Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Zucchini Recipes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 05 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Tina, I'm late in reading this thread but I did want to comment on what you said about huge zukes.

Unless it's a hybrid that I haven't seen yet, most zukes, summer (yellow) squash and cucumbers are best if picked while they aren't so big and tough. I generally don't waste my time on zukes that are so big that they are tough and the insides are starchy or something. They go to the chickens or compost pile if we accidentally get some like that. I've got 2 huge buckets right now that my mom sent to me this morning via my dh and I went thru them right away to check for the old ones (she knows I give them to the animals).

I just don't want to waste my time and energy on blanching, chopping, freezing, baking, etc. if they aren't going to turn out so well from the freezer. I have done that before and I really felt like kicking myself later, fwiw.

Thanks for all the recipes, y'all. I'm going to have to find that chocolate zucchini cake recipe...

JoAnna

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We use the bigger starchy zukes for "pizza". I slice them in rounds, brush with olive oil, a dab of pizza sauce, a few match sticks of pepperoni and a sprinkle of cheese. Broil until the zuke is soft.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 02 2011 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I replaced half of the milk in my bread pudding recipe with zucchini milk. Yum! Next time I may use all zucchini milk and I look forward to finding other ways to use zucchini milk in other recipes.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

We love these Zucchini Chocolate Chip muffins. My husband and I really like this Mexican Lasagna, too. It isn't so quick to make, but it is delicious. I usually double the recipe and freeze one to have for dinner later.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

We use the really big ones we miss when picking in a Potato Zuccinni soup- just chop up lots of both and fry with onions etc., add water and/or milk and blend when cooked!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version