Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Front Loading? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Sarah wrote:
Okay, with the stackable, can kids get stuff out of the dryer? My oldest is 9 and he's always looking for clothes .

My nine year old cannot reach into it, but the others can. I guess a chair would help, but I don't think I want him climbing in the laundry room (he is a bit of a wild-man, and likes to bounce ).

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

On second thought, Could they be a tipping hazard if they climbed in?

(What's with my "climbing in" theme?)

I had heard that the washing machine can lock and never open once the cycle begins, that's why I asked about a toddler getting trapped. THEN, we thought. . .she'd NEVER climb in there--she doesn't do it now to the dryer. As we walked through Home Depot looking at the models. . . what did dd2 do?---She ran up and climbed in the front loading washer

My kids are really daredevil hyper monkeys. If they can get locked in something, they will. It must be genetic. My husband has a Prussian General as an ancestor. (They are good kids though).

Part of my disfunctional laundry system is "go find it in the dryer". Maybe stackable wouldn't work for us.

Although, I agree with Angie, the extra room seems nice.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Stackable won't work in my laundry room. Sarah, I wonder if they could climb in if you went ahead and bought the drawer units. Were the ones in the store on the drawers? That might make them just high enough so that kids who don't know better can't get in but low enough so that kids who do know better can retrieve their own clothes from the dryer.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

The ones weren't on drawers and dh thought that would solve it. Also, the drum moved when she tried to get in so she got right out.

Dh's thought that in order for her to truly get trapped someone would have to shut the door and turn it on and that would be so mean. My kids might be hyper, but they don't appear mean. . .

So, I am leaning toward the drawers.

Thanks all.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Sarah wrote:
On second thought, Could they be a tipping hazard if they climbed in?

(What's with my "climbing in" theme?)

I had heard that the washing machine can lock and never open once the cycle begins, that's why I asked about a toddler getting trapped. Although, I agree with Angie, the extra room seems nice.

No tipping hazard here. They are locked together and incredibly heavy. I can and often do stop the cycle to throw something extra in...no problem there.

If I had a decent sized laundry room, I wouldn't stack them. Mine is only the length of a washer and dryer with a walkway in front of them connecting our garage and home. I literally doubled my room capacity by stacking.

Ha! I'm being called to my dryer by the end of cycle chime. Sometimes I feel like Pavlov's dog! Has anyone else had the thought that in heaven there will be no end of cycle chimes, LOL?

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2006 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I have the Whirlpool Duet front loader. I love it. We went with WP b/c we had WP washer (top loading) before and it lasted 15 years and actually was still working when we traded it, but needed a minor repair. It had not broken down once. We also have had 2 WP dishwashers (2 different houses) that lasted 14 and 19 years. We were talked into a Maytag dishwasher a few yrs ago and it broke down 3 times in the first year.

Anyway, I washed cloth diapers in mine for about a year, until we were done with diapers. I always had a liner in the diaper pail (washable PUL liner) and just pulled the whole thing out of the pail, stuffed it into the washer and then shook it empty inside and washed it along with the dipes. Not really much harder than a top loader.

As far as the kids climbing in, mine never have (and dd would probably still fit even now at 4 yo she's so tiny). But I don't see how they could close it on themselves. Mine requires a slam to close it; I couldn't do it from inside. Plus, if the machine is running it can't be opened unless you push pause, then the kid would have to get inside, pull it shut and somehow hit the button again to restart. Unless you think one kid would lock the other in it and run the buttons! That's the only possible way I can see it being a problem.

I use regular liquid detergent (purex free and clear), just lower amounts. We use liq b/c of a septic tank. The machine uses much less water per load than a top loading.

We have the same machine at my office (veterinary) and run way more laundry than I do, and it's held up great. I don't have the Duet dryer b/c our old Whirlpool basic one is still going strong. I'm not entirely convinced the matching dryer is really all that much greater than a regular one, which is much cheaper. It'd be nice to match, but otherwise...

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2006 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Karen T wrote:
Plus, if the machine is running it can't be opened unless you push pause, then the kid would have to get inside, pull it shut and somehow hit the button again to restart.

Okay, I think I missed something. You can stop a front-loading washer mid-cycle and add laundry??

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2006 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I just found this link on Choosing a Washing Machine at Consumer Search. This site does a review round-up of sorts using Consumer Reports and various other sites. The report is from THIS MONTH.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2006 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Karen T wrote:
   I don't have the Duet dryer b/c our old Whirlpool basic one is still going strong. I'm not entirely convinced the matching dryer is really all that much greater than a regular one, which is much cheaper. It'd be nice to match, but otherwise...

Karen T

The same appliance salesperson who talked me into the Duet Washers talked me out of the Duet dryer. Said it was throwing money away unless it was worth hundreds more to match.

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2006 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Jen L. wrote:

Okay, I think I missed something. You can stop a front-loading washer mid-cycle and add laundry??

Not really mid cycle. But probably in the first 10 minutes or so. You might get a few drips of water on the floor but that's it. It really does use way less water than the top loaders.

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Karen T wrote:
   We use liq b/c of a septic tank.
Karen T

The house we are looking into moving into this spring has a septic tank. Are you required to use liquid, or is that just a recommendation (why?). . .I don't mean to get to far off the topic here, but I am interested in front loading machines and septics tanks. Any info to pass on.

I don't know ANYTHING about septics tanks yet. . .

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version