Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: High Protein, Low Carbohydrate Diet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

MicheleQ wrote:
JennGM wrote:
For those that pursue the low carb, how many days does it take for you to acclimate and not crave the carbs, or have withdrawal symptoms?

It usually takes me 2 -3 days depending on how much I have been sugar/carb loading beforehand.

The first time I started eating low carb, it probably took me a week or two to get used to eating so differently. At first I felt hungry a lot. I ate a lot of cheese in those two weeks for snacks. After the first two weeks, there was a noticeable reduction in appetite, and it started to become easier. Plus, by then I was feeling a lot better. In hindsight, I don't think I was consuming enough protein when I was doing Weight Watchers. That's not a fault of WW. I just think I was choosing to have a roll and a small piece of chicken instead of a decent sized piece of chicken breast with dinner, veggies and skipping on the roll altogether.

A weird bonus I didn't expect is that with low carbing, the weight came off differently. At the same weight after losing from the previous baby, I was an entire pants size smaller. It seemed like it was easier to lose the weight from my hips/thighs when low carbing than with WW. I have no idea why, I but I thought I'd share. That motivates me so maybe it'll help to get through the first week or two that is always hard.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

It took about 3 days to get passed the slight headache I had after giving up the coffee.

A few things stand out about going on a low carb. Like Books, I noticed the biggest decrease in my hips, thighs, and stomach. Five days in friends asked if I was on a diet because they noticed my stomach shrinking. I couldn't believe it would be noticeable so fast, but they insisted I was doing something...even when I tried to deny it. lol

I remember starting on a Monday then weighing myself that Thursday. Big mistake, I was UP 3 lbs. The normal response would be to quit, it's having the opposite effect, but I decided to wait until Monday....I was down 5 lbs (2.2kg) from my start weight. Another 5 lbs the following week, then a steady 2 lbs (sometimes 3) each week after that.

Hunger....the only time I felt hungry...actually felt like I was starving...was in the morning. I was used to only drinking coffee for breakfast, which must have depressed my appetite. I'd wake and go STRAIGHT to the kitchen and scramble 2 eggs. Almost knocking anyone over to get there.      After that I was fine and felt great snacking and eating meals throughout the day.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Michaela wrote:

I remember starting on a Monday then weighing myself that Thursday. Big mistake, I was UP 3 lbs. The normal response would be to quit, it's having the opposite effect, but I decided to wait until Monday....I was down 5 lbs (2.2kg) from my start weight. Another 5 lbs the following week, then a steady 2 lbs (sometimes 3) each week after that.

This happened to dh and I, too, when we started! Definitely wait a week to weigh in. And like any diet, you can still hit plateaus. Eating a little bit differently for a day or two can shake the body off a plateau, like eating a slightly higher fat intake one day than normal, and then eating a lower fat intake the next.

Which reminds me, you don't have to give up pizza on a low carb diet, which I consider to be a major . We start with a crust and then pile on the toppings and cheese very thickly. When its baked and cooled slightly, you can peel off the toppings and throw the crust away (my kids still eat the crust, of course). This tastes surprisingly like the real thing. We've been known to buy take and bakes and just add extra toppings and cheese before baking. Very easy and everyone likes it.

~Books

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Bookswithtea wrote:

Which reminds me, you don't have to give up pizza on a low carb diet, which I consider to be a major . We start with a crust and then pile on the toppings and cheese very thickly. When its baked and cooled slightly, you can peel off the toppings and throw the crust away (my kids still eat the crust, of course). This tastes surprisingly like the real thing. We've been known to buy take and bakes and just add extra toppings and cheese before baking. Very easy and everyone likes it.

Oh my, I thought I was the only one that did this, Books !!

When I did low carb earlier in 2009, the first three days were hardest. But I did feel better instantly! No sluggishness after eating, no cravings, and quick weight loss kept me motivated. I missed eating fruit, so after I did an Atkins induction, I added fruit back in and found that I could still lose weight at a reasonable pace. Now that I am expecting, I haven't totally abandoned my low carb ways...I still try hard not to eat refined sugar or white flour (well...most days anyway!) but I have added oatmeal and whole grains. I feel great (no water retention, good energy levels) and have not gained as much weight (so far ) as in past pregnancies. Just judging by the way I feel, I'm convinced this is the way I need to eat for the rest of my life!    

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I'm finding this all so interesting and supportive

I've been snacking in dried apricots, would that be alright? Dairy is out for me as I'm intolerant/allergic so loking for altrantives.

At present lunch is the hardest, I was looking through my pantry at lunch muttering to the children that we have alot of Carb's in this house.

I'm planning on Fried Rice for tea do you know if Jasmine Rice is okay? I can use Brown Rice otherwise, dh prefers Brown.

Did anyone notice more energy? And I agree I feel and look less bloated and I'm only on Day 2!

Whoops just noticed Mary reports 'good energy levels'

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

This is all very inspiring. I have to admit, I've been afraid to start a low carb diet because I don't think I can actually live that way. Do the pounds come back on quickly if you go off the diet? I tried the Fat Flush diet, which I think is similar to South Beach and lost weight quickly. But ... I gained it back.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

If you have any genetics or family history of Diabetes you should NOT do a atkins/low carb diet. You will be taxing your kidneys too hard and do long term damage.
(now back down off my soap box...I'm a registered Dietitian and just went to a continuing ed class yesterday on diabetes....and read even more research about how this kind of eating doesn't last)

Please consider some small changes that you can do as a whole family. They last longer.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Marcia wrote:
If you have any genetics or family history of Diabetes you should NOT do a atkins/low carb diet. You will be taxing your kidneys too hard and do long term damage.
(now back down off my soap box...I'm a registered Dietitian and just went to a continuing ed class yesterday on diabetes....and read even more research about how this kind of eating doesn't last)

Please consider some small changes that you can do as a whole family. They last longer.

I don't think any kind of diet lasts long term. The person has to be committed to lifestyle change, no matter what method is used, kwim? Long term weight maintenance is harder than losing weight for most people.

I completely agree that one should check with a doctor about starting a new eating plan.

There is a tremendous amount of disagreement within the health community on the benefits and dangers of low carb lifestyles. I think its a good idea for anyone interested in it to do some research first.

~Books

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I think that the biggest reason a diet like Atkins works is because in eliminating carbs, one is eliminating white flour and sugar. I'm not a dietician, but I think that if you presently eat a standard American diet, cutting *simple* carbs would be sufficient to make a big difference.

I also find that eating healthy, unprocessed but full fats helps with feeling satiated longer. Also, sometimes I feel hungry when I'm really thirsty. Drinking a glass of water prior to eating can help (though, i'm not always good at doing this myself).

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I picked up the South Beach Diet book at Goodwill a couple of months ago? I was thinking about giving it a try (first time in my life dieting). I have some questions in no particular order:

What is the difference between Atkins and South Beach diets?

Is there any kind of non artificial sugar substitute that could be used in tea?

Thanks,

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

The little I have heard is that South Beach isn't quite as extreme as Atkins.

And Stevia is an herb not artificial.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I picked up the SBD book once out of curiosity. While it does cut the carbs, its also very focused on low fat. The recommendations included egg whites or ff egg substitute instead of whole eggs, low fat cheeses instead of regular, etc. It reminded me of a cross between Atkins and WW.

I think the sweetener Truvia is made from stevia and can be used safely (if I'm wrong about that, someone please let me know?). Straight powdered stevia can also be used, but its very very potent and using too much makes it taste disgusting. I use 1/4 tsp in an entire 1/2 gallon of iced tea, so you can imagine how hard it would be to figure out how much to put into one cup of tea.

~Books

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

JodieLyn wrote:

And Stevia is an herb not artificial.

I don't know anything about Stevia. I did a quick search and I noticed in comes in several forms. Books below mentioned using power, what is the difference between the different forms? which is one is easier to use? Do you use it regularly? do you use it in bake goods?

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Bookswithtea wrote:
I picked up the SBD book once out of curiosity. While it does cut the carbs, its also very focused on low fat. The recommendations included egg whites or ff egg substitute instead of whole eggs, low fat cheeses instead of regular, etc. It reminded me of a cross between Atkins and WW.

Yes I noticed that. I am wondering about doing a modified version. I wonder if dieting would be like curriculum for me: I can't never do it as written.

Quote:
I think the sweetener Truvia is made from stevia and can be used safely (if I'm wrong about that, someone please let me know?). Straight powdered stevia can also be used, but its very very potent and using too much makes it taste disgusting. I use 1/4 tsp in an entire 1/2 gallon of iced tea, so you can imagine how hard it would be to figure out how much to put into one cup of tea.

ARe there other commercial brands made from Stevia that I need to know about when I am looking for it? i wonder if the liquid form will be easier to measure using a dropper, what do you think?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You could always mix up a bit of the pwd into water or such.. and then use the dropper or a spoon to add just a bit of your sweetened water to your cup of whatever.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Natalia wrote:
I am wondering about doing a modified version. I wonder if dieting would be like curriculum for me: I can't never do it as written.

Absolutely, Natalia!

The only reason I mention Atkins is because that's what I read to start. I followed the Atkins induction phase for two weeks, added fruit in at some point (not sure if it was before induction ended or the 3rd week) continued to drop, and stopped actually counting carbs...more estimating than anything because the foods I was happiest eating were low in carbs. I'd call the rest of my time low carbing rather than specifically "being on Atkins".

You get an idea of what is ok to eat to your heart's desire and what should be avoided.

This thread has me ready to begin after having this little one is born. Right now, however, I have a huge aversion to meat.    

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I usually get my stevia at Trader Joes. They sell two forms. One is a pure powdered form. That's the stuff that I use 1/4 tsp in 1/2 gallon of iced tea. They also sell a stevia that is mixed with something else...not a sweetener. Possibly lactase or something like that? Anyway, its been mixed so that a person can use a teaspoon in tea or coffee without getting too much sweetener. Truvia is pretty much available at all grocery stores and comes in a packet form. I use liquid stevia in my greek yogurt (vanilla flavored). I use about a 1/4 of a dropper for a serving. It does come in a non flavored version but I don't have a clue how to measure it for a hot drink. I've never baked with stevia, but I hear it can be done. Liquid stevia is cheapest to get online. Its outrageously expensive at Whole Foods.

~Books

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I found Stevia to be a little bitter. Though I still have it and use it in lemonade. When I did the SB I used Xylitol in my tea--it wasn't on the list but I liked it better. It is a tad expensive though.

Rebeccca
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote Rebeccca

Erin wrote:
I'm trying not to think of yogurt I love yogurt but I am dairy intolerant so have to limit my dairy intake and yogurt is always a no go

Books
Sugar is easy, I don't drink tea or coffee, I'm a water gal; and if I steer away from processed foods which is just a matter of changing a couple of meals I'm right. But the bread, I want my bread

Thanks Stef I'll check out Kalyn's Kitchen.

Oh Michaela I ate my lettuce wrap last night at first I was thinking "I could have just one tortilla, it won't matter" but I knew if I broke that would be it

I'm feeling good so far.

Just wanted to say that my lactose intolerant girl can tolerate greek yogurt once or twice per week withno ill effects. I dont know why but it doesn't have the same effect as milk or cheese or other yogurt.
Back to Top View Rebeccca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebeccca

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 4:21am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just weighed myself a week later. I've lost 500gms! I'm inspired now to introduce exercise, I can actually loose weight

So far all I have done is eliminate bread, biscuits (which also means refined sugars) and processed cereals.

I want to encourage anyone who is considering changes. It is such a good feeling to see a change in the scales.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version