Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: dresses only? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 13 2010 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Land's End Plus Size Dress Selection This is where I buy my clothing. Sizes go up to 3X or 26W. Check the Overstocks too.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I was browsing the clearance at Soft Surroundings (the only section I could ever shop there) and noticed a lot of things in plus sizes. It isn't easy to tell what sizes things are from the picture (or what is available) or to sort by size, but the few things I have from there is good quality.

I have a plus-sized friend who got several skirts made here. She loves these skirts and they seem very reasonably priced!

It looks like she isn't doing any more customs until next month, though, due to an injury

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2010 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I like this lady's work.. I've had several dresses/jumpers made by her.. and I'm considering having another couple made for this summer.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Do any of you have varicose veins? I find it easier to wear skirts in the colder weather when I can wear tights. In the summer, I prefer pants as they cover my legs. My worst veins are in my ankles and foot - so even really long skirts don't cover them. I can't imagine anyone wants to look at them!

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2010 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

In case this thread is not enough talk about skirts wearing for you , I wanted to direct your attention to previous discussions on the issue:

Modesty is...
Modesty and girls revisited
For those in skirts exclusively...
Skirts and virtue
Tights? Boots? Modesty When it's cold 17 pages!!!!
Regarding a skirts-only argument
A question about modest clothing

And Mary, re: varicose veins, mine are mostly at the knees, so I haven't had this problem yet! I can imagine that would be annoying! I do have pants still that I am keeping for a couple of reasons. I am looking now for some longer tops that cover the seat of my pants--maybe going for a Western salwar kameez look.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

what about lightweight knee high socks to wear in the summer?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

crusermom wrote:
Do any of you have varicose veins? I find it easier to wear skirts in the colder weather when I can wear tights. In the summer, I prefer pants as they cover my legs. My worst veins are in my ankles and foot - so even really long skirts don't cover them. I can't imagine anyone wants to look at them!

My veins are hideous. And I am very fair. The combo is not attractive.   

I can only wear long skirts, too. But many aren't even long enough on me, and hit an unflattering area on the calf, unless I pull down to my hips.

Would be a good time for all of us to be making our own clothing again, with individual measurements and all, or have a personal tailor........NOT. going to happen. for me.   

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2010 at 1:37am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Mary, I have varicose veins too. I almost always wear skirts with tights. Here the weather is really only HOT 2 months of the year. I have knee high support hose that I can wear then, but those skirts with slits make life really difficult.
In Florida, I just wore my skirts with sandles. No tights. I am 47 years old and have varicose veins. I am sure people saw them, but no one got ill or anything. Maybe I just don't have any pride anymore

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2010 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

St. Ann wrote:
I am sure people saw them, but no one got ill or anything. Maybe I just don't have any pride anymore

Stephanie, this is so funny!

I have varicose veins as well that are on my lower ankle & foot so I try to wear longer skirts. I've considered surgery (when a friend had hers) & my husband would totally support me but then I have this thought that I don't want to get rid of my "battle scars" .

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Thanks for the thoughts ladies. Socks would be tough most of the year in south Texas. I don't think I would make anyone sick, but I know when I am pregnant they get really bad and people kept telling me that my feet were purple.   I like the idea of a personal tailor and the Salar Kameez look!

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2010 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Mary, my mother did mention to me once that there is a type of make-up to cover the purple on your legs. I have never spoke to anyone who ever used it, so I don't know if this is a possibility.
Funny enough, I find the support hose(prescription) a relief at certain points in my cycle and especially during pregnancy. I have more energy. But they do feel like an icebox in the winter and suffocating in the summer. Ya' just can't win.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 19 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I know that this topic was earlier in the thread, but I thought I'd post the quote I came across from St. Francis de Sales today that speaks towards propriety of dress:

Quote:
External seemliness is a sort of indication of inward good order, and God requires those who minister at His Altar, or minister in holy things, to be attentive in respect of personal cleanliness. As to the quality and fashion of clothes, modesty in these points must depend upon various circumstances, age, season, condition, the society we move in, and the special occasion. Most people dress better on a high festival than at other times; in Lent, or other penitential seasons, they lay aside all gay apparel; at a wedding they wear wedding garments, at a funeral, mourning garb; and at a king's court the dress which would be unsuitable at home is suitable.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

StefA
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 26 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote StefA

I am late to this conversation but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I have, over the last year and a half or so, slowly transitioned to being skirts only. I have had problems with healthy identifications with women before, as well as feeling feminine, so the skirts have really helped in this area. Like others have said, it also helps me with obedience towards my husband (remembering who wears the pants, so to speak.) I would like my girls to be skirts only, or mostly skirts only, especially considering the horrid fashions that are out there nowadays for girls, but I have a feeling most of my shopping will be online then.
Back to Top View StefA's Profile Search for other posts by StefA

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2010 at 4:27am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

I have been intrigued by this Thread and thanks for raising it.
I have recently changed from trousers to long skirts after reading Dressing with Dignity. I loved this book and made my conviction to wear skirts as much as possible. ( by recently I would say 2 years ago).
I would say I would only wear knee length trousers when i am gardening or manual outside work.
I wear skirts everywhere.
My DD made a comment a few years ago. 'I never see you in skirts Mum'.
I was perflexed by this statement, as I have always owned and warn skirts previous to this. So that was another reason, I chose to wear Skirts.
I have owned a few dresses, but do not find them as versatile as the skirt and top.
I too like my youngest DD and my grown up ones, to look to my dressing with modesty as an example to them.
My yougest dd, always wears such beautiful skirts and tops, she has a way of looking very lovely in her flowing skirts- she's 12.
I suppose I look now to some of the clothing warn at Mass and cringe. But some of that cringing, is at my former self- although I always was presentable. It was often in trousers.

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2010 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

Just wanted to report that I have made the change! I was slowly doing it with the couple of ill fitting skirts that I had, but now I am all set. Christopher and Banks had a 50% sale and I bought a bunch of short sleeved t-shirts. I went out and bought fabric to match and have been making *very* basic skirts to wear. It is going great! I can make a skirt in an afternoon's time (not anywhere near uninterrupted ). My oldest couldn't be happier, and I am too. I am so much more comfortable. Now, the challenge will be doing this in the fall and winter. It is easy now with a cotton skirt, t-shirt and my Birkenstock's. I need a game plan for when the weather gets cool/cold.

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

StefA
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 01 2010 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote StefA

mathmama wrote:
Just wanted to report that I have made the change! I was slowly doing it with the couple of ill fitting skirts that I had, but now I am all set. Christopher and Banks had a 50% sale and I bought a bunch of short sleeved t-shirts. I went out and bought fabric to match and have been making *very* basic skirts to wear. It is going great! I can make a skirt in an afternoon's time (not anywhere near uninterrupted ). My oldest couldn't be happier, and I am too. I am so much more comfortable. Now, the challenge will be doing this in the fall and winter. It is easy now with a cotton skirt, t-shirt and my Birkenstock's. I need a game plan for when the weather gets cool/cold.

Long underwear was a savior for me in the colder weather. I agree that I am so much more comfortable in skirts! :)

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 01 2010 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

yes, think in layers for winter.. long underwear, slips.. not the thin nylon ones.. but like a knit or flannel skirt, and heavier fabric for the skirts like denim or corduroy.. denim will feel cold alone but add a layer of something underneath and it's rather warm. One of my favorite outfits when it's real cold out is the silk long underwear, knee high wool socks (smartwool, not scratchy), and flannel lined denim skirt.. for tops those short sleeve tees with some long sleeve button ups worn as jackets or cardigans.. or with a turtleneck underneath one etc.

-Sir Walter Scott

Trinity
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 02 2010 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote Trinity

I started wearing skirts almost full time about a year ago. They really are nice in the winter because you can put more layers on. : ) If it is really cold or I have to be outside for a bit I put on sweater tights and/or long johns and a flannel petticoat. They have some lovely ones at The King's Daughters.
Back to Top View Trinity's Profile Search for other posts by Trinity

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2010 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

So, if I wanted to make some flannel petticoats for colder days, is it just a matter of making a skirt out of flannel that is a little shorter?

This past winter I bought some cuddleduds to wear under my skirt for church. I also bought some boots (like Uggs but knock offs) and it was so nice to not be freezing all day on Sunday. I guess this warm weather had caused me to forget about that

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 02 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

mathmama wrote:
So, if I wanted to make some flannel petticoats for colder days, is it just a matter of making a skirt out of flannel that is a little shorter?

Yes you can certainly do that.. but if it's a gathered at the waist skirt.. you can get rather "thick" in the middle with the extra material. Better if you could do something like a gored skirt with a solid waist and zipper.. or a yoke of a much thinner material than flannel.

-Sir Walter Scott

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version