Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Nebel's Building Foundations of Science Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Bumping this thread. Can some of you who are using this for science provide me with some input?

We're bored with science!

We do love our nature walks, but I wanted to incorporate something more. We're using some science texts, which are colorful and visually interesting, but otherwise not very exciting. My older two, being boys, want to get involved in hands-on science. I don't blame them. The mom in me, though, that can't stand additional messes or "science projects" that don't teach anything (I'm thinking of the bright-orange "make your own goop" project that my oldest did last year that is now embedded in his bedroom carpet).

I noticed a like to this book from Mackfam's blog (thanks, Jen) and am intrigued. I ordered a sample of the book from Amazon for my Kindle and took a look for myself. Most of what I got was his theories and not much in terms of the meat of the book.

Couple questions:

-I have a Kindergartener and a 4th grader. I think the 4th grader would be bored with the K-2 book, but the 3-5 book wouldn't work with both of them, either. An I right?

-Does this require a lot of parent prep, parent teaching, and parent cleanup (LOL)? I'm thinking yes. Yikes, that just wouldn't work for me with two toddlers in the hosue.

-Any other suggestions for "living" science (other than nature studies) that I can do with both boys together? One that will encourage a love of learning and a love of experiments without making me crazy? Both of my boys have a real interest in science that I'd like to feed so that they can have a strong foundation for later.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

Monica, I am one of those moms that LOVES my science! However, I still have a hard time coordinating things with little ones underfoot. We've always been naturally drawn to nature studies, but this is the first year that I could say it has been placed on the curriculum. That being said I usually feel the draw to delve into other science topics with my kids. I really enjoy experiments as much as the kids, but certainly not the prep or clean-up.

This year I took the suggestions from Mater Amabilis and we are working with the kits from Home Science Adventures. I have to say that I was skeptical with an all-in-one kit, but we have really enjoyed it! Right now we are working through Microscopic Explorations a couple of times a week. It requires no prep from me and very, very minimal clean-up. Now I can't yet speak from their other kits as I have only worked with this one, but we are truly enjoying the simple experiments and the discussions that ensue!

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

jawgee wrote:
I have a Kindergartener and a 4th grader. I think the 4th grader would be bored with the K-2 book, but the 3-5 book wouldn't work with both of them, either. Am I right?

I'm so glad you bumped this thread! I am just noticing it now. What a wonderful resource this looks to be!

Would your 4th grader enjoy listening in on younger lessons regardless? I know my kids enjoy listening in most things. Usually if anyone gets bored it is the younger one after I have spent a great deal of time reading specifically to an older child. If you could entice the older child to listen in for a younger reading I'm sure that they would pick things up, as well as have some input in "teaching" the younger child what they already know. (A bit more of a Montessori idea I suppose.)

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We are using it. I bought the E-book version (you cannot print, but it is totally worth getting this version if your children are older, you're adapting or just assuring coverage of main concepts - or can handle everything be on the screen) --- for only $5 (I bought level 2 this way too to see where it goes).

I will definitely be purchasing levels 2 and 3 in print-form. It is totally worth it - if only to just to organize science and how to talk about it, truly integrating the concepts into your life. Not just teachable moments, but truly discussing and living it, without making huge changes in your lifestyle (one of the early lessons is on classification, so a trip to two different grocery stores reveals how to two different companies "classify" the food we purchase - are organic things mixed in or separate; where is the milk compared to other things; snacks, etc.).

We've really enjoyed it :)

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jessica, how are you approaching it? In what order are you covering the book?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

How we are using the book:

The scenario:
-I have a 7 year old son - who loves all things science (and reading, and handwriting, and history, and *finally* getting into the math --- ok, the kids just loves LEARNING )
-I have a Montessori co-op two afternoons a week (different children each class) for ages 3-9.
-I have two girls we spend lots of time with ages 12 and 14.
-I have the AMI Montessori training at primary and elementary
-I purchased the e-books (1 and 2) to see what it was all about.

Because we are doing Montessori geography and biology (geography includes geology, physics, astronomy, etc), I didn't think we really needed anything extra in the science area - but I was still intrigued.

It combines great with Montessori and provides those "by the moment" natural conversations.

I started with my son and the girls, going through each of the first lessons in thread A, extending for each one individually based on interest. We flew through those first many lessons, HOWEVER it did exactly what the title suggests: lays the foundation for further studies and understanding. Even though I figured the children "knew" these concepts, I did find it was great review and a great experience to highlight these moments.

We do a lot of conversation, with the hands-on part being that they are gathering the items we need. They are older and can do this of course.

We then started bouncing between threads A and B. Sometimes we might do two lessons a day; sometimes one. Sometimes one lesson will stretch for a couple of days. In the end, we are discussing these concepts in our day to day life without it feeling contrived (I used to own so many books about "teaching moments for science concepts" - they all felt contrived or like I had to have all the answers beforehand in order to catch those moments).

Then our co-op started and I have integrated the lessons seamlessly into our Montessori presentations, from all 4 threads. I love, love, love all things Montessori, but with the Science books, I have something more solid to say to the parents about how they extend things at home without having the Montessori materials and album pages.

The girls are starting to do lessons from book 2. Keep in mind they are "too old" for that book as well and should be in level 3.

BUT the series really builds on itself, so those foundations from the early books, breezed through if the child already understands them, are so worth covering!

I have found that the early lessons can really be started by very young children (2s, 3s). This is me coming from a Montessori background of course

Within our co-op, I will start a lesson with a group of children, then while they are off looking for and organizing various items, or collecting items for a demonstration, I can be doing something with another child or group. Typically everyone ends up listening in and just pick it up at their own level.

For Monica asking about the 4th grader and the 1st grader, I would suggest purchasing the first book in hands-on edition; purchase the second book in e-book. Have the 4th grader sit in on the lessons, along with the 3 year old. Then you'll have the level 2 available so that if your 4th grader is interested, you can look to level 2 and continue a concept with just him.

I have to admit, it's become so seamless I hardly think about the "how" we do it anymore :)

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Oh, excellent, thank you for that review!!! That sounds like a really good plan - buy Book 1 and then get Book 2 in e-book for my oldest.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Claire F
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Claire F

I just received my copy in the mail today!

I want to do something more structured for science for my 1st grader. He LOVES science and I'm really excited about the approach this book takes. It feels like a great fit for us. I am admittedly a little overwhelmed with the flow chart and the possibilities for how to proceed - but thanks to all of you, I knew to expect that! I've already gotten a lot of great insight from you all, so thank you for that!

I'm excited to dive into the book further and put together my plan of action. I'm hoping we'll cover part of the book this year and part next year in 2nd grade. We'll see how things progress, but I'm certainly excited (as is my little scientist).

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Hi ladies! Bumping this - not sure how many of you still use BFSU, but there are now some unofficial BFSU pinboards on Pinterest, created by a member of the yahoo group for BFSU. Here's the main one: BFSU general resources board
There isn't much on that board but there are also boards for each strand:

BFSU thread A resources

BFSU thread B resources

BFSU thread C resources

BFSU thread D resources

She has, so far, pinned various booklets, foldables, experiments and extensions that could go with several lessons. If you comment on a pin she'll add you as a collaborator. I think this could be a great tool to make use of BFSU even more exciting, and useful!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2012 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

AmandaV wrote:
Hi ladies! Bumping this - not sure how many of you still use BFSU, but there are now some unofficial BFSU pinboards on Pinterest, created by a member of the yahoo group for BFSU. Here's the main one: BFSU general resources board
There isn't much on that board but there are also boards for each strand:

BFSU thread A resources

BFSU thread B resources

BFSU thread C resources

BFSU thread D resources

She has, so far, pinned various booklets, foldables, experiments and extensions that could go with several lessons. If you comment on a pin she'll add you as a collaborator. I think this could be a great tool to make use of BFSU even more exciting, and useful!

Neat!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Bumping this thread to ask if anyone has graduated to his other 2 books: for grades 3-5 and 6-8?

I am now the proud owner of the complete set. I like the lessons for the older grades. But since we did not do vol. 1 with the boys from kindergarten, we have holes in our knowledge and would have to backtrack a bit in some cases. I'm just wondering if anyone has used the books for the older kids and what you thought about them, if you have any tips?

I'm going to go back through this thread and refresh my memory on cutting books apart.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2015 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm looking at these books again. I think I need to reorder Volume 1 since he revised it. Science has been a mess these past years.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version