Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: High Protein, Low Carbohydrate Diet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

Erin wrote:
Just weighed myself a week later. I've lost 500gms! I'm inspired now to introduce exercise, I can actually loose weight

So far all I have done is eliminate bread, biscuits (which also means refined sugars) and processed cereals.

I want to encourage anyone who is considering changes. It is such a good feeling to see a change in the scales.

O.K.! Call me encouraged! I've been thinking about doing this again but have been putting it off. I am a cookie addict (and my hips are showing it ) so I will expect some withdrawls, but I've got some things that I'd like to fit into this summer without popping buttons . Maybe I'll hang them in the pantry ro remind me when I hunt for hidden sweets . Thanks for starting this thread Erin .

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I found the book Eat Fat, Loose Fat by Sally Fallon to be very informative for loosing weight. She gives three different types of meal plans for a week and quite a few recipes in the back, especially focusing on coconut oil.

The main point of the book is to eat good quality fats, with a focus on coconut oil (which is very good for weight loss).
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 11:44pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I don't have the book about the South Beach diet, but would like to start this kind of diet for Lent. I cannot seem to give up my sweet tooth and my breads unless it's a time for self-denial.
Would someone be willing to give me some ideas to start?
I would give up the sweets and the breads - what else?
Or is there anything else?
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Syncletica,

Maybe this will help:

How to Start the South Beach Diet The site also has a lot of recipe ideas.

My dh and I had started a somewhat modified SBD. I am trying to eliminate carbs at breakfast and lunch, making sure we have healthy snacks at mid-morning and mid-afternoon, and eating reduced portions at dinner. I am not doing the phase one: cutting out all carbs including fruit, I am just adjusting this to what I can handle right now. We just started yesterday. Let's see how it goes.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

I like to eat high-protein, low-carb but over time I've found it's too expensive. I've had to add more grains back into the diet (mostly rice) to keep the budget. We eat a fair amount of potatoes too. When I was eating strictly low-carb I always had eggs & a little cheese for breakfast and a piece of meat with a little salad for both lunch and dinner. I was completely sugar-free for months, which was great. I have mostly given up bread entirely anyway due to celiac disease and I rarely eat fruit...it's just too sweet for me. My teeth felt awesome! But honestly, I can't afford to feed the entire family that way. Six chicken breasts or ground beef patties for dinner every night is too much $$$.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

About stevia-

I have found that there is a HUGE taste difference between brands.
I use two types:

powdered NuNaturals NuStevia

and liquid Sweetleaf SteviaClear

I have tried other brands that were just - bitter, or not sweet at all.   So if you've had a bad stevia experience or have been less than impressed with it, try looking for a different brand.   
I use it for tea and hot chocolate and love it, especially since it is all natural and not an icky chemical fake sweetener

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I use the Sweetleaf in Vanilla Creme in my greek yogurt and the Peppermint in hot cocoa (made with cocoa powder and whole milk). Its very very good and lasts a long time.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Bookswithtea wrote:
I use the Sweetleaf in Vanilla Creme in my greek yogurt and the Peppermint in hot cocoa (made with cocoa powder and whole milk). Its very very good and lasts a long time.

I've used stevia for years in every form. I tend to like the liquid for hot beverages and the powder for cereal. I carry packets of stevia in my purse for when I'm at a ballgame or restaurant to add to plain tea (hot or cold.) But...I'm behind the times and didn't notice that there is flavored stevia! Thanks for the tip.

Oh...just found a SoBe beverage at Costco with xylitol. It's pricey and I can't decide if I like it or not but I'm always on the look out for something new to drink.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Erin wrote:
Just weighed myself a week later. I've lost 500gms! I'm inspired now to introduce exercise, I can actually loose weight

So far all I have done is eliminate bread, biscuits (which also means refined sugars) and processed cereals.

I want to encourage anyone who is considering changes. It is such a good feeling to see a change in the scales.

Congratulations, Erin!
By your post, it sounds like giving up the breads and cereals wasn't too hard (no torture involved ) for you. That's wonderful because I think it's easier as each day passes.

I look forward to your updates.....it's always encouraging to know IT CAN BE DONE.

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

LeeAnn wrote:
I like to eat high-protein, low-carb but over time I've found it's too expensive. I've had to add more grains back into the diet (mostly rice) to keep the budget.

Yes, I agree that purchasing enough protein for meals and snacks adds up quickly. Thankfully, that full feeling stays longer after eating protein. Eating healthy does cost more. My children are carb addicts.      A meal without rice, noodles, or potatoes is looked at with a bit of confusion. It's what they focus on and eat 2nds of. One steak or chicken breast would feed all my children. They just aren't interested in the protein unless it's ground beef in spaghetti, tacos or like last night, two of my kids unrolled their tacquitos just for the meat.

Fruit is our budget killer!! We can never have too much and there never seems to be enough (our kitchen is always full of fresh bananas, apples, and grapes).

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

So, what about snacks when you cut out carbs? I love cheese, but worry about high cholesterol. I am a major snacker, usually some kind of candy or cereal/crackers.

If I am going to cut down on carbs, I won't be able to quit snacking at the same time.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I just ate a good snack per suggestion of the SBD book:
celery stuffed with light Laughing Cow cheese. It was surprisingly good. I also tried V-8 juice for the first time today and really liked it. I must be growing up!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Nina Planck's Real Food addresses the issue of cholesterol. Dr. Atkins didn't recommend more than 4 oz of cheese a day. So one snack for me would be 2 oz cheese. Another would be greek yogurt (4 oz). An ounce or two of nuts would be a third snack. Check the carb count on the container of nuts first...look for one with no more than 5 carbs per serving with 2 fibers per serving as well. Peanut butter on a spoon is something I've been known to do on occasion as well, but not regularly. I've noticed I tend to eat more like when I'm pregnant since I started with the low carb lifestyle. My dinners are usually a portion of meat and a big serving of veggies or a salad. So I am usually wanting something again at night.

Some less healthy options for snacks that taste good and get one "over the hump" when craving sugar would be sugar free jello with real whipped cream (the kind you make yourself with heavy cream so that its not sweetened...you can use a touch of stevia instead), and Atkins bars, which are *not* cheap, but will do when one is dying for a candy bar. Trader Joe's sells low carb chocolate. I like the dark chocolate with almonds, and 3 or 4 squares with a cup of tea at night seem to work for me. Its sweetened with maltitol, which is a sugar alcohol.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I like those Dove bars (the dark chocolate ones) that are divided in small squares. When I have a craving for something sweet, I eat one of the squares and I feel I haven't cheated too badly. They are so small!

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

There are some ideas here:

Low Carb Snacks

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Even if you don't normally like dark chocolate.. you should try the dove dark chocolate.. because it's no where near as bitter as much dark chocolate.. I've gotten bags of it on clearance after a holiday.. little foil wrapped squares.. and those are more satisfying for wanting chocolate than much greater amounts of milk chocolate.. and normally I wouldn't say I like dark chocolate but dove is an exception.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

Avacados have 1.7 net carbs per half, so guacamole has been one of my snacks recently. It makes a good veggie dip. I just mix some pico de gallo ( basically fresh cut salsa) and garlic salt into mashed avocados. I even use it on cheese and meat lettus wraps with sliced peppers and whatever else I can find in my veggie drawer to chop up and throw in .

Also, I remember when I had to do this a really long time ago, I came across a recipe for ambrosia. I don't remember the recipe exactly, but it went something like this...
                   AMBROSIA
mix 1c cottage cheese
with 1c sour cream (yogurt or whipped cream would work too)
add 1 can manderin oranges
    some clean grapes
    1/2c coconut
    any other fruit of choice cut up small
Sweeten with low cal sweetener of choice (at the time I used Equal )
Stir everything together and keep in fridge.
Sounds like a good fill in for when everyone else is having dessert that is high carb.

FWIW, I know a nurse who went on Atkins and worried about his cholesterol, so he made sure to moniter it closely, and he found that it went DOWN while on it. It seems that the storing of fats affected it more than just the eating of them. So if you worry about cholesterol, you might have it checked .

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

growing up we'd make ambrosia with coolwhip and fruit cocktail from a can. obviously you wouldn't want all the carbs in coolwhip.. but anyway, it's a lovely light dessert.. but you won't want to make too much ahead because the fruit will thin the "cream" and make it running which isn't near as attractive

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2010 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I plan on trying to do Phase 1 starting in Lent, but I'm also giving up meat. I don't like low-fat dairy, nor do I have much money to buy a bunch of extra stuff. The only raw veggies I usually have on hand are carrots and celery. Am I stuck then with cooked dried beans, carrots, celery, nuts, seeds and fish? Should I make sure to add anything else to round it out health-wise? I am still nursing...and never have had a problem with not enough milk production, even when fasting. Unfortunately, it takes something like Lent to deny myself things like starchy foods and sweets. What can I do with the beans to change them up a bit?
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2010 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I thought you didn't want to use low-fat dairy when doing low-carb? that it needed to be full fat to keep the carbs in balance.

-Sir Walter Scott

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version