Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: High Protein, Low Carbohydrate Diet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

If that's the case, then I'm free to use normal cheese, yogurt, sour cream and cottage cheese? Yea! (I'm not a milk drinker, and adding chocolate syrup to it would make it become a treat for me.)
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 1:06am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

Syncletica wrote:
What can I do with the beans to change them up a bit?

Put the carrots and celery in the pot for soup.
Refry them in a pan with a little oil.
Top eggs with beans, cheese, and salsa for huevos rancharos.
Now I'm hungry .

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Definitely full fat dairy products. I would check the carb count on chocolate syrup, first.

Eggs? We eat a lot of eggs here.

Honestly, giving up meat on a low carb diet is not going to be easy. And given that you are nursing, a wide variety of veggies would be a good idea. Dh and I do a lot of main course salads with meat on them. Or stews with meat and root veggies (carrot, celery, rutabaga, turnip) but without potatoes or rice. Turnips are a nice alternative to potatoes with much lower carbs. Also, lots of broccoli and cauliflower.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Those are some great ideas! Thanks!
And I just thought of lentils, barley, buckwheat, split peas. Are those off limits?
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Syncletica wrote:
Those are some great ideas! Thanks!
And I just thought of lentils, barley, buckwheat, split peas. Are those off limits?

Just keep in mind that legumes ARE a carb, they do raise blood sugar and cause an insulin response (that is if your body makes insulin --if not you need a shot of it because they will cause blood sugar to go sky high, trust me I know!).

So I wouldn't say they are off limits but do moderate them.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

teachingmyown wrote:
So, what about snacks when you cut out carbs? I love cheese, but worry about high cholesterol. I am a major snacker, usually some kind of candy or cereal/crackers.

If I am going to cut down on carbs, I won't be able to quit snacking at the same time.

Molly,

I like beef jerky as a snack. Aldi carries a tasty and inexpensive brand. Also deviled eggs --I make those by the dozen and keep them in the fridge. Lots of raw veggies too --they really fill you up. Also, almonds and walnuts (I buy the big bags at Costco) make great snacks.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Thanks for the snack ideas. I had Court pick up some walnuts and baby carrots for me. (Of course, loving dh that he is, he also got my a pound of fudge for Valentine's Day!)

My first goal is to cut out bread products. This is so hard for me.

About cholesterol, did you know that you cannot get an accurate assessment of your cholesterol level when pregnant or nursing? Your levels will be higher at these times, and I guess they go down when you are no longer nursing. Since, I have been pregnant/nursing for 14.5 years straight, I don't know what my cholesterol level is. So, for now, I plan to act as if I have high cholesterol. It is good to know what eating plans and exercise programs are helpful, in addition to supplements.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I've been reading up on the South Beach diet, soo interesting!! Very balanced and yet having good results.
The author explains the concepts so well. Is anyone else doing this?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Erin,

I have been doing a modified version of the South Beach Diet for a week now. I am not doing a phase 1 at this point. What I have done is to eliminate carbs at breakfast and lunch and eat sensible dinner (no seconds) and then make sure I have two snacks, one at mid-morning and one at mid-afternoon.

I have never dieted before and I find that it takes a lot of mental energy planning the meals especially since I "made" my dh get on the diet with me. I have to make sure I get up early enough (he leaves by 6:45) to make his breakfast and then I have to pack his lunch and two snacks. I have had to switch the way I think about breakfast and lunches and I find that I ended up doing two breakfasts and two lunches, one for the kids and onefor me. I don't know how long I can keep this up. Any ideas on how to streamline breakfast and lunch?

PS.Sorry for the long post. I didn't need to give so much detail

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

mum2five
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 23 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote mum2five

I completely went off carbs when pregnant with Pip and craved nuts, cheese and loads of vegetables and fruit. I did eat some carbs but only small amounts otherwise I felt totally whashed out! I put on just a stone in weight, Pip was over 7lbs at birth and the day after I gave birth I weighed less than I did at the start! For me this type of eating pattern is really helpful.
Back to Top View mum2five's Profile Search for other posts by mum2five Visit mum2five's Homepage

lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 24 2010 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

mum2five wrote:
I completely went off carbs when pregnant with Pip

When you say you gave up carbs ... all carbs or just the starchy carbs (i.e. pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.)?

Back to Top View lovebeingamom's Profile Search for other posts by lovebeingamom

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2010 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Erin wrote:
I've been reading up on the South Beach diet, soo interesting!! Very balanced and yet having good results.
The author explains the concepts so well. Is anyone else doing this?

I read the book last year. It was pretty close to what I try to do anyway, but recently I have lapsed again.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

What is net carbs? What about "low carb" alternatives? I've bought these low carb tortillas for years and it still says 31 g of carbs but it says 10 g of net carbs b/c there's 21 g of dietary fiber. Does that matter?

I just don't think I can give up carbs but what about these alternatives to reduce carb intake?

mum2five
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 25 2010 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote mum2five

lovebeingamom wrote:
mum2five wrote:
I completely went off carbs when pregnant with Pip

When you say you gave up carbs ... all carbs or just the starchy carbs (i.e. pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.)?

Just the starchy stuff. I ate fruit,nuts and cheese for breakfast, a huge salad with cheese/fish/pulses for lunch and some kind of casserole or bake with a small amount of rice etc for tea. I still eat like this now and am currently breastfeeding a toddler.
Back to Top View mum2five's Profile Search for other posts by mum2five Visit mum2five's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Natalia wrote:
PS.Sorry for the long post. I didn't need to give so much detail

Not too much detail at all! That's the sort of information I like    Whilst we are on a personal note, dh has informed me that since I have stopped eating wheat I no longer.... snore

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2010 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Natalia

How are you going with your diet? Is anyone else trying this?

Interestingly I have discovered I am intolerant to wheat! By eliminating and then breaking a couple of days I felt sick.

Anyone else had similar results?

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2010 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Kathryn wrote:
What is net carbs? What about "low carb" alternatives? I've bought these low carb tortillas for years and it still says 31 g of carbs but it says 10 g of net carbs b/c there's 21 g of dietary fiber. Does that matter?

I just don't think I can give up carbs but what about these alternatives to reduce carb intake?

Net carbs means the actual amount of carbs in the food. On US food labels, fiber is included in the total carb count. You can subtract the fiber, since your body eliminates it. Total carbs minus fiber= net carbs.
But you do have to watch out, some companies will also subtract sugar alcohols from the total carb count to be able to list a lower net carb level.
IMO, that is very misleading.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2010 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Erin wrote:
Interestingly I have discovered I am intolerant to wheat! By eliminating and then breaking a couple of days I felt sick.

Anyone else had similar results?

We started eliminating first wheat and then gluten after my son was diagnosed with gluten intolerance. That was six years ago. We started looking into the blood type diet by D'Adamo. We're all blood type O and wheat is not allowed for that blood type. Ever since cutting out wheat and later all gluten, we've been feeling much better. My husband can't tolerate gluten at all anymore and I don't eat any grains due to some other health problems. Some of our children can eat wheat in sprouted breads like Ezekiel bread or Manna bread.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2010 at 1:51am | IP Logged Quote Erin

pmeilaen wrote:
We're all blood type O and wheat is not allowed for that blood type.

Eva
How interesting I never knew that. I wonder if everybody with Blood type O is aware of this?

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2010 at 5:20am | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Erin wrote:
pmeilaen wrote:
We're all blood type O and wheat is not allowed for that blood type.

How interesting I never knew that. I wonder if everybody with Blood type O is aware of this?

I don't think that many low carb diet people know about D'Adamo's work, but his diet suggestions for blood type O are basically a low carb diet. He even specified his suggestions more in his new book The GenoType Diet. There the suggestions for "the hunter" (one blood type O group possibility) are to live gluten free, not just wheat free.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version