Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Texas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

teachingmyown wrote:
When you all say "hot", what do you mean? Is it hot and dry or hot and humid? I think I could handle hot and dry, and I have had enough of VA's hot and humid. What is the average summer temperature?

Not that we are moving, just curious.

Depends on where you live. In Houston, it's miserably humid hot. Here in Central Texas, it's hot. Some days it's hot and humid; some not so humid. It's not the desert type of dry hot though. Last summer we had more than a full month of 100 degree weather. Spring starts around March and summer temps can hit by May depending on the year. On the flip side, the winters tend to be mild. Average temperature around this time is in the 50s.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Hot and usually humid in Fort Worth. It's not unusual to have strings of 100 degree days. You can expect many, many upper 90 days. Humidity around 80% on average I think. ?

I ditto what everyone else says about Dallas being (in our opinion) much more cosmopolitan and Fort Worth much more laid back.

Also, Texas pride...well, I suppose I have it too. I'm not sure why but I was born and raised here and it does just seem to be how it is.   When my husband wanted to buy land in OK, I about came unglued because "I'M A TEXAN!!!" and I couldn't even comprehend the thought of being "an Oklahoman". (sorry okies) Well, he did buy the land and he hunts it but we still live here in Texas. I suppose some day if he wants to retire up there, that's where we'll be but I will always be a Texas girl.

And yes, I would be one of those chatty gals at the post office too!   

And I did have kind of big hair in the 80s but didn't everyone?!    I mean, Kelly Ripa's from New Jersey...anyone seen her prom photo?!

dakotamidnight
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote dakotamidnight

San Antonio weather varies quite a bit - hot in the summers and warm to cool in the winters. Very humid springs but otherwise fairly dry.

Not too bad - the summers can get warm but it's easy to deal with.
Back to Top View dakotamidnight's Profile Search for other posts by dakotamidnight Visit dakotamidnight's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

My visit to San Antonio was in August 2005. It felt pretty much the same as it feels here in Aug. Hot and humid. What struck me was the mold smell everywhere. Both my dh and I noticed it.

The weather here is extreme. We go from freezing cold winters and huge snowfalls every few years to sweltering summers of heat and humidity but our duration of both isn't as long as other parts of the country. When I was younger I used to say I preferred being cold to hot but as I get older I find I mind the cold more and relish the heat --dh is the same.

I also know that by the end of summer my body has adjusted pretty well and then it gets cool and I am freezing (go figure!) We don't have central air in this house and use only one window unit a/c for the whole downstairs so I get more acclimated to the heat than most of my family that lives with central air all summer (my mom keeps her house so cold you have to wear a sweater in the summer!).

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

Great posts by all! My favorite ones are those that speak so favorably of my alma mater Texas A&M (is that a 'Whoop!' I hear?)

Even though dh and I are originally from there and it is a great state, with much diversity, we plan on retiring elsewhere.

Why?

Well, we really enjoy the change of seasons which I never experienced growing up there. It might sound silly, but I really do enjoy the colorful leaves and cool weather in the fall and the welcome warmth of the sun during the spring after a cold winter. Growing up in Houston, our leaves turned from green to brown and then fell off the trees. Dh grew up in Dallas and doesn't remember the leaves changing there either. Spring is nice in Dallas, but in Houston there is no spring and winter is just less hot (exception is this winter-- Mom says it's been a cold one)

Also, personally and most importantly, I never found a great catholic community. I'm sure more than the 'cafeteria catholic' community(-ies?) exists somewhere, as evidenced by posters on this lovely board, I've just not seen it. Not even when I go back to visit family in various parts of the state. I have friends and cousins still living there that struggle with this as well. So at this point, upon retiring out of the military, we plan on heading to the STL area. For us the area just seems more alive with catholicness (I know, not a real word, but you get the drift). The only drawback so far I've found with that is state income tax. Folks are very nice and down to earth in the midwest, winters are not too bad-- can get some snow and summers are warm, sometimes hot. Oh, and all the small farms with fresh produce, yes love that too.

Gotta run.. remember just my $.02.   

Ducking any tomatoes being thrown my way now.

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

MicheleQ wrote:
When I was younger I used to say I preferred being cold to hot but as I get older I find I mind the cold more and relish the heat --dh is the same.

This used to be me, too! Partly, I think it's my low thyroid thing and partly I guess I'm just getting a little older. Soon I'll be one of those grannies asking for a shawl and blanket in July.

A little Texas heat would be nice now and then! I'm getting sort of tired of our perpetually drizzly, gray, squishy Pacific Northwest winter!

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Our plan is Texas in the winter and summer somewhere else. Nice to dream, isn't it??

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

Michele, we live ( just down the same street from KC) and I have to agree... I really enjoy living here. We live in a military town, but the surrounding areas are very nice, like Salado and Temple and Belton. Central TX is very nice. I come from FL and GA where the humidity is unbearable. The heat here in the summer just sits on your shoulders hot.. just a different hot. Where there is water, there are happy kids. Sprinklers and little pools work here and we go to the pools. There is a beautiful lake here, Lake Belton. Winters get chilly because they usually come with wind. We love our fireplace and use it all the time.
Most of all, we LOVE our parish and our Parish priest and all of the people in TX are so friendly!
Let us know what you find.. feel free to come visit!

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

The humidity in North Texas can be pretty high (avg. range 50%-80%) but it usually isn't that high every day. There have been some days in the spring when we have turned our AC on simply to try and dry the house out, not necessarily because the heat demanded it. Houston is definitely more humid (avg. range 60%-90%) as is Corpus Christi because they are gulf cities.

One thing to remember is that because Texas is such a large state spanning about 800 miles from tip to tail and a little less side to side, there really can be quite a temperature difference based on where you are. In the winter, it can be 20 degrees in the panhandle and 50 degrees in Brownsville. When a blue norther blows in the temperature can drop as quickly as 20 degrees an hour and a day that started out in the 70's can end up in the 30's. Those drastic temperature swings drive my sinuses crazy, but they don't happen too often.

We do get fall color change here in North Texas more than South Texas, but it varies year to year and it isn't going to compare to the New England area. You just have to look for it. Some autumns the change happens over a week or two and some last longer. I know it's more than they see in San Antonio as my mom is always coming up here to collect fall leaves to take home and decorate with.

South Texas is prone to drought more than North Texas but in the summer most city governments institute water restrictions regarding outside watering. Also, my husband says that North Texas is the only place he has ever lived where he felt a weather radio was not optional. The storms we get in the spring can be very violent so everyone stays more alert to the weather changes and patterns so as not to be trapped outside when the yucky stuff happens (hail, tornadoes, flash flooding, etc... It sounds scary, but I've lived in Texas my whole life and have only once been in a tornado.)

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

I do want to go on record and say that *if* we were to move back to TX, I think I'd have to move next door to Charlotte. Love reading her blog and living a TX life vicariously through her. My daughter can't go a feast day without checking for her wonderful coloring pages.

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Martha wrote:
No, no, no.. you need to move to Oklahoma!

Nothing against Texas, but *I* am not in Texas and Oklahoma needs more Catholics!

Don't tell dh I discouraged anyone from moving to Texas. He breathed his first breath of air there and keeps the birth cert hanging on the living room wall just to be sure people understand that he is Texan.

AMEN ON THAT ONE, SISTER!!!   

Seriously? Oklahoma isn't doing too badly in this economy, and there is LOTS of room here for a few more good Catholics (as I was just posting in nissa's thread above, there's lots of land out here, too, if you don't want a city life).

Depending on what you are looking for, you can probably find it here in OK, just as easily as in Texas. Mountains, flat land, lots of trees, no trees....big cities, smaller university towns, teeny tiny rural towns...

I moved here from the east. Lived in GA til we married, moved to Germany for one year, and then spent the next 12 yrs in North Carolina. Never thought in a million years that OKLAHOMA of all places, would be where we would settle. But here we are, almost two years after our move, and my goodness, it is LOVELY. Sunsets...rolling hills, trees...neighbors who occasionally moo, and not much else...ahhhhhhhh....

Sure, the weather gets hot sometimes. It also gets cold sometimes (still have four seasons here!). Gotta like that!

Anyway, any time you need a tour of OK, let Martha and I know.

As far as Catholicism? Right now, I stick closer to Tulsa, to be honest. However, that all being said, OKC is likely to get a new bishop within the next year or two. And with the way the Holy Father is going, the 'new' bishop will be a bit more like the one in Tulsa (oh please Jesus!). There is Clear Creek Monastery (Tulsa diocese), as well, and their workdays where the menfolk can go and help work around the monastery (how cool! Almost makes me wish I were a man so I could go!). There is a good TLM mass or two said up around Bethany, OK, I believe (OKC diocese--not sure wherein the Tulsa diocese it is celebrated, if that's to your taste).

HTH!

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

juststartn wrote:

Depending on what you are looking for, you can probably find it here in OK, just as easily as in Texas.

Rachel

Yes, but it's not TEXAS.    We did say Texans are especially proud of their state.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)

The Cabbage Patch

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Aggie gal wrote:

Well, we really enjoy the change of seasons which I never experienced growing up there. It might sound silly, but I really do enjoy the colorful leaves and cool weather in the fall and the welcome warmth of the sun during the spring after a cold winter. Growing up in Houston, our leaves turned from green to brown and then fell off the trees. Dh grew up in Dallas and doesn't remember the leaves changing there either. Spring is nice in Dallas, but in Houston there is no spring and winter is just less hot (exception is this winter-- Mom says it's been a cold one)

Yes! The lack of an autumn was my single biggest complaint about living in the Houston suburbs. We lived outside Houston for 5 years, moved from there in 2005. Our first autumn back north, when autumn started, I was wondering what was wrong with the trees!

Aggie gal wrote:

, personally and most importantly, I never found a great catholic community.    

We were blessed to be near a thriving Catholic Homeschool community. It was the witness of these holy women and their families that showed that I could homeschool. We were located between 2 parishes that did quite well in terms of orthodoxy.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Even in the southern part of Texas near San Antonio, you can find great fall foliage at Lost Maples. One of these days we'll take a trip down there.

The coast is somewhat close by and you can actually get in the water without freezing. And, when it's 98 degrees, the lukewarm water feels pretty cool.   

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)

The Cabbage Patch

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 06 2010 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Can't believe I missed this thread! I don't have anything helpful to add...I just stumbled across this yesterday and had to chime in!

The wildflowers are beautiful this time of year. We live close to the hill country but far enough away that it is more humid. My parents always say it's cooler in the summer in Miami than it is here because they get the breeze and we don't. Spring pollen is terrible here -- second worst place in the country, but we love our town. We've not been hit hard by the economy.

It is harder to find a great Catholic church here. We go to a wonderful parish but we've lived in Dallas and Houston and struggled to find one. That being said, there *are* great, conservative parishes in Dallas and Houston. They were just far from us and we didn't discover them until right before we moved away from each.

Praying for your decisions, Michele. The northeast really is more beautiful, but I couldn't handle the winters. Every time we travel Tim has to hear me sigh at the lovely country that we pass but don't live in!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 06 2010 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

KC in TX wrote:
Even in the southern part of Texas near San Antonio, you can find great fall foliage at Lost Maples. One of these days we'll take a trip down there.

I've wanted to go there too but never have.

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Lost Maples is worth the trip. We live about 2 hours from it, but it is wonderful!

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 09 2010 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

Just my opinion..........

Jenny - we are living parallel lives. We are currently living in Florida, too. In Jacksonville. Florida is yucky. We hate it. It appears to be in the south if you look at a map, but I can assure you, these people are not southerners. They are rude, crude and sociably unacceptable. The only thing it has to recommend it is we have a wonderful Catholic community. While I love all my new friends, I would leave for home today. We will retire in Texas, and are actively trying to get back, we moved with hubbies job. But, we would move anyplace in the south to get out of here. The blessing of this whole experience would be that hubby now knows he would never accept a job north of the mason/dixon line

Amy is mistaken there is no place like Texas.

Charlotte is 100% right. And the HEB area of DFW is pretty nice, as are many of the other suburbs. Hubbies family in NRH and mine was in Plano.

We lived in Abilene for 5 years and just loved it. It was wonderful.

Texas is like no place else. Choose the climate you most prefer and then you can pick where you'd like to look. Big hair and lots of makeup is much preferrable to the lack of care given to appearance in much of the rest of what I have seen. I honestly thought it was normal.

And, in case your wondering...
I was born in NJ and my father was military.
I have lived in NJ, NY, IA, Mo, Ok, Nb, Al, Ca, and now heaven forbid Fl -
I was 12 when we landed in Texas, and stayed. My dad knew right away that we would never leave.
It wasn't until I moved from Texas as a married woman that I became really "Texan" like the rest of them, preferring Texas, the whole Texas, and nothing but the Texas. So help me God.

My Blog

"Duty before everything, even something holy"
St.Padre Pio
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version