyes" series. Beautiful books, well written and perfect for read-alouds. I will be using several of these (including Wild Life in Woods and Fields,Birds of the Air, Insect Life, and Plant life in Field and garden) for JBug's nature study this year and I can't wait!
You can get a taste of them by reading full text online at the Baldwin Project here:Arabella Buckley

LOVE the Arabella Buckley series!!! Makes for great read alouds...a little at a time...add in nature walks...and you have science for a couple of elementary years!

And, if we're boasting... ...I'll let you know that I have an original copy of Eyes and No Eyes (this contains all 6 books by Arabella Buckley in one book!) that I found...intact...with original color plates! Simply wonderful book!

Theresa,
You and JBug will have such a wonderful time with Mrs. Fisher's (Arabella Buckley's) work!! What a delight to read these!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 17 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

jillian wrote:
We are trying to do more "living books" accurate information through stories for dd now but I definitely need something to guide me lol. DD has her favorites that we learn all about but she'd bee content to get the SAME books over and over and over again but I want to introduce her to some more things and I don't know where to begin for experiments at all

You've found the right place both for guidance AND reassurance, jillian! Science in early elementary is a time of wonder; there are so many treasures to uncover and explore!

Give yourself permission to relax into this time of wonder. Question, investigate...and then read together. When you uncover a topic she enjoys - bees, butterflies, carrots, insect wings, the moon - find some great reading lists in the archives here or ask us and we'll definitely recommend away! Read together. Question again. It's fine not to have all the answers - just keep reading and looking for the answers together.

I sure hope we've let you know that we're not perfect, but we sure do love sharing ideas...and wondering aloud with our kids! Welcome to the club!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

It's also great fun to color printouts of some of the animals and plants you discover together. (This can get out of hand, but in a good way...my dd spent the better part of a school year coloring zillions of bird printouts from 50birds.com and Enchanted Learning. We put them all on a small corkboard so she could look at them. She's a whiz at birdwatching now. )

On the plant side of things, growing seeds is lots of fun.

As your dd gets older you can also have her make 3D animals from clay or play-dough.

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2010 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

Most of us have encountered the problems--some secular material is Secularist, purposely putting material that is indirectly, or even directly, demeaning to our Faith. Faith-based material are even worse, IMHO, because Protestants present incorrect theology or can also be demeaning to Catholic theology.

I was lulled into the great science of Apologia and thought I could deal with theological issues. In the end I spent too much time having to talk about where Protestants go wrong (important message but not something I want to become a frequent theme in all our studies.) I also found them to be much to textbook-y for my taste.

I used NOEO, too, and I realized I could do the same thing with the many wonderful books from my bookshelf rather than their suggestions. Besides, I found their primary grade Galileo book inappropriate and anti-Catholic.

Actually, Evolution is not the main science-religion discussion to date in our family but rather Transubstantiation. Like most of our children, being homeschooled, they have a very clear understanding of the Eucharist. I have explained that we have a natural world and a supernatural world. Transubstantiation, the angels at Mass, our souls and much more cannot be studied, tested, verified, explained by science because science by definition is limited to the physical world; we rely on revelation for what is happening in the supernatural world.

I use this to explain the atheism of many scientists. They limit themselves to the natural world because that is all they are capable of studying, and this is a mistake. My kids really "get" this, and I pray this understanding prepares them for the challenges they will meet especially if they decide to pursue a scientific career.

My experience has been that more of the Protestant material is anti-Catholic than the secular material, though as my kids enter middle school and I look ahead to high school I find the secular indoctrination gets turned way up. I pray for more Catholic high school material like Faith, Science, and Reason and the new Catholic biology book and online course due out in August.

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2010 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

I have not used these materials, nor am I familiar with the people who created the material (hmmm, sometimes even "Catholic" material needs to be vetted, eh?)...

Creation Lens has science material for K through 4. Interestingly you can choose the Catholic or Christian version, though it is produced by Catholics. It's not meant to be a complete program but you may find some interesting hands-on ideas and a tie-in between faith and science.

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

jillian
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote jillian

Thank you so much. She is very smart, picks up so much material that I don't want to dumb down what we are teaching (she understands so so so much and amazes me with what she understands) but I don't want to push her either. I am going to be designing a "preschool" curricula over the next month or so to help guide ME; not giving her goals but just so I have an idea. I will definitely using many of the sources y'all have given me :)
Back to Top View jillian's Profile Search for other posts by jillian

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2010 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

I did use two of the Apologia elementary science books but I think they were just too much too soon for our family.

I like Janice VanCleave's Science books and she has lots of them! I also like Kathryn Stout's Design a Study science book.

I do like Apologia for high school though because it is very thorough.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2010 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Back to the penguin thing for a minute...your Friday comic relief...

On page 252 of Martha Stewart's Cupcakes, there's a photo of a cupcake with two adorable penguins on top, next to a sign reading...

North Pole.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

guitarnan wrote:

On page 252 of Martha Stewart's Cupcakes, there's a photo of a cupcake with two adorable penguins on top, next to a sign reading...

North Pole.

But I'll bet they are REALLY CUTE penguiins

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2010 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

guitarnan wrote:

North Pole.

Argh!!!!!
That just happens to be one of those pets peeves of mine. The other one--you know that animated movie Barnyard where all of the cattle have prominent udders--even the MALES? I just.cannot.handle.it.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version