Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: homemade bread question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2010 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

stefoodie wrote:
juststartn wrote:
The book DH uses (and you need a book, sorry! His email on it was like 2 pages long, and that was "AFTER" you had started the starter, had it going, and it was growing for DAYS...).

The Bread Builders. That's the name of the book.

Like I said, he really really really wants to build a wood-fired brick oven outside (to go with the patio/pergola/grill/outdoor living area I am praying to have someday, lol).

Anyway, that's my suggestion. I simply HATE to add another book to your plate, lol. But this one really is needed. It is one of those things that once you do it, it will be easier each time, but you need a book to reference...if that makes *any* sense.

oh, LOL. no wonder that sounded familiar. i HAD that book. it was the most awesome book ever, and i still dream of flying daniel wing and alan scott here to our home to help us build a brick oven! i don't have $$$ to do that but we do have a friend who is also a big brick oven fan and he's been wanting to make one for years in his yard! i'm sure when it happens for them we're next... but it may be a while since he and dh work together and they are always B.U.S.Y. one day....

have you guys heard of forno bravo? seriously drooling here.

Oh yes. We've heard of it. Stop me now...lol

You can use your own indoor oven, though, to simulate the brick oven. Of course, without the flames. LOL

Just get firebricks and use those, line the shelf with them. DH just bought some, and we'll be using them when we make bread next.

DH thinks he should have been a baker. Or a miller. Or some other such "old-fashioned" vocation. Instead, he went into the infantry, and is now hacking out and existence in the wilds of Oklahoma...lol.

We'll be building ours ourselves. DH has figured it out to about $1500, if we do the work ourselves (and with friends)...we'll be salvaging/scrounging as many materials as we can, and will be building the patio and surrounding areas, pergolas, etc, piecemeal as circumstances permit.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 04 2010 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Molly Smith wrote:
Actually, I do already make some homemade bread--not sandwich bread, as I can never slice it thin enough.

A friend just gave me a tip on slicing that I never would have thought of myself but now it seems so obvious, and worked great! She uses an electric knife, like you use for carving a turkey! I can make slices even thinner than grocery store bread, and nice and even too! Just be sure the bread is pretty cool so it doesn't mash down when you're slicing, but it works much better than my regular manual bread knife.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version