Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Support , advice for a natural childbirth Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I've delivered my babies every which way, including one crash C-section (very funny story) and another pitocin/no epidural. My last pregnancy was tiresome and I never geared up for a natural delivery. I had it in my head that I would get an epidural, and even though I was 7 centimeters when I got to the hospital, I went ahead and got one - a big regret because it hurt.

So, anyway, I am totally geared up to go natural, God-willing, especially if I have good labor at home. I thought I would ask you all what I could read (easily gotten from the library or online) to get ready....mostly mentally ready. Or, just encouragement and advice in general.

Thanks!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

Hi Erica,

I liked using Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way

How is your dh at coaching? or even at voicing your wants and needs in the hospital? I think having a birth plan is helpful..for you and dh mentally as well as making your wants known to staff. How is the hospital you are delivering at ? do they have many natural chldbirths? what does your dr think of natural childbirth? Have you considered having extra labor support, like a doula or birth assistant? My birth assistants I had for my home births were invaluable. (My dh isn't much of a coach )

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

When I arrived to deliver Cecilia--the last one, I was fully wanting an epi, but through the staff stalling, I ended up nearly delivering her in the hall. Even as I climbed on the bed, I was reaching to the anesthesiologist saying, "Can't you give me a shot or something? It hurts!" It was my best delivery/recovery ever and I want to do it again, but I'm a BIG chicken.      

What really helped me be able to deal with the whole situation not going how I planned it was having had a chance to read some books that my neighbor (she had home births) borrowed from her midwife for me. I found a lot of the information in those books really liberating, like the fact that you don't have to wear a fetal monitor if the baby is not in distress and you don't want to, or information on why it's not best to have your water broken, and especially the pictures of different labor positions.

When a doctor showed up to deliver, I heard him say, "She's going to deliver like that?" Darn straight! Without meds I was able to really assert myself and I had the knowledge to know that what I wanted was ok.   I wish I knew titles, but I can't remember them.    I hope that helps a little.

I couldn't get Esperanza's link to work, so here's one Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Hi Erica, Yes, it definitely hurts quite a bit    but I have tried to remind myself that it is pain with a purpose and have offered up each delivery at the onset. I have had the last three of my children at home with a midwife, natural deliveries in each circumstance. When I decided to birth naturally, I borrowed the aforementioned Bradley book from the library but kept putting off reading it. By the time I decided to read it, I was in heavy labor with my first homebirth and glanced at one page. That page read..."breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth through each contraction". A contraction came and I shut the book, never to open it again!

It was the only advice that I had time for and it was the best advice. I have made it through natural labor three times by using that as my focus. It is not easy to do for several hours but I have found that by focusing myself on that constant pattern of breathing, I have been able to do it. I get into a sort of rhythm and time passes without my knowledge. When the time comes to push, I just allow my body to do it by itself, without the whole "cheerleader squad" approach of people yelling "push!" I ask everyone to be quiet and just let my body do it naturally because it can do it without our help. It helps to be in a semi-upright position and let gravity work its magic.

The only other recommendation I have is for a yummy "labor tonic" that I like to drink:

Two quarts of water
juice of eight lemons
1/2 cup honey

Spin it in a blender and it sure is good! It has kept me hydrated and energized throughout the past three births.

You can do it...best wishes!

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I had 3 natural deliveries. I think it does help to have a good coach. I'm kind of quiet in labor and I remember with the first one I was thinking negative thoughts like "I can't do this" "it hurts", but I didn't say them aloud. My dh just kept on going with the positive "You're doing great" He knew it was important to me to deliver naturally and wouldn't even suggest I should give up. I also had the same midwife with each baby, which was unusual since there were 4 in the practice. Anyway, she was extremely patient and would sit there quietly until it was time to push.

With the second one my water broke and it went really fast. I was feeling really scared every time a contraction came. I asked for an epidural, but I didn't get one because it was time to push.

With the 3rd, I expected it to go fast like the 2nd, so I was extremely relaxed. My Mom and dh were there and I would tell them when a contraction would come and they would be very quiet. My dh would rub my arms how I like it, then when it passed they would talk again. For some reason I needed quiet to remember to breathe and to not get annoyed with them.

I really want to go naturally with this next one. I have a low lying placenta that is out of the way, but I guess there is still a chance I may need a c-section. I'm telling myself I should be grateful for a healthy baby delivered any way, especially after a miscarriage a year ago, but delivering naturally has felt like such a good experience to me. I want it to happen again!!
Don't be scared. You can do it Erica!!   

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I could never do this, but it did give me a smile during labor:

Halts Chores for an Hour, Gives Birth to Child Unaided

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Erica,
If it is on your heart to try it natural, spend time in prayer and have confidence in the body that God gave you. If things go differently than you plan, then know that it is God's will.

I delivered my first two with epidurals. My first labor was an unrelenting back labor. He was my littlest one by a pound, but he sure was the trailblazer! Even after 3 non-epidural births, I cannot imagine not having the epidural with that one. I wonder if I had gotten it sooner, if I would have gotten needed rest for better pushing. For the second child, the epidural was administered so close to delivery, I don't even think it took effect.

The last three did not need an epidural (even though I had pitocin with the last three boys). With our youngest, I tried something different. I took castor oil on my due date and she came out four hours after contractions began, no pitocin, no epidural.. nothing but a few good contractions and pushes. (I don't think I was ever so thankful!).

I delivered the first two laying down in bed and the last three sitting up on a birthing chair. The gravity really seemed to help speed things along. Helpful, encouraging midwives seemed to be essential for better labors, too (unlike the first two doctors who walked in when it seemed to be "convenient" at the grand finale!)

LIke you, I have had a few different sorts of labor. Even after all of these different sorts of labor, the idea of going through childbirth is so unnerving, isn't it? We need to remind ourselves to trust that if a c-section or an epidural is necessary, well, then that is what is necessary, but if a natural delivery happens, then wonderful.

I will pray for you for a wonderful pregnancy and delivery.

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I delivered my first 2 w/an epidural & my last 3 w/o. I was always able to wait until I was at about a 7 or 8 before I ask for the epidural. Then it hurt! The 3rd birth, I had a great nurse. She knew I wanted to go naturally & didn't keep telling me how "if I wanted an epidural I needed to ask soon so they could page the dr...etc" When I got to that point of wanting one, she reassured me that I was doing great & she thought maybe I had 30 minutes to go. That really helped! To know this was not going to last forever. She was such a great support that I requested her for birth 4 & 5

For birth 3 (the first natural) I took a rosary cd & walkman & rosary to try to relax & stay focused. I also tried to think of Our Lord on the Cross. With the hard contractions that were tough to breath through, I would say "Jesus, Mary, I love You, save souls" & think of Our Lord trying to take a breath while hanging on the cross.

With birth 4 (2nd natural) I expected the same slowly builing labor...Wrong! I offered my labor & delivery up for the soul in purgatory farthest from Heaven. I think that may have had something to do with it    I was at a 7 & asked for an epidural. My favorite nurse called the dr & before he could get there I delivered...It took 3 minutes to go from a 7 to delivering the placenta!! All the gradual, slowly building pain hit hard & fast!

Birth 5 (3rd natural) I was afraid to offer it up for anything after last time    I offered it for the salvation of myself, my dh & our children's souls. A woman from church donates her services as a doula. I was hesitant about a doula b/c this was my 5th delivery, but she was wonderful! My favorite nurse delivered #4 & #5!

My dh knows how much better I feel right after delivery w/o an epidural so he reminds me of that. I also have a great nurse who also knows I feel so much better w/o the epidural. I do get a dose of staydol (sp?) just when things get a little tough. I does not lessen the contractions, but helps me relax through them. It makes me goofy in the head but only lasts a short time.

Sorry this got so long, but this is really dear to me. I can honestly say I enjoyed my last 3 births more w/o the epidural, even though they did hurt more.

Jenny

edited to add: all of my labors have been induced w/pitocin.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

My past 6 births have all been at home, my first was in the hospital. (I was very young, and it was a horrible experience!) I truely believe our bodies were created by a Genius, and I put my full trust in Him! I totally second the 'offer it up' advise so many have already given.

My labor with my 7th child was 44 long, exhausting, intense hours. Water helped me relax, but overall, what helped the most was prayer. I've studied all the 'methods' and such, and it's never clicked for me. I just do what my body tells me to do and pray to get through. After that very intense labor, while I was holding my slippery newborn son (my 5th son! ) I said, "I'd do it all over again tomorrow for another beautiful soul like this one!" And, here I am a little over a year later, getting ready to do it again!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Pray, read lots of books on the subject, and most of all, have a very supportive ob or midwife.

I've had 5 drug free births, one at home. It can be very difficult to stick to your original desire to deliver without drugs when your doctors/nurses etc keep coming in and offering you medication. I will never forget one who told me, "Don't be a martyr, honey!"   

If your insurance will allow it, consider having a CNM instead of an OB. I've done this with my 4 hospital births and it makes a huge difference. If you think your hospital or ob won't be completely supportive, you might want to consider hiring a doula or having a girlfriend who has "been there" to encourage you. I'm all for husband coached childbirth, but there is something about L and D that only women truly understand. It helps to have women with you.

~Books
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

From a mental point of view, I like to know that I have many options to deal with pain and a long duration. Birthing From Within has great information on dealing with pain, the BEST I have seen. I'm a practical gal, so I skipped past anything that seemed too touchy-feely for me. You could even skip right to the section on pain relief. The author does a great job of discussing all options, especially having a natural birth in a non-home setting.

The Birth Book is a bit dated but still holds up well. It also gives a broad spectrum of options.

Erica, I'm so excited for you! Let us know what you find and if you need to discuss or find more information, we're glad to help!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Erica,
I have had all mine naturally, the only one I had medication for was baby number six as I already knew she was dead. That was terrible, despite dh getting them to only give me half the normal dose I became so out of it.

Reading is a good way to prepare, read books on natural births, I remember reading books by Shelia Kitzinger and Janet Balaska with my first. I don't know what is around now. With our first we went to a class on childbirth that was good regards breathing, which I always forget how to do but dh remembers and coaches me.

My mum gave me a great tip, a visualising idea. Imagine you are surfing in the ocean. You go out with the wave, that's the build up, you crest with the wave, that HURTS, then you come down the other side. So I always imagine if I can only get to the crest then I can coast down that wave. Till the next one.

I do a lot of moving in my births, when the pain comes I hang on to dh alot and swivel my hips with the pain. The children were talking the other day about births and were mimicking me, moving their hips and making moaning sounds That's what mum does they said to one another, that's how you have a baby.

Are you definetly having a homebirth? I have had two and loved them. Would have them again if it was possible.When I fell pregnant again the first question ds10 asked was, "Can we have a homebirth this time?" Alas no

It's all about finding your rythmn, doing what comes naturally to you. Good luck. Not long now.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

THANK YOU all for the wonderful encouragement and advice!! It is just what I needed! I'm both laughing and crying at the same time....for reasons I don't even know...must be the hormones and/or anticipation.

Rachel - I'm imagining you and your 'darn straight' comment to the doctor and just
And, I could probably get through anything with a few 'whiskey highballs' in me....I can't imagine what my doctor would think if I showed up at the hospital in that state    BUT, seriously, has anyone used a glass of wine or something to relax them....it is sounding very tempting!!

Rebecca - Your tonic sounds wonderful!

Angie and Tammy - Thanks for the book recommendations. I'm going to see if my library has them tomorrow and get reading! Reading some magazine articles is what helped me deliver baby #3 without an epidural (despite the pitocin). That, and having had the previous one C-section. The quick recovery of a natural birth is what is motivating me again now.

Erin - I'm not actually having a homebirth and never have (although I just read with admiration the homebirth thread). It does sound sooooo great, but dh would never go for it.

Cash (dh) is really supportive of a natural delivery, though!! And he is/will be a great coach! With baby #4, I was induced with pitocin and after hours and hours of it and not much progression, I gave up and got an epidural.......Cash was more disappointed than I was and ended up sitting/dozing off in a chair in the corner until it was time for me to push. I didn't expect him to care about it either way. He knows what I want to try to do this time, so I know he'll be great. He can be very funny, along with my doctor, and, fortunately, in my weakest moments, their comedy doesn't irritate me, but makes me laugh along with them.

The hospital is seriously about 3 minutes away and if I have good labor, I'll try to stay home as long as possible. I have a GREAT doctor and he'll be supportive of a natural delivery, but I'll only see him the last 5 minutes or so. One of my best friends is a labor and delivery nurse at my hospital, but she thinks I'm a bit crazy to try to go without an epidural, so I'll get her to recommend the best nurse to help me. I've had wonderful nurses before.

I love reading all your birth stories...so exciting any way they happen!!! I really want to offer up my pain and will re-read the beautiful posts here about prayer and suffering again and again as I get nearer my due date. Thanks, Jenny, for sharing the details of your prayer during labor and delivery - inspiring!

Thank you again for all your posts. They/you are truly encouraging!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Erica,

April is not far off now, I bet you are crazy excited!! (I know I am, and I have 'till JUNE! )

I have done the wine thing in labor. My midwife's family owns a local restaurant, and while I was laboring w/Henry. (the insanely looooongggg hard labor) she left for a few to close down, she brought us back a lovely bottle of red wine and the four of us shared it. It did help me relax a bit, which I really needed at that point. I wasn't knock down drunk, but feeling a little floaty was nice!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Just thought of this, since it's been awhile since I was in the group that did this: Contact someone in your support group or mom's prayer chain, etc. and arrange to call when you start labor. Just call one person and let her call all the other or do a phone chain type of thing. Have all the moms praying for you during your labor. It will make all the difference. In fact, post here and we'll pray!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Hey Erica, I've been wanting to mention this to you for some time. During my last birth, I listened to John Michael Talbot's City of God and Table of Plenty. I purchased them a few weeks before I went into labor not knowing why. I hope this won't be misunderstood, but I never considered his music my type of music. Anyway, I purchased the CD's and listened to them when I returned home. My reaction was neutral.

My labor was long. I played both of his CDs and...amazing...the words soaked into me. I've thought about it since and think it has a lot to do with how slowly the words are sung. Talbot's voice is very soothing. I know the songs well. The words are simple and resonated with me...be not afraid...table of plenty...here I am Lord...

I listen to these CDs now and they bring me back to that amazing day when John Paul was born. I even gave his Godparents the CDs as gifts .

I'm thinking about you!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Erica,

My last delivery was 8 years ago (wow), but I made it through most of it with an occasional whiff of pure oxygen. They did give me one zap of something (???) via my IV (which I did NOT want to have put in) but that was it. Things went too fast for anything else. It was a challenge when it came time to push and I was tired, but I just told myself that I HAD to push my baby out or I'd never see her. Three pushes later she was there.

It might help to talk with the hospital and see what alternatives they offer besides epidurals. Do they have birthing chairs, etc.? Do all delivery rooms have them? If not, how do you get a room that has what you want?

I think it really helps you manage the pain when you know what you want to do during the labor and delivery process. Even if something goes a different way at the end (like my son, double footling breech, 8 doctors and a general anesthesia), we had prepared and I got all the way to 10 cm with no drugs at all. (I was in the car.) I could have done it all alone had he been head first. Oh, well.

You've received great advice from everyone here. You'll do just great! Gwen's right, too...post before leaving for the hospital, or when your labor starts and you know you'll be leaving soon...you'll have lots of prayer help.

I'm so excited for you!!!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 02 2006 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Rachel May wrote:
I could never do this, but it did give me a smile during labor:

Halts Chores for an Hour, Gives Birth to Child Unaided

A smile?! I am laughing hysterically here! Thanks Rachel.

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2006 at 4:00am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Eeekkkk!!! Me too!

I'm planning on a natural delivery this time. I've had one labour with an epidural and one without, and in my admittedly limited experience without won hands down. Epidurals were in the news here last week as the Royal College of Midwives suggested women should have to pay for any medically unnecessary epidural. They want to try to bring the epidural rate down (it is about 20% here) and reduce the number of birth interventions that result from epidurals.

The hospital I go to has a birthing pool which I found excellent for mid-labour, but unfortunately there is only one so it is a bit potluck whether I'll get the chance to use it again. I'm thinking of getting a birthing ball this time. Does anyone have any experience of one?

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Kathryn UK wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a birthing ball this time. Does anyone have any experience of one?

Kathryn,

I used a birthing ball when I was laboring with Matthew. I highly recommend it. I found it to be very comfortable and helpful. His was my best birth experience even though he was also my biggest baby. It was also my fatest birth and while I don't know if the birthing ball contributed to the speed of things it certainly made it more comfortable.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version