Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: YIKES!!!!Food prices!!!!HELP!!!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ok, I have seen some fluctuations in food prices over the years. And I have lived in places where food prices were a bit steeper than others (Fairbanks and Key Largo come to mind). I've had to shop the sales and be frugal. But I have never experienced what I am seeing here in Sitka. YIKES!
We are talking $7 for a box of Special K! $6.25 for a small jar of salsa!$5.99lb for chicken breasts!$5.35lb butter! $7.00 for a bag of chips! $7 for a bag of bagels! And $8.75 for a container of couscous! Olive oil??? Just please don't even mention that. I can't take it!
There are only 2 grocery stores in town,I checked them both out and they seem the same price-wise.
Lord help me!

The pros:
*I know I can probably get salmon cheaply in season, along with halibut and cod.
*No moose here in Sitka, but there are deer, so in hunting season I could likely get some of that.
*I can grow tomatoes and lettuce, for sure.
*Milk is reasonably priced, so no worries there.

But for everything else...
All you amazing frugal ladies out there: I need your help!
I need a PRIMER on buying food in bulk, frugal resources, and money-saving tips for folks isolated on a sub-arctic island!LOL!
Where are the best online sources for ordering in bulk that won't charge an arm and a leg for shipping to AK? What common mistakes should I avoid?
What can I make on my own that I might not think of? (Granola comes to mind, at $8 bucks a box).
Lay it on me frugal mama's!I am desperate!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ummm ouch!

Your problem is always going to be the cost of shipping.

So this post is about shipping.

Check out Amazon.. they ship to AK though I don't know their charges.. but people find that they can get food stuffs through them cheaper than other ways.

Look for the closest warehouse type of foods the closer it is the cheaper.. is there a co-op? would a local store give you a discount for buying by the case?

You might even consider Canadian sources because of the reduction of shipping with them being closer maybe? but I don't know how customs would work though.. though the exchange rate would be in your favor.

figure out the cheapest way to ship.. for instance.. when I order from Walton Feed (out of ID) if I order enough I can get UPS's cheapest hundred-weight shipping.. but that's over 500lbs worth.

But would UPS shipping be cheaper than Fed Ex? or ???

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Seconding Amazon. I just checked and it looks like when you can find free super saver shipping, that includes AK and HI. Also you can use their "subscribe and save" service on many food items, and save even more. The S & S is very customizable if you keep on top of it (i.e. you can push up a shipment, skip one, etc). Shipping is free on those items as well.

I don't have much more to offer, other than eating simply and in season as much as possible!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Consider if you could put up some sort of green house, maybe with lighting so that you can keep some minimal veggies going all year.. something attached to the house would help keep it warm and regulated.

If you can grow enough tomatoes you can probably make homemade salsa.. you can can it so supply your own salsa year round.

Can you raise chickens? those aren't too horribly time consuming or expensive (check the cost of feed and such).. which would give you eggs and chicken.

If milk is reasonable.. what about other milk products.. you said butter was $$$ but what about cream? you could make your own butter.. or yogurt.. or cheese if you can get the milk and cream.

You can make bagels, and corn tortillas (which can be cooked into chips) etc. If you can get the rolled oats, honey, oil, and add ins you can make your own granola.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Yes- Amazon! I love their subscribe and save program- it's free, as Amy said, and you get an extra 15% off. You can all sorts of groceries with super saver shipping- and you can cancel at any time.

I can get organic stuff (like mac and cheese from Annie's) for much cheaper than the local stores- delivered to my door!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Theresa--This is what groceries were like when we lived in the Caribbean...even more for many things, and it was crazy. What I eventually realized is that the locals were doing very little of their shopping in the grocery store. There were little individual local businesses that they got certain items from, and these were much cheaper, once you got the in...bread man was on his porch on Wednesdays, mango man came with fresh produce on Tuesday mornings at the dock, pig man brought whole pigs and cut them up at the ferry landing on Saturdays.
Is there a chance the locals might be able to clue you in a bit as to what they buy and where?
We could get chicken wings and lo mein noodles cheap and we had bulk rice and powdered milk from the church. My neighbor brought me eggs from her chickens regularly. I can't tell you how many meals I figured out how to cook with these ingredients. It may be a matter of having to simplify your menu to revolve around a few affordable things.
And when you get really desperate, let us know, and we'll ship you olive oil and chocolate!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

I feel your pain!
When we moved here to Florida, I nearly lost my mind.
Hubby doubled my household budget, and I was still wondering how we were going to eat.

I have my family bring me certain things when they come to visit from Tx all the time.

I will check out Amazon - first I have heard of this.

My Blog

"Duty before everything, even something holy"
St.Padre Pio
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Colleen has some good ideas there. If you can figure out what things are reasonable for you to buy.. then we can also help brainstorm different ways to prepare those items.

-Sir Walter Scott

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Interestingly enough, there is quite a variety of Asian foods available at what seems like reasonable prices. I may need to experiment with these a bit more and find ways to integrate them into our diet. Which is cool, actually. The kids and I love to experiment with new foods (Dh, not so much).
I am sure once the kids get here and we begin to immerse ourselves in this community, get to know more people, we will pick up a bunch of tips on local buying options. but I still feel like I am going to have to radically alter our food buying practices to include more bulk buying, cooking in bulk, and cooking more "from scratch" items than I would normally do.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

missionfamily wrote:

And when you get really desperate, let us know, and we'll ship you olive oil and chocolate!

Now that's what I call friendship!!!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Ok, I have S&S but not for groceries. What are you all buying? I'm trying to avoid processed stuff and it seems most of the things for S&S are processed. But then maybe I just haven't looked closely enough yet.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

stefoodie wrote:
Ok, I have S&S but not for groceries. What are you all buying? I'm trying to avoid processed stuff and it seems most of the things for S&S are processed. But then maybe I just haven't looked closely enough yet.

I know I've gotten "egg replacer," quinoa, coconut oil, rice....hmmm, I'm blanking.

Definitely look around. One search doesn't necessarily bring up everyhing applicable I have found, I have had to search with various terms and follow drill down menus, etc.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

stef, i order steel cut oats, kashi cereal by the case, annie,s organic mac n cheese, all of our toiletries and seventh generation diapers, seven grain rice, organic fair trade coffee, fruit leathers by the case...there's tons of health food store type stuff available for much cheaper than i can get it locally, and we don't have many coop options here.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

check out the book Family Meals for $75 bucks. even some ethnic recipes in there.
book link

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Yes, thirding or fourthing Amazon. If you do the Subscribe and Save you get an additional 15% off and free shipping (including to AK). You can cancel at any time, so I set things to every six months so I have plenty of time to cancel if I want. It may not be cheaper than Costco or Aldis, but when you have no alternative it is definitely more reasonable. Also, sign up for the emails and stock up during the sales. In the last few months Kashi and Special K cereals have been on sale 50% off or more.

There is also netgrocer.com, but there prices don't seem as good and I'm not sure about shipping to AK. They do carry smaller quantities of things, though, which sometimes can be a plus.

What about Bob's Red Mill? Do they charge $$$$ to ship to AK?

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Bethany

I have used Amazon S&S also, and if they ship to you in AK that would be a great deal over the prices you were mentioning. I also checked another new site Alice.com, they currently only ship to the lower 48, but I would keep checking. They have very good prices on drug store type items and they ship free. I think after the first order you have to purchse at least 6 items ?, but they have "coupons" to use and it can make some items quite a good deal.

I've also found Fed Ex ground to be much more affordable than UPS, but I've never shipped to AK.

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

When we lived on an Island of the coast of BC food prices were pretty steep.

Some things we did....
-bought humongous bulk orders when we were on the big island. Are groceries cheaper in any other centre in Alaska?
-made bread. Lots of it!
-ate LOTS of fish, canned lots of salmon, smoked salmon etc. (seems like that would be right up your alley! The canning is such a breeze if you can can fruit. The drying is a bit harder but it endears you to your neighbors pretty quickly- nothing like a white woman sawing through salmon to bring the neighbors out with pointers!)
-the More with Less Cookbook. Lots of bean and lentil recipes which are good if you can get the food in bulk on a bigger outing.
-sprouting?? We didn't do this but this would be a good way to get some greens.
- for health foody type stuff I am not sure if Horizon ships there (they are a big supplier in BC and you can create a coop (just make all your family members sign ) , but I am not sure about shipping there..

We had it much easier as we could take a boat and drive a few hours to better prices so would do it once a month or so- the rest of the time we had to brave the ridiculous Tofino tourist prices...

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Kristie I think that's what a lot of people here do--take the ferry once a month (or so) into Juneau to stock up. I will look into those other options you mentioned.

I have had the More with Less Cookbook for years and never used it. Looks like I will finally put it to use!

And Amazon is looking better and better! Thanks, everyone!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Theresa if "lots of people" are going into Juneau..you need to get in with some that might not want or can't make the trip all the time.. everyone chips in for the cost of the trip and one person can go with lists for several.. get part of their trip financed by buying for the others and no one has to make the trip every month.

-Sir Walter Scott

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Wow lots of great ideas! My daughter in law says to tell you she can sympathize --her parents live in Metlakatla on Annette Island and prices are very much the same. They don't get much in the way of having things shipped though because it's just too expensive and it takes too long --never mind that you have to actually go to Ketchikan to pick it up because they won't bring it to the island. Did I ever tell you about the 40 lb. of frozen Salmon they sent to my house (in July!) for the wedding reception? It arrived at my house a soggy smelly mess. We didn't have salmon at the reception.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version