Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: severe acne....what to do? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Erin wrote:
It is ongoing, and I think he was expecting instant results.

I wish!

I think this attention to detail -- creams several times a day, drinking certain things -- may be harder for boys than girls? (It is here, anyway!)

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

cathhomeschool wrote:
I think this attention to detail -- creams several times a day, drinking certain things -- may be harder for boys than girls? (It is here, anyway!)

I'd really agree here.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Stacy Y
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 19 2011 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Stacy Y

I don't check in here very often, but got a little time today and stumbled on this thread. I have dealt with acne my whole life, and took every prescription in high school and college. SOme worked, some didn't. Proactive made me break out in welts. I had my first baby at 21yrs, and have always been preg or nursing for the past 9 years so I couldn't take anything any more! Had to experiment...

My skin stays perfectly clear with Dr. Bronners all natural soap (about $4 a bar) and coconut oil as a moisturizer. I wash and moisturize twice a day. I gently pat the excess oil off with a towel in the am so that I can apply my makeup, but in the pm I just go to bed with a shiny face. It takes about 2-3 weeks for your skin to adjust to the new natural stuff, but then it is amazing! Coconut oil is so cheap on Amazon, and I pick up a bar of soap at the local CVS. The lavender or tea tree-oil soap are the best for acne. You can even brush your teeth with the peppermint soap if you like to avoid fluoride. I can't say enough about this stuff, so cheap- all natural- and a life saver for me! Hope it can help someone.

God Bless, Stacy

P.S. If I have any processed candy/candy bars, foods with hydrogenated oils, or corn syrup I still break out!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thought it time for an update, we've still been struggling, making great progress when we adhered strictly to diet but still not quite succeding. I ended up feeling we were dealing with two issues, internal and bacteria on the face. We visited the doctor's (ds first visit in 10 yrs) and he is currently on anti-biotics and an anti-biotic cream. Considering we have just had Easter with lots of 'wrong food' it is incredible that we are already seeing big results in two weeks. I can see diet will still play a big part but if we can just make some progress.

How are all your teens going?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

DS got acne pretty horrible last year. We tried proactive and after the inital 3 weeks it stopped working. DD14 was starting so we got the Neutrogena Complete Acne Therapy. DD didn't like it but it cleared her skin and once clean it didn't return. DS started using it and his skin is SO much better. There are very few breakouts and his skin is healing. The scarring worries are gone. There are still some red dots, but they are fading fast. I guess it has a bit of sting, but it doesn't dry his skin out like the Proactiv did. AND it works. It is $25 for a 2 month supply. And it actually lasts longer than 2 months for him. So it was a great find :)
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 28 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Well my teen and I are doing well all things considered -- no breakouts. The thing is that I don't know why! He has been off meds for several months. He's not using any creams and I'm not either. And for the last half of Lent we were eating cheese fairly regularly. I was convinced that it was a dairy thing. Now I'm wondering. :-/

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2011 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Maybe you want to look into Paula's Choice Skin Care. She has some help for acne here.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just wondering how all your teens are going? We still have a constant battle, get it good and then he eats something he shouldn't. Sometimes we know instantly, but sometimes it is a built up. we have been using a purifying mineral mask with good results! when applied consistently blemishes nearly go.

We've also just started delving into the use of coconut oil. Ds has been applying to skin and it appears that his scars are reducing!! A friend who got rid of a permanent scar in 4 days put us onto this!

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Erin, I'm glad you brought this up again.
Dd is having problems especially on the chin area. The honey does help around the nose and cheek area, but she needs something else for her chin. I am going to try to find a purifying mineral mask like you recommended.

Does your son use the coconut oil only on scars or does it come into contact with the acne too?

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Stepahnie

I was thinking of your dd so pleased to hear how she is going.
Ds is smearing it all over, including acne, at present his face has become a mess so can't really differentiate. I have noticed the large open pores are closing with the oil, and the scars on the side of the eyebrows appear to be reducing. We still have trouble knowing just how many scars he has due to inflammation. But seeing the open pores reduce is so heartening. It has only been several days.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Erin, is it just straight coconut oil your ds is using?

For myself, my skin is clearer than it's ever been as long as I avoid sugar and grains and do a good job with my probiotics. I notice my older two kids have much clearer skin when I feed them grain-free. Just tough to stick to that diet!!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2011 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angela

It is. I've also been using it for my own skin, feeling very soft

Ah probiotics, I need to get him back onto that.
thank you for the encouragement, he has been good with grains but keeps slipping with sugar. What happened was we were using tapioca flour, thinking it is grain free, but I really think it was too starchy, which is why his skin has inflamed back up. If it doesn't improve soon I may have to take him back off potatoes again for 6 weeks.

He has been having a chia seed porridge, do you think that could be a problem?

So is G's skin much improved?

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version