Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: High Protein, Low Carbohydrate Diet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2010 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I do find the Blood Type diet theory interesting, but with several people I know, it's exactly opposite to the way their body responds. So, I guess I just view it as his theory. The Metabolic diet had some similar viewpoints, but not classified by blood type, and I found more in that theory that fit me.

Did you see this recent news story: Genetics Test helps with Weight Loss, saying there is a new genetic test that can help determine if low-carb or low-fat is the way your body needs to lose weight.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

JennGM wrote:
I do find the Blood Type diet theory interesting, but with several people I know, it's exactly opposite to the way their body responds. So, I guess I just view it as his theory. The Metabolic diet had some similar viewpoints, but not classified by blood type, and I found more in that theory that fit me.

That's the way Dr. Mercola went. He offers a metabolic test, but at the same time is an advocate for grain-free living.

I also just came across a book by Dr. Leo Galland, called The Fat Resistance Diet. He's made some changes to Atkins and South Beach, but his suggestions are still within the diets discussed here.

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Wow--coming back to this conversation now...lol...

I did the smart thing a few years ago, and was doing really well (I have PCOS and so I *need* to be on a lower carb diet for the rest of my life, not just to lose weight). And then...well, life intervened. Twins, geographical single parenting...and so I gained all the weight back, plus some. Eating whatever I could to just shut my DH up, because I didn't *want* to eat, but he was insistent, drinking carbonated caffeine because he insists on having in the house, and I need a caffeine boost...yeah yeah, I know...

I've gotten to the point now, where I have to do something about it. So, I'm trying to get myself back on the wagon, one toe at a time, lol. The cokes (my big big big weakness, seriously--I could down a 2 liter a day by myself) are out--the headache is just about gone now (withdrawal on top of my "visitor" is *NO* fun, let me tell you!), and so I'm hoping that with an increase in water drinking, as well, that I'll be seeing some small changes soon.

Wish me luck ladies, cause I definitely need it...I need to lose (oh gosh, do I even want to post this???) a good 35 lbs *minimum*, and 40-45 would be even better (but to be quite honest and fair to myself, I didn't get down that low when I was low-carbing and walking 5 miles a day with only two children, so I don't think I'm ever going to get that low *now*, absent lipo! lol).

Pray for me (and my poor children...lol)...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2010 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Great post!! I posted elsewhere about weight lose, so I'm glad one of the ladies mentioned this post.

I'm way behind the game here but am just starting out again on a quest to lose weight. I'm doing a variation on the Metabolic Jumpstart program which last year I lost 4kg in one month and went down two dress sizes.

I was feeling less tired which I also put down to a good multi vitamin, 6 fish oil tablets a day and lots of water. I was on the accelerator program and exercised on my orb-a-trek once a day for only about 5-10 minutes.
I could eat:
Vegies 5 servings of varying sizes (but most were free foods) so a lot of stir fries; Which I could live on forever anyway.
Fruit 2 serves 300kj/15g
Dairy 2 serves 600kj/15gC 10g P
Protein 1.5 serves 700 kg
Healthy Oils 3 serves 200kj
Starch 4 serves 300-400kj

It gave you a list of free foods that were a great guide and also a list of foods that were classed as extras; so if you went over on the extras you could make it up later. He offer heaps of online encouragement and it wasn't very expensive at all.

Looking at all these great ideas and playing around with MJ program I hope I can lose another two dress sizes in one month again. It's really the middle that I would like to decrease in the hope that I can keep any form of diabetes at bay. If that is God's will...of course.

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2010 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

I'm coming to this conversation a bit late here, so forgive me if you've all moved on with things , but health and nutrition are a bit of a passion with me. I haven't read through the abundant responses here, so it's entirely likely that I'll be beating a dead horse with my words, but regardless, I've got to spew them out or they'll fester inside me until my husband gets home from his weekend trip with friends I'll unleash my worries on him ... (and he's heard this a million times).

I really caution against using or going with a particular "diet", whether or not it has a fancy name and whether or not it, perhaps, has yielded results in the past. The key to keeping yourself at a healthy personal weight (and each one of us has a different healthy-ideal weight) is lifestyle and being able to maintain a healthy way of living. Food choices just don't begin and end within a months time, if you want to maintain a healthy weight for life, you've got to eat that way for life, else when you end the "diet", you will likely gain all your weight back. Or perhaps the emotionally paralyzing effect of dieting will eventually get the better of you and you'll realize your love of the food you've been missing and gradually revert back to your old eating habits once again. Rigidly restricting yourself or banning any one food group, in my ever so humble opinion, is setting yourself up for failure, and it is not healthy (from an eating-for-life perspective).

Losing weight is about eating food. You must eat food in order to keep your metabolism functioning properly, else your body thinks it is starving and begins to shut down in an effort to save you from starvation; your metabolism slows and you begin to burn muscle, rather than fat. Quite literally, to lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume. And the best way to do this is to introduce exercise into your life.

All of our food groups have value and eliminating one of those groups (in my humble opinion) is not healthy. All things in moderation. Eating sprouted grains, rather than overly processed wheat breads that have been striped of nutrients during the processing of the grain, only to have it artificially injected back in. Whole-raw foods such as fresh fruit and vegetables, lots of dark-leafy greens, wholesome raw nuts, and healthy fats such as coconut and coconut oils, avacado, almond butter, flax seeds and flax seed oil, cook with butter and olive oil, avoiding margarine and the like, protein rich dairy such as cottage cheese, and lean healthy meats (not processed deli meats). Avoid artifically modified foods such as anything labeled "low-fat" or "fat-free"; eat foods that have not been processed or modified from it's natural state.

Ridding your body of addictive foods will be liberating. When I began my constitutional Homeopathy (about 3 months ago), I had to end my love affair with coffee. I really thought that this would prove to be my undoing, but astoundedly to my surprise, making the switch from coffee to tea was absolutely liberating! I felt an intense feeling of clarity that I'd not felt in all the years of drinking coffee. I could hardly comprehend the bounds that coffee had a hold of and my complete freeing of this made me understand, even more, how food has a profound effect on the way we feel - physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Food effects our total state of being. There is no magic fix to the extra weight one carries. Eating properly, in moderation, whole foods that have not been processed or modified, taking a walk outside everyday, is a journey to healthy living, for life. And something that you can sustain - there is no beginning, nor an end - it just *is*.

I'll insert here, a quick story of my MIL (yes, quite right, I've been talking too much here, but this is worth mentioning), who has battled her weight her entire life. She is over weight. Not by 5 pounds, but likely 10 times that, or more. She has 6 sisters, some have now passed on, but all were, and still are, obese. So my MIL knows that there is a predisposition to being heavy. She recently retired and began to take a walk outside everyday, around her neighborhood. Walking briskly, she began by walking for a half hour everyday and worked her way up to walking for one hour. All the while she stopped eating processed foods and began eating whole-foods and cooking with natural oils. At each time we would have a visit (every 4 weeks or so, we'd see them) I would marvel at her weight loss! She told me that she was eating well, all food groups in moderation, maintained moderate portions with meals and still induldged in the occassional dessert, perhaps once a week at most. Now that is something she can maintain for life, without feeling as though she is missing something.

Eating whole foods (no processed foods), eating in moderation, and getting exercise (whatever you have time for - and many things count as exercise, such as vacuuming ) . Just my humble 2 cents, or perhaps this counts as a whole dollar due to my inability to stop talking.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thank you, Chris. I'm in agreement with you. It really is about a "lifestyle" change, all things in moderation. A temporary change is going to have temporary results, but perhaps longlasting negative effects.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2010 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Yes Chris I agree too! I have always been a lover of good wholesome cooking and organics when I could or can afford them.
One reason I do like the "program" I mentioned above is that it covers a variety of great foods, and as you get toward your target weight, for lack of a better phrase, you can then loosen the restrictions, he really helps to guide you to a better way of thinking about food .

I was on the accelerator program of this diet, regime, life change...I didn't have to be, but I wanted results quick. I needed outside encouragement and support and this diet provided that and more, he offered all that and healthy recipes too. He would send out emails that help to teach you new ways of thinking about exercise and food, there was a great forum where you could ask any questions, which he responeded to quickly.
And the biggest plus is that this man is a Catholic family man who is very sincere about helping people get back on track to a healthy lifestyle.

I think for me, the reason the weight increased over the years was many pregnancies close together (12), a lack of outside exercise, eating quick comfort foods, and leaving the healthier food for the kids during times of financial hardship. I can't get outside for that morning, afternoon or evening walk - it just can't happen at this point.

I have already, by cutting out some of my comfort foods, by reducing my intake of carbs (breads, pasta and potatoes - not altogether just cutting them right back), reducing potions sizes, 1/4 tsp raw sugar in my tea, added a little exercise into my day on my orb-o-trek, started to fit into clothes much more comfortably. I'm now focused on thinking if I don't make a change now to my health, that I won't be a healthy mother or in the future grandmother for my grand children - God willing.
I know what my vocation is and I want to fulfil it to the best of my ability for God and my family and this added weight has been a hindrance to that.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version