Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: severe acne....what to do? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 08 2010 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Here's an interesting book about diet and acne.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Roxy

It was a mis-spelling

Eva

That book looks fascinating but I can't find any sellers in Australia What sort of foods do they address?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Just to throw in a few MORE ideas

I recently worked for a dermatologist for a couple of months (his family attends our church, and I'll say that after working for him, I would trust him with my life - he is just a really good doctor, even if I disagree with everything he does (he's part of a mainstream partnership clinic, so I don't know how much leeway he has with "natural remedies)).

Anyway, he would prescribe antibiotics for some patients. And I saw some amazing results with the accutane when nothing else worked (but what a nightmare the paperwork is for that stuff!!!!!).

He also recommended washing with a true moisturizing wash (I'll come back and add the names when I get a chance - the two names he used the most are slipping my mind right now).

However, for *all-natural*   -----

When I was pregnant, I found that "no washing at all" actually worked the best. I would splash water on my face in the shower and *that*was*it. Cleared up the acne. My face just needed to work out the proper oil combination. Now I can splash water daily and it's great.

(I don't wear make-up, or sunscreens on my face, or use any lotions/creams on my face except in the coldest part of winter when our heat dries me out too much and we're in the middle of a fasting season (no oil)).

Really - less is more - let the body work out its proper balance, then treat just what needs to be.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote Erin

florasita wrote:
   Honestly I think we need live near the ocean so ds could swim everyday it is the only time he is fully clean when he goes swimming all summer long .

I meant to say we have noticed since ds has taken to swimming 4 times a week his acne has reduced. And definitely when he eats chocolate it becomes angry, red and pimply!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2010 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Erin wrote:

That book looks fascinating but I can't find any sellers in Australia What sort of foods do they address?

I haven't read the book about acne, but I own Paleo Diet by the same author. He basically bases his diet on high quality meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, and good fats. (No grains, dairy, sugar, salt, potatoes, junk food).

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2010 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Oh dear, I knew sugar but the other items!

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2010 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Erin wrote:
Oh dear, I knew sugar but the other items!

It is quite daunting, but you could do it slowly, or try rotating the groups.
A similar approach, but not as restricting, can be found in the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. That book keeps the salt, some dairy, and allows honey.

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2010 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

Chari,
Proactive has worked for me in the past. I have also heard good things about going raw milk and no refined foods (dh won't let me go raw...yet). Milk chocolate will still make me break out, but dark chocolate won't .

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2010 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Does anyone know anything about The Acne Cure by Terry Dubrow? I've just been reading his book and he guarantees results in 24hrs, success in most cases by 6 weeks. His steps include Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2010 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Don't know about glycolic acid, but salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are fairly standard in acne washes that you buy over the counter, and I think also in stronger doses in lots of the things the dermatologists prescribe. I know we have lots of bleachy-spotted towels to prove we've used things with benzoyl peroxide in them!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 24 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

Ladies,

Here is a warning for something to watch out for when using lavender and tea tree oils on boys.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

That's very interesting, about the lavender and tea tree oils. The only children I've had use this are girls; my son just uses the stuff the derm. prescribed. Thanks for the heads up.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 20 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well we are still struggling with this issue. Ds is rather defeatist about it all and won't really co-operate by using the creams and soaps regularly. Still we did notice a reduction of the pimples re the cream (Oxy 5) and the swimming. He definitely flairs up with some foods (chocolate) so I can control what comes into the house there.

What I am concerned about now is how much scarring may be under the redness, is there anything to do to reduce scarring? Any creams? When should you consider doctors?

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

I think that vitamin E oil would reduce the scarring, or even stretch mark cream . I also remember Jethro Kloss noting a man that ate a diet of only grapes for a time (2 weeks?)to basically cleanse his system and his severe acne cleared up. HTH

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

My dd had some good luck doing a 7 day regimen from Neutrogena.
Rapid Clear Kit
However, after that, she decided to be lazy about it again, and didn't keep up with her usual routine and it has returned. So I need to start her again.

Dh is a chemist by education and he has the kids use one product Neutrogena'sOn the Spot in the morning and then Neutrogena's Rapid Clear at night. I couldn't tell you what his science is, he's tried to explain it to me, but it has to do with hormones/the different levels of acids in each/ blah blah blah.

It works when you keep up with it. It's just I can't get the kids to keep up with it.

For what it is worth, he'll only use the barfor his face and body. He doesn't have any acne problem, this is just his daily soap.   He also has taught me not to ever dry my face off with a towel because of bacteria/germs on the towel.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Right I've done it; I bought the Dietary Cure for Acne as an ebook, have read it, digested and we are switching over to the Paleo diet gradually over the next month. Then we will do a detox regime and see how it goes.

We have already eliminated a few foods (baked goodies and Cornflakes) and seen a change, no new pimples!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Has anyone ever used Stevia for their skin? I found the following info. on the internet and I am interested.

Excerpt below, whole article here.

Wrinkles and Other Skin Conditions
Stevia is believed to be a remarkable healing agent for skin disorders. Its antioxidant, antibacterial and antiseptic activity may help with wrinkles, skin blemishes, dermatitis, eczema, acne outbreaks, scarring, rashes, itchiness and chapped lips. A small amount of Stevia concentrate applied directly onto the affected skin may promote the healing process. To smooth out the wrinkles, before going to bed, apply a paste made by crushed Stevia leaves or its liquid concentrate evenly all over the face and let it dry for fifteen to twenty minutes. Wash and pat dry your face and apply a few drops of extra virgin coconut oil on the face and leave it on over night to benefit from its antioxidant effects.
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Erin, I wish you good luck with the diet!!!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Eva

Thought you'd be interested to know after a couple of months of gradually eliminating all processed foods, grains and potatoes we have started the 30 day elimination diet. Well truthfully we kept sweet potatoes in, we can't eliminate any further.

We are all feeling much better overall, and in the week since we have started the 30days ds' acne inflammation is getting less and less. Actually seems to be traveling down gradually, going down the face and flaring up on his body.

He is on higher doses of Fish Oil and Zinc tablets and I also bought Manuka Honey today, we are going to use that topically. Ds wavers from noticing changes to stating sadly, "I'll never get rid of it all."

Anyhow it is a journey we are all sharing with him, so I'm praying for big things.

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Oh, Erin, I have been wondering about how it is going with you and your family. I've peeked over at your blog several times. I'm so glad the diet is helping a bit. I also had to think about a comment you made about the fact that you used to be vegetarians and that all this meat was very different from your old ways of eating.

I thought I would mention one other idea from the ancient Indian health system Ayurveda. They recognize three different body types (vata, pitta, kapha). Pitta is the one that is prone to acne. Here is a link to what a pitta diet would look like. You can see some similarities to the paleo diet, but all food groups are allowed -- although with restrictions within each group. I don't want to confuse you, but I thought that if the paleo diet won't give you the desired results and you want to go back to a more vegetarian diet, then maybe this will help. You would still cut out all artificial ingredients and would have to cook from scratch. By the way, fish oil is a good supplement for "pitta." Have you also tried any cultured foods?

Please, keep me updated! I'll keep you and your son in my prayers.    

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version