Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Eastern Rite Catholicism Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 09 2005 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Hi Kelly!!!
Thanks for the info...I never thought of Ebay as a good place for icons...I'll go take a look...
You are right about rabbit trails...I've been on one for a while and I've been dragging the kids along. My dd, Mary Grace, 7, was thrilled to recieve an icon of the Theotokos called "Great Grace" for her First Holy Communion.   

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2005 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

jdostalik wrote:
My dd, Mary Grace, 7, was thrilled to recieve an icon of the Theotokos called "Great Grace" for her First Holy Communion.   

Congratulations to Mary Grace

What a lovely gift she received! Such joy to see your little one receive Our Lord.

Have you ever seen an infant receive Eucharist in the Eastern Church? It is part of what drew me in. To see this newborn babe, newly baptised, have Holy Communion in the form of wine placed on their lips with the Communion spoon. Truly moving.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2005 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

No, I haven't seen an infant receive, Victoria...I can only imagine how touching it is... Tears seem such a natural emotion at seeing your child, no matter the age, receive Jesus for the first time... I do see the benefit to having an infant receive the three sacraments together--this happens in the Eastern Rite, yes? Baptism, Holy Communion and Confirmation (Chrismation) all at once? What age is the infant? I know my Orthodox friend said that for them, it is tradition for infants to have a presentation ceremony where the newborn is presented/introduced to the parish community at 40 days and then baptism, Communion and chrismation around 7 months....I assume this is the same in the Eastern Rite Catholic church?

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 10 2005 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I asked this in a post earlier, but I think it got lost. For those that live in TX, would you know anything about this Church and Father Anselm Walker?

Quote:
For a few years our family attended St. Basil's Byzantine Catholic Center in Houston Texas (this was in the 70s when there was so much upheaval Post-Vatican II). Our pastor was Father Anselm Walker. This was the Melkite Rite. My siblings and I were all confirmed in this rite.

Now I can't find where that parish is anymore...is the one in Irving now? or did it change to the St. John Chrysostom in Houston?

Thanks.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 10 2005 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

jdostalik wrote:
BTW, I just finished my latest Catherine Doherty book (after My Russian Yesterdays that Jenn recommended, I ordered Not Without Parables..a beautiful book with spiritual stories from Russian pilgrims she met as a youth... to her ministry to the poor...to her own imaginative stories of redemption... )...I have to say this woman is a marvel and I am so excited to begin reading ALL her spiritual writings...She has been made Servant of God and I am praying for her intercession for reunification of East and West...

Servant of God, Catherine, Pray for Us!!

I agree about Catherine, and I am so glad you enjoyed My Russian Yesterdays. That book has made a lasting impression on me, and was life-changing in helping me point out my main area of interest/research (customs and traditions of the liturgical year). This opened me to seeing traditions outside of the Western Church.

I have not read many other of her writings. I did (do) enjoy Donkey Bells and Season of Mercy which give meditations and customs for the seasons of Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2005 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

jdostalik wrote:
I do see the benefit to having an infant receive the three sacraments together--this happens in the Eastern Rite, yes? Baptism, Holy Communion and Confirmation (Chrismation) all at once? What age is the infant? I know my Orthodox friend said that for them, it is tradition for infants to have a presentation ceremony where the newborn is presented/introduced to the parish community at 40 days and then baptism, Communion and chrismation around 7 months....I assume this is the same in the Eastern Rite Catholic church?

Yes, infants receive Baptism, Holy Eucharist and Confirmation all at the same time. Think of the Confirmation issues it solves This was the tradition of the Church for a majority of its existence.

My experience about the age of the infant has been whenever the parents wish. The presentation of the infant is called Churching (I believe) and that's also a special blessing for the mother upon her return to Church. If you have a mom feeling great when the baby is two weeks old and already going back to Church, then that blessing is at two weeks. All the Baptisms in the Eastern and Orthodox Churches that I have seen, the babies have been much younger than 7 months.

I was tickled when I saw the order of Sacraments in the Baltimore Catechism and it was indeed Baptism then Confirmation then Holy Eucharist. One can say that in olden times in rural areas when a parish might only see a bishop once a year, this practice was for practical purposes. But even in modern times, it seems the infant Confirmation helps with fallen-away families, etc. I am no Church historian nor theologian, though

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

Rosana
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 10 2005 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Rosana

Jenn,

You had asked about Fr. Anselm Walker how interesting because my parents took a Church History course from him in the early 80's while I was studying for Confirmation. They took the Course at our home parish of St. Thomas More. I'll ask my mother and see if she knows or remembers anything about him.

I do know that he knew someone who learned to speak Aramaic and came and said the Lord's Prayer in the way Jesus would have said it. He was one of the few people in the country if not the world that was able to do that.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 10 2005 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rosana wrote:
Jenn,

You had asked about Fr. Anselm Walker how interesting because my parents took a Church History course from him in the early 80's while I was studying for Confirmation. They took the Course at our home parish of St. Thomas More. I'll ask my mother and see if she knows or remembers anything about him.

Rosana, Are you in Houston? My dad's family belonged to St. Thomas More in Houston.

Thanks for looking into this for me!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 12 2005 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

jenngm67 wrote:
I asked this in a post earlier, but I think it got lost. For those that live in TX, would you know anything about this Church and Father Anselm Walker?

We don't live in Houston, but close by. When you originally posted, I asked some local friends who have been to a Byzantine Church in Houston about it, but they'd never heard of St. Basil's.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, my confirmation certificate was from 1979, and it says St. Basil's Byzantine Catholic Center, Houston, Texas. I've asked my sister to check her certificate, as it was in a newer location and a few years later to see if it was called something else. This is going to bug me until I solve the mystery!

In Ann Ball's book Handbook of Catholic Sacramentals, she has a second introduction called "Sacramentals in the Oriental Rites" by Father Anselm Walker. This book was published in 1991, and under his name it says "St. Basil's Byzantine Catholic Center, Houston, Texas", same as my certificate.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2005 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Hi all,

I have resurrected this thread because of a lovely book I just received from Sonya Romens at RC History. It is called Mary, Mother of God: Her Life in Icons and Scripture. This would make a lovely Christmas gift for anyone who has a love of icons and the Theotokos.

I also ordered Catherine Doherty's book on the season of Advent, Donkey Bells. I have been reading a lot of Doherty's works this year and I just love her Russian spirituality!

Let the Little Ones Come

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2005 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

jdostalik wrote:
I also ordered Catherine Doherty's book on the season of Advent, Donkey Bells. I have been reading a lot of Doherty's works this year and I just love her Russian spirituality!
I have that book. It's beautiful, but it's completely Russian spirituality. It has meditations in part 1 by Catherine, then the customs and traditions are mostly the typical ones we talk about on these boards. Some of them are unique, but most of them are familiar. Then the stories in Part 3 have some Russian flavor.

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2005 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

jdostalik wrote:
Hi all,

I have resurrected this thread because of a lovely book I just received from Sonya Romens at RC History. It is called Mary, Mother of God: Her Life in Icons and Scripture. This would make a lovely Christmas gift for anyone who has a love of icons and the Theotokos.

The book looks gorgeous, Jennifer. Thank you. Christ is Born! Glorify Him!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version