Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: severe acne....what to do? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

I was reading on a forum the other day that extra virg3n coconut oil can help. Some ladies said it had completely cleared up their faces for the first time. I'm intrigued anyway and am going to look into it. My face has gotten clearer since I started Barley green/wheat grass powder, and it would be great if coconut oil could clear the rest.

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Sharyn wrote:
I was reading on a forum the other day that extra virg3n coconut oil can help. Some ladies said it had completely cleared up their faces for the first time. I'm intrigued anyway and am going to look into it. My face has gotten clearer since I started Barley green/wheat grass powder, and it would be great if coconut oil could clear the rest.

Did some more reading and people seem to either love it,or not, what's new eh
Anyway, if it appeals do some research first, then spot test as some said it made it worse. Less seems to be more too. Only the slightest amount should be used.

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Found this NZ company that sells oils GoNative
another that was recommended was cold pressed red raspberry seed oil. None of these are cheap though.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Sharyn wrote:
I was reading on a forum the other day that extra virg3n coconut oil can help.

I had wondered about this, it's great for reducing sunburn.

Just wanted to share a quick update, I bought Manuka Honey (incredible product to use for many issues) and have been applying it topically to ds' face, neck and back. We have done three nights now and all I can say is "Wow!!!!" His face is the best it has been in two years, every morning it is better and better. There are patches of his face of lovely clear skin, and what does have acne is reducing radically

My teens are struggling emotionally with the diet, but we're trying to push past that. Typical teen he wants instant results and I think doesn't really see what a difference. But Manuka Honey is incredible!!!!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 1:48am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Erin, it is interesting that you are having such success with honey! I received an email recently with info on the benefits of honey and cinnamon. The report suggested mixing honey and cin. to form a paste to use on acne. My dd is willing to try it! I will have to tell her about your success.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 2:18am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Stephanie

As I was researching I came across the recommendation of mixing cinnamon with Manuka Honey, but ds already says he feels like a chicken being basted But you've reminded me, maybe I might suggest it again. I do remember reading that ordinary honey doesn't have the same impact as Manuka, but surely it would still have some benefits. How severe is dd's acne?

Ds is calling, "Time to be basted" he is saying

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Erin wrote:
Just wanted to share a quick update, I bought Manuka Honey (incredible product to use for many issues) and have been applying it topically to ds' face, neck and back. We have done three nights now and all I can say is "Wow!!!!" His face is the best it has been in two years, every morning it is better and better. There are patches of his face of lovely clear skin, and what does have acne is reducing radically

So glad you've found something that's helping him!

Does it have to be any particular type of Manuka?

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Erin wrote:
Stephanie

As I was researching I came across the recommendation of mixing cinnamon with Manuka Honey, but ds already says he feels like a chicken being basted But you've reminded me, maybe I might suggest it again. I do remember reading that ordinary honey doesn't have the same impact as Manuka, but surely it would still have some benefits. How severe is dd's acne?

Ds is calling, "Time to be basted" he is saying

I love it!

Erin, I really don't even know how to define acne. Dd just has a lot of pimples. She says she has more than any girl in her class??? No scars.
I also don't know what manuka is. I buy honey from a local beekeeper. I will try that first.

Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Sharyn wrote:
Does it have to be any particular type of Manuka?

Sharyn

I read somewhere that it has to have a strength of at least UMF16+. (I'm using 15+ and still getting results)

St Ann wrote:
I really don't even know how to define acne. Dd just has a lot of pimples. She says she has more than any girl in her class??? No scars.
I also don't know what manuka is. I buy honey from a local beekeeper. I will try that first.

Stephanie

I just knew ds' was bad, I googled for definitions and pictures and was able to define it then as moderate (I had thought severe) in fact it is or rather was possibly rosacea.   So wonderful your dd doesn't have scars

Manuka Honey comes from bee pollen gathered from the Manuka Bush that grows in New Zealand, which is probably why it is so expensive. I do believe ordinary honey can work too just doesn't have the same potency. Oh and we added a bit of cinnamon last night to the honey.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I am pasting from the email I received on cin. and honey.

PIMPLES:
Three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder paste. Apply this paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash it next morning with warm water. If done daily for two weeks, it removes pimples from the root.

There were also remedies for arthritis, fatigue, weight loss, heart problems...
This was not an official medical report, soooooo you just have to decide for yourself what looks reasonable.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

St Ann wrote:
If done daily for two weeks, it removes pimples from the root.

I didn't know this part so very helpful to know. So confusing, ds has only been wearing it for 20min-1hr before bed, there seemed to be so many conflicting opinions as to how long. I have wondered if overnight but he is not keen.

Regards cinnamon I mentioned using it in at my health food shop and the owner was aghast, she said using for too long affects the liver (I think). So I'll have to do some more research there.

Have you started the honey with dd?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2011 at 2:45am | IP Logged Quote Erin

We are still battling here, not always strict I guess, but we have still made big progress. Just thought I'd mention probiotics, we have added that to our regime and with in a matter of days nearly all inflammation has receded! and I can see skin healing!

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2011 at 3:44am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Erin, I'm sorry I never responded before... With just the honey method we have seen great improvements in Hannah's skin. We have been hesitant to try the cinnamon, so I can't comment on it. H. is never consistent in using the honey for long and then when she stops "treatment" it is visible. For other reasons we will probably have to make major dietary changes in our family and then we will see how that will effect our skin.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Stephanie
Wonderful news. We haven't used the honey for a while either, for some reason it has been difficult lately, I've been thinking though I should pick a couple of nights a week where we apply it. I'm still in shock over the probiotics, I wasn't convinced but now I am!

Love to know about what changes you are planning. We've been on a huge learning curve there too.

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Looks like you have more advice than you will ever be able to read...but a few tips from the ages....and a dermatologist in the past.

1. only wash the face with water. Everything else just drys it out to the point that it produces MORE oil...creating a never-ending cycle.

2. Do not touch the face with your hands! I cannot overstate this. The hands are covered in bacteria and then we put them all over the face. The less we lean on the face etc. the better. (as when listening to school lectures etc.)

3. Do not squeeze the pimples. This just spreads bacteria around everywhere.

4. We have found that anitbiotic ointment such as Neosporan on a single or isolated bump clears it up quickly.

5. Change the pillow case VERY OFTEN!!!! Maybe even every day in a bad case. Think about all the oil...it rubbing all over the pillow from the hair and face. Not good. Also, do not use pillows that cannot be washed. ONLY pillow cases that are washed very frequently should be used. Be careful about reusing washclothes/towels too many times. Clean, clean, clean stuff on the face only.

6. Do NOT use fabric softeners on the sheets or towels. Again...oily substance and detergents/irritants. Just makes it worse.

7. Do not snuggle with teddy bears etc. They are not washed enough and harbor bacteria.

8. Have girls pull hair back at night.Sleaking of hair...certain shampoos and especially conditioners can cause problems. Switch around shampoos etc. so that buildup does not occur, and also make sure a certain brand isn't irritating to the person.

9. If the person has been out working in the heat and dirt...make sure they wash the face with warm water (only) and then follow with a rinse of cold water to close the pores. This helps prevent blackheads/whiteheads etc. too.

10. And finally, acne can me much worse than the normal "pimples" that come up in teen-age/college years, so perhaps these "down-home" tips may not completely do the trick if it is a serious case, but I DO KNOW that these tips will work to an extent. Whenever I see a teenager with a really horrible case of acne, I want to go and ask them if they are touching their face...washing their pillow case etc. Obviously I do not, but my heart goes out to them. Hope something helps!!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Kim

Thank you for your advice!!!

Wow so much great advice I'm going to print it out. I didn't know about not touching the face, nor about working in the heat (big issue here at present). And the pillowcases, I did know that but not how important. You've motivated me.
Thank you

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Erin, so happy to hear about the probiotics. I'm going to try that with our oldest. His face has cleared up so much but still has very large, red cysts on his shoulders.

And thank you, Kim! I don't think that my son is good about washing his face with soap, but I'll tell him. I'm going to start changing his pillow case and shirt every night as well. He has oily hair. It used to be much worse, probably because he was on swim team.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2011 at 2:05am | IP Logged Quote Erin

cathhomeschool wrote:
Erin, so happy to hear about the probiotics. I'm going to try that with our oldest. His face has cleared up so much but still has very large, red cysts on his shoulders.

Janette

What have you done that you believe has created the change with your ds?

Btw we've also received facial cream made from 7 different herbs that attack bacteria, this has made a huge difference (when he is consistent).

Regards swim team, ds' eczema has disappeared since he stopped swim team. Assuming the chlorine aggravated it.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Erin wrote:
What have you done that you believe has created the change with your ds?

Btw we've also received facial cream made from 7 different herbs that attack bacteria, this has made a huge difference (when he is consistent).

Regards swim team, ds' eczema has disappeared since he stopped swim team. Assuming the chlorine aggravated it.

Well, he was on accutane.      Lavendar oil, diet and prescription creams helped as long as he was homeschooling. Once we put him in school I think the change in diet (minor, actually), swim team, lack of sleep and increased stress was too much. After a year the doctor recommended accutane. He is off of it now, and it never completely cleared his back. I think that's because he ate more dairy while on the meds. He is watching his diet again but that won't be enough so we need to add something.

I looked into NAET thinking it might help eliminate the dairy issue, but I have serious questions about whether or not it really works or is just mental.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

cathhomeschool wrote:
He is watching his diet again but that won't be enough so we need to add something.

This is what we are finding, it is not just a matter of one thing changing.

We are trying to watch diet (have slipped a bit, not with grains but dairy and potato), using probiotics and anti-bacterial cream (ds is supposed to use this twice a day but will only do it once), using vitamin supplements and now changing pillow slip. It is ongoing, and I think he was expecting instant results.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version