Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: How Does Your Garden Grow? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Michiel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 11 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Michiel

We're in zone 6, so I wait until the end of May. A little late, but I've lost things by planting earlier, and this way works better for the procrastinator in me.

I'm going easy: just some tomatoes and beans. BUT, we are going to try the sunflower house outlined in "Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots" this year as soon as I can get dh to break the soil and I figure out how to keep the deer away.

Back to Top View Michiel's Profile Search for other posts by Michiel

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 11 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Michiel wrote:
We're in zone 6, so I wait until the end of May. A little late, but I've lost things by planting earlier, and this way works better for the procrastinator in me.

I'm going easy: just some tomatoes and beans. BUT, we are going to try the sunflower house outlined in "Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots" this year as soon as I can get dh to break the soil and I figure out how to keep the deer away.

It seems a few years I was planting around Memorial Day, which was late for my zone, but it worked out okay.

That sounds like so much fun with the sunflowers. Here the problem is squirrels, and I will not tempt them with sunflowers. It just was not a pretty sight to see them go CRAZY over those sunflowers!

I'm telling you, they are super nuts. One this week was on my deck, and I was shooing it away. Every time I said "Shoo!" it made a noise right back at me! It was back talking to me!! They are definitely not scared!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2010 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Angel wrote:
Our berry bushes are also waking up. The jostaberry bushes my dh planted last year look really good. Now I am just wondering what one does with jostaberries.

Yes, what ARE they?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I'm so late getting back to this thread! (I seem to be saying that a lot lately.)

We had to do some research. Jostaberries are apparently a cross between a black currant and a gooseberry. You can eat them out of hand, but apparently they make good pies.

I'm hoping they're less tart than black currants. If you've ever tried to eat a handful of black currants off the bush, you'll know what I mean. The jostaberries do seem phenomenally hardy, though. They bore up under 4 feet of snow with no broken branches!

Thanks for the discussion about square foot gardening, btw. We may need to head in this direction when we move, so we're trying to learn more about it now.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2010 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

JennGM wrote:
I'm telling you, they are super nuts. One this week was on my deck, and I was shooing it away. Every time I said "Shoo!" it made a noise right back at me! It was back talking to me!! They are definitely not scared!

I have visions of you shooing away this defiant squirrel and I'm laughing! We have chipmunks that are pretty tough around here! They scold our golden retriever when she gets too close.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2010 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I just noticed today that my wisteria vine in FINALLY blooming after 11 years! I had all but given up on it! I had heard that they take a while to bloom but this was getting ridiculous.
Of course, all you southerners are probably laughing at me. When we took a recent trip to NC I saw wisteria growing like weeds up trees, over trellisses, on mailboxes (all blooming beautifully of course!) I couldn't believe it. I just kept thinking of how much I paid for the silly thing!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Becky Parker wrote:
I just noticed today that my wisteria vine in FINALLY blooming after 11 years! I had all but given up on it! I had heard that they take a while to bloom but this was getting ridiculous.
Of course, all you southerners are probably laughing at me. When we took a recent trip to NC I saw wisteria growing like weeds up trees, over trellisses, on mailboxes (all blooming beautifully of course!) I couldn't believe it. I just kept thinking of how much I paid for the silly thing!

Wow, you have patience to wait that long. But that is so great!

I love wisteria. I get wistful over wisteria. Dh went to the Masters Tournament in Augusta, Ga, and he was just wowed by the huge wisteria. I think they claim it is the oldest and largest in USA?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2010 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Angel wrote:
Our berry bushes are also waking up. The jostaberry bushes my dh planted last year look really good. Now I am just wondering what one does with jostaberries.

We have 2 jostaberry bushes and 3 currant bushes. This will be our first full summer in this house, and my first experience with harvesting and eating jostaberries. I wonder if you could make good jam or jelly with the jostaberries?

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I am also trying out new things in our garden. I have 2 tomatoe plants, 1 green zuchinni, 1 yellow zuchinni and 2 little rows of salad greens. I have yet to see squirrels, but birds we do have. We'll just have to see day to day how the plants take to the environment and the environment to the plants. Here in Germany, today is the day that you "may" begin planting without fearing frost(but should actually await St. Sophie on the 15th. Everyone says to wait for the "Eisheiligen" or "Ice Saints", St. Sophie, St. Boniface, St. Servatius, St. Mamertus and St. Pancras... People call it Kalte Sophie! or Cold Sophie! I did plant my tomatoes a week ago but was vigilant watching temperatures. I did cover them a couple of nights Just in case.

Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Our neighbors have generously given us 2 small lavender bushes and lily of the valley, albeit unknowingly. They are spreading into our garden from under the wooden fence. I love it and plan to replant some of the lily of the valley to another spot later in the season. I have to look up when the best time to replant would be.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

St. Ann wrote:
Here in Germany, today is the day that you "may" begin planting without fearing frost(but should actually await St. Sophie on the 15th. Everyone says to wait for the "Eisheiligen" or "Ice Saints", St. Sophie, St. Boniface, St. Servatius, St. Mamertus and St. Pancras... People call it Kalte Sophie! or Cold Sophie! I did plant my tomatoes a week ago but was vigilant watching temperatures. I did cover them a couple of nights Just in case.

Oh, I just read this in the Old Farmer's Almanac email

Quote:
Spring may be in full swing, but May 11, 12, and 13 often revert to the colder days of winter, according to weather lore.

The Three Chilly Saints—-Mamertus, Pancras, and Gervais (also called Mammertius, Pancratius, and Gervatius or Servatius)—-often celebrated their feast days during a cold snap. Some called them the Ice Saints or Frost Saints, and many farmers held off planting until after the Three Chilly Saints’ days had passed.

Germans knew these days as the Icemen Days, and both the English and French watched for a late frost at around this time. St. Boniface (May 14) and the chilly “blackthorn winds” were sometimes associated with them, too.

St. Pancras Day [May 12] never passes without frost.

We didn't have frost, but really close this weekend, which was surprising for our area.

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 13 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

We just spent about a week visiting in Missouri. Before we left, we checked the forecast and it was calling for temps in the 70s and 80s, so we packed short-sleeved shirts and shorts. The day we arrived, a cold front came in and dropped the temps to the 50s. We had to borrow some warm clothes!

The fun part of it is that we learned that in that area, they are used to a cold spell coming in early May after the warm temps have already settled in, and they call it Blackberry Winter! We did see Blackberries in full bloom everywhere - they should have a tremendous harvest!
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 13 2010 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

I will be spending this year killing weeds and restoring the soil! I totally left it to run wild last year and now I'm paying the price! I do have a few strawberry plants and some lavender remaining though...and some poppies and a peony.

Why you shouldn't neglect your garden for an entire year!

We are just now starting to get blossoms on the strawberries. We've had an unusual string of cold and freezing temps overnight this May. Better to wait til Memorial Day here too!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

LeeAnne, I'm so glad you mentioned about Lupines! I will not put them in my vegetable garden, but only up front!

Looks like you have a battle. But isn't weeding so rewarding?

I'm just a gushing gardener because I notice how happier I feel when I start planting and nurturing my garden. Playing in the dirt makes me happy.

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 13 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Ha, I was just reading about your broad-spectrum herbicide disaster of last year, Jennifer. Hope you were able to plant something beautiful.

I just did another hour of weeding (using the hula hoe) and to my surprise, I'm 95% done! Wow, thank you, Jesus! There is a small stubborn patch I will have to get my husband to work on...my hands are already sore and have blisters in the making! Tomorrow I'm going to get black plastic and spikes and start restoring that soil!

Well, I can check "labora" off on my daily "ora et labora" list today! And I am SO GLAD to have it done. I wouldn't say gardening makes me happy...but it sure does make me feel virtuous!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

LeeAnn wrote:
Ha, I was just reading about your broad-spectrum herbicide disaster of last year, Jennifer. Hope you were able to plant something beautiful.

Was that last year? Happily things grow there, and I've had good success!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2010 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

hmmm reading about mixing the flowers and veggies.. I'm not gonna plant lupine my mom is allergic so that was out to start with.. but I am thinking I might plant some nastursiums this year.. those are fun.. the flowers are edible.. it can make quite a pretty salad to have flowers mixed in.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 14 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

I love nasturtiums! They are my very favorite. I got the weeds under control today and even planted a few lettuce starts; cilantro and chives seed too. I may yet get some strawberries. And the lavender is doing well. I guess I should figure out how to harvest it this year and maybe use it in some recipes.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 17 2010 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

LeeAnn wrote:
I will be spending this year killing weeds and restoring the soil! I totally left it to run wild last year and now I'm paying the price! I do have a few strawberry plants and some lavender remaining though...and some poppies and a peony.

Why you shouldn't neglect your garden for an entire year!

We are just now starting to get blossoms on the strawberries. We've had an unusual string of cold and freezing temps overnight this May. Better to wait til Memorial Day here too!

We have one ripe strawberry and various flowers and small green ones! Very exciting for the boys!

LeeAnn, I keep thinking about the lupines, and how you mentioned some geographical areas refer to them as invasive. It totally turns the Miss Rhumphius story upside down on its head if you take that spin...

But I just read somewhere else that here in our zone lupines don't do well. Too much heat I think....

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 17 2010 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

JennGM wrote:
LeeAnn, I keep thinking about the lupines, and how you mentioned some geographical areas refer to them as invasive. It totally turns the Miss Rhumphius story upside down on its head if you take that spin...

But I just read somewhere else that here in our zone lupines don't do well. Too much heat I think....

Ha ha, I would believe that lupines might not be considered invasive everywhere. Here they are planted on the interstate median because they spread and spread and spread...they do look pretty though! I planted three in one bed...these are raised square foot beds...and they magically appeared across the garden in other beds.

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

LeeAnn, I have some lupine seeds that I planted a year or two ago and they never took...the rest of the seeds have been waiting patiently in the back of our frig for another chance. Dh just made a small bed in front of an old shed that we moved near our new garden bed...I think we'll have try lupines again. Sure wish plants would magically appear in our garden beds! Miss Rumphius I'm not!

Jodie, I'm trying nasturtiums for the first time this year! I've been reading a lot about companion planting too. One of the books I borrowed from the library mentions marigolds, nasturtiums and borage quite a bit. There are others, but I thought we'd focus on those primarily.

I'm having such a hard time waiting until the end of May to plant! Reading about everyone's gardens gives me hope though! At least we've been enjoying some extra preparation time! The birds have been serenading us whenever we work outside and we've been able to do lots of extra little things to improve our old garden areas and create new ones. Dh mowed a path to our newest garden spot....now we can traipse through a lovely wooded area when we venture out to our vegetable garden.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version