Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Sunscreen: Natural, organic Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 26 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

Hi Moms~

Can anyone recommend a good, natural sunscreen? I just finished reading this article on sunscreens.

And we need to switch. I'm convinced.

However, if you follow the link to the recommended sunscreens, I couldn't find any one of them for less than $8-9 per 4 ozs.

What family uses only 4 ozs of sunscreen?

Or I should say...living in a tropical climate...this family goes through sunscreen like water at some points in the summer.

So...has anyone found a more affordable (or bulk) supply of natural, organic sunscreen?

Or made your own?

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2010 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Ugh. I feel your pain. I read the article as well. My search for sunscreen is compounded by the fact that my dd can not use any with glycerin or sorbitol on the ingredients list.

In the past I have used and liked California Baby, but my dd can't use that now. However, it does get a good rating, and you can even get it a Target.
On-line stores like Vitacost or drugstore.com frequently have good deals and/or free shipping.

I have gone with Badger unscented this summer. I made a bulk order from Luckyvitamin.com.   I have also found it at times on Amazon for a good price from American Wholesale, but the availability is unreliable there.

My dh has a fit over the price- it does seem pretty high. But, considering our limitations and that even regular sunscreen is not cheap and isn't really doing anything, anyway, I guess we will have to budget for this. If you can use the california baby, I would go with that. I always liked it.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 26 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We use California Baby.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

oh man ... I almost didn't read this post. now I am officially freaked out. sunscreen is a daily part of life around here, year-round. and I stocked up (it was a great sale ) on a brand that got a medium rating

time to go research alternatives, I guess. and as grumpy as I am, I must say THANKS, MAGGIE, FOR POSTING THIS!

hmmm. so ... do I toss the brand new bottles of questionable stuff? seems wrong to donate them to a thrift store but I don't know if my thrifty nature will allow a cold-blooded purging into the trash ... ARGH!

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

reduce sunscreen use.. wear more clothes and hats

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

JodieLyn wrote:

Yes!!! I finally got us all some rash guards and hats and we need much less sunscreen now.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2010 at 1:22am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

organiclilac wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:

Yes!!! I finally got us all some rash guards and hats and we need much less sunscreen now.

This is exactly what we did during our year in south Florida. Of course, I didn't have children spending the whole day on the baseball field. There is absolutely no shade on a baseball field and a baseball cap wouldn't be enough at certain times of the day, if you are the fair skinned type, imo. We always looked for shady places to play. It was just too hot otherwise.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 27 2010 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I wanted to mention that if you watch the Overstocks at Lands End, you can get nice rashguards on sale. They have free shipping all the time, especially if you are on the e-mail list.

I like their rashguards because they have the elbow length sleeves. Also, the swim trunks come down to my ds's knees. That helps a lot with cutting down on sunscreen use. Then I wear a rashguard, too, and a swim skirt, so I am more covered up and need less sunscreen (plus I don't have to try to put it on my own back or shoulders, which is never fun... I feel like a pretzel trying to do that ).

I talked to my neighbor earlier this week about this topic, and she assured me that the government wouldn't allow the sale of sun screens that are not safe and effective. If only.... sheesh, the cancer/smoking issue was hushed up for *years* by the tobaccos companies to prevent loss of income. Lead in toys... I believe we really need to do our own homework.

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2010 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Maggie

SeaStar wrote:
I wanted to mention that if you watch the Overstocks at Lands End, you can get nice rashguards on sale.

I love rashguards. It is the only "swimming suit" I will allow my children in. It protects so well from this hot, Florida sun...and it's modest. Woohoo!

As for trusting the government on whether something is "safe"...

Not a chance.   

Unfortunately, we do a lot of "homework" around here to determine whether medicines/products, etc are really "safe" or not. Time-consuming, but it has to be done.

Which is why I ask all you lovely ladies... [

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 27 2010 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

We used the Kiss My Face brand at the beach in Florida last week, and it worked! The only problem is that it's not waterproof, so you have to be sure to reapply it frequently, and after each swimming session. Three of us went through 2 tubes of it in just 3 days.

I don't like the rashguards because I worry that they interfere with Vitamin D production.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 27 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

This post is timely! I just saw that the California Baby sunscreen is the daily deal at target.com. It's $13.99 and has free shipping.

Target

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 27 2010 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

JaysFamily wrote:
I don't like the rashguards because I worry that they interfere with Vitamin D production.

So does sunscreen. You don't need hours and hours or a lot of skin exposure to get enough vit. D from the sun when it's available. And when it's not available you can't get enough from the sun anyway.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 27 2010 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

There was a homeschooling mom that spoke at our conference last year that suggested that eating lots of cod liver oil made skin less susceptible to burning. See her blog here: Organic and Thrifty: Natural Sunscreen Protection With Real Foods

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2010 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I have heard that about CLO also - we take it regularly here. I think we'll go with California Baby this summer too. Ugh.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 27 2010 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

MelissaClaire wrote:
This post is timely! I just saw that the California Baby sunscreen is the daily deal at target.com. It's $13.99 and has free shipping.

Target

That is a great deal

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

MelissaClaire wrote:

Target

Am I reading that bottle correctly? 2.9 ounces for 13.99?

Sounds expensive...

Or am I not seeing that number correctly (it is fuzzy blowing it up on the computer screen).

DianneF
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 28 2010 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote DianneF

I have to chime in here and give California Baby my highest vote! I've been using their products for almost 3 years now and I absolutely love them. I've used their bath soap/shampoo and bug spray and now after reading that article about sun screen, too, I was thrilled to see California Baby on the list of good sun screens to use. I get mine at Whole Foods, but Target does carry this brand also. :-)
Back to Top View DianneF's Profile Search for other posts by DianneF

Becky Le
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 02 2010 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote Becky Le

Shaklee makes a sunscreen that is all natural and paraben free that is $16 for 4 ounces. We use Blue Lizard which is around $13 for 5 ounces. It is rated "3" because of the parabens. I hope they will come out with a paraben free version soon but for now it is the best we can afford with 5 kids who spend most of the summer at the beach.

ETA: If you have a Health Savings Account you should be able to use it to purchase "high SPF" (ie. 30 or above) sunscreen. According to my HSA this is an allowable purchase.

Trinity
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 22 2010 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Trinity

We switched to Trukid sunscreen this year. Works great and has a nice light scent. It is zinc oxide based and doesn't contain any nano particles.

I think it is only available online, but if you use code twitter20 it takes 20% off orders over $25 I believe.
Back to Top View Trinity's Profile Search for other posts by Trinity

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Arghh.... I HATE shopping for sunscreen. I used to hate shopping for bathing suits the most, but I think now sunscreen has outdone that.

California baby is up to $18-19 per tube... just not doable for me with kids in the sun at the beach and pool from April-September.

I was not happy at all last summer with using Badger. It did not seem to work as well as the previous summer.

Blue Lizard has parabens

I, of course, would stay inside in the A/C all summer and skip all the water, plus wear a hat just to go out to get the mail, but my kids...not.

We do hats and rash guards to cut down on the body parts that need sunscreen, but WAHHHHH. I have to buy something.

See? This is why I am unfun. Sunscreen shopping

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version