Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Support , advice for a natural childbirth Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Kathryn,

Do get a birthing ball. It really helped me with my second dd. You can squat/sit on that ball and really get that baby's head down and working on the perineal area without the pain of an actual squat...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2006 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote momwise

teachingmom wrote:
Rachel May wrote:
I could never do this, but it did give me a smile during labor:

Halts Chores for an Hour, Gives Birth to Child Unaided

A smile?! I am laughing hysterically here! Thanks Rachel.

Oh my goodness    Apparantly the key to a happy, relaxed natural birth is a fairly generous amount of liquor! Kathryn, if they won't let you BYOB to the labor room, I also heartily recommend the birthing ball. Like Michelle, I used it during labor with my largest (9 1/2lbs.) and when the labor stalled at the beginning of transition it was amazing how the ball helped. The more you roll your pelvis, the more you can get the labor to progress.

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2006 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

What is a birthing ball? Those big exercise-like ones? It sounds very interesting.

I just re-read every word of this thread to help keep me motivated! Wonderful, wonderful information and encouragement!

I've read the Bradley book and Birthing From Within (Angie's rec.) and will start the Sears one tonight. The previous two were great - although, Angie, it took me a little while to just roll with the Birthing from Within one....my kids kept looking over my shoulder at all the birth art and asking lots of questions!    But, truly, there is so much good and helpful information in there.

Thanks for the recommendation for John Michael Talbot's music as well, Angie. I've actually seen him in concert twice (once he was at our Mission for the start of a Mission concert/tour thing). I wholeheartedly agree about the relaxing tone of his music and I think I will dig out a few of his tapes/CDs. I know he has a new one out...is that the one you like? I was definitely considering bringing music this time around (having never done so before), but was thinking more along the lines of something edgier like my Matt Maher stuff (Catholic, praise and worship). I think I'm really liking your recommendation, instead!!

A month to go....feeling a little nervous....but still very encouraged by all of your thoughtful words.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2006 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

The birthing ball I used was like an excercise ball. I sat on it all day and played cards with Bill while we waited for the pit to work. It was really comfy and a fun experience, but the next day, my inner thighs, OUCH! I think 8 hours might have been excessive.

After re-reading that unassisted birth article, I'm thinking of asking if I can have a drink before heading off to the hospital, but Bill has this idea that even that would produce a child with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.   

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2006 at 3:35am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

I have a bottle of champagne dh gave me for my birthday - which was just when I began to suspect I might be pregnant, so the bottle is still sitting there. Can't think of anything better to relax me. I'm getting ideas ... .

Thanks for the positive responses about the birthing ball. I'm definitely going to get one!

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 13 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mari

Hi Kathryn,

I hope you do get to use the birthing pool. I had that opportunity for my first child - that was 6 years ago! However I did not actually give birth in water as I was going to sleep and my contractions were fading out after 7 hours. Whislt in the water it was wonderful but on coming out it was a desperately horrible feeling and painful! I wish I had had a birthing ball there to take over but instead I tried a birthing stool -which just didn't work for me. In the end we pushed baby on her way down on my tummy, then had an episiotomy and the doctor used his hand to help pull a tiny little head out (my request as I could not bear the thought of forceps or anything else around the baby's head!)

For my 2nd birth we did this at home - I used the bath tub - not the same as the wonderfully deep pool but still helpful (coming out as before at the end because again I was falling asleep and it is not as practical as a birthing pool.) But this time I was ready for the shock of leaving the soothing water and I just pushed the baby out in a semi upright position on my bed.

I hope all goes well - keep your ball there just in case, even if you get to use the bath!

P.S. I understand that in any case sitting on a ball is very good for your back/posture in general...

Blessings

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version