Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Groom's Cake Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Who pays for this? Does it matter? Protocol?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

I think the bride chooses the cake. I surprised my dh with a cake that looked like a fishing boat. He loved it. My sister just married in Nov, surprised her dh with one that looked like a humidor with real cigars on the top.. I guess I didn't answer your question.
I only recall the groom being responsible for the tux, rehearsal dinner and the honeymoon.

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Traditionally, it's from the bride.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Was it someone here who made a groom's cake like a giant Twinkie?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is something I've not heard of so, in googling to see what you all are talking about, I see it is a tradition of the South primarily. Very interesting...

Cay, I'm now wondering why you are asking this question...hmmmm...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I have no clue.

At my wedding, it was a lemon seseame seed bundt cake.

It mattered bc my dh is type 1 diabetic and this cake was sans fronsting, icing, and high sugar. His aunt L made him his favorite cake. We placed a slice of it behind the wedding cake and no one really noticed that I got wedding cake and he got lemon cake when we fed each other.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

When I was married ten years ago, my family paid for it. We used it as a yummy alternative (chocolate with chocolate icing) to the wedding cake (white cake with white icing). My dh doesn't really like cake either way.

Every time I think about groom's cake, though, I think about the "bloody armadillo" cake from Steel Magnolias.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

MaryM wrote:

That was my first thought, too!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I had no idea that this was just a Southern thing! I wonder how the tradition got started?

I was married 13.5 years ago and my family paid for our groom's cake. I chose it to be a surprise for my husband who didn't get to see it until the reception.

I guess I was under the impression that it was supposed to be something fun for the groom and a dessert alternative to the wedding cake. Our wedding cake was white with raspberry filling (I think) and the groom's cake was chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!!!

Barbara C. wrote:

Every time I think about groom's cake, though, I think about the "bloody armadillo" cake from Steel Magnolias.

One of the options presented to me was a 3D cake shaped like a computer (since my Husband was a computer guy) but it had grey frosting and reminded me way too much of the "bloody armadillo"!!!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Well, we had a small wedding, but it still would have been nice to have a groom's cake (I was born, raised, and married in the Atlanta area).

ANd yes, the bloody armadillo is what came to my mind (although, so did several bits of Ace of Cakes)

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Matilda wrote:
I was married 13.5 years ago and my family paid for our groom's cake. I chose it to be a surprise for my husband who didn't get to see it until the reception.

I guess I was under the impression that it was supposed to be something fun for the groom and a dessert alternative to the wedding cake. Our wedding cake was white with raspberry filling (I think) and the groom's cake was chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!!!

This is similar to us. I made my husband's cake -- in the shape of a football, kahlua cake with chocolate frosting. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. But it was a surprise for him.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

kingvozzo wrote:
MaryM wrote:

That was my first thought, too!

Mine too

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

and I don't even know what you're talking about...
What IS a groom's cake? And, yes, Cay, why are you asking? Just idle curiosity?   

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

hylabrook1 wrote:
and I don't even know what you're talking about...
What IS a groom's cake?

What is a Groom's Cake

and Wikipedia

Traditional (I mean in the old days back when my parents got married ) Southern receptions were basically cake and punch, and maybe some finger sandwiches. Sit down receptions with dinners is more of an East Coast/New York tradition.

So, maing a special extra cake masculine style for the groom made sense since the cake was truly the centerpiece of the reception.

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I am still just flabbergasted by this whole "it's just a Southern thing". My husband is just now telling me that he had never heard of such a thing as a "Groom's Cake" until our wedding!

Anyway, I found this which seems to make a lot of sense:

In the past, the groom's cake was actually called the wedding cake, and what we now think of as the wedding cake was referred to as the bride's cake. Over time, the terminology was reversed, but superstition surrounding the groom's cake was not lost. According to an old myth, if a single woman sleeps with a piece of the groom's cake under her pillow, she will dream of the man that she will marry.

The first groom's cakes were reserved for guests to take home as a memento of the wedding. For this reason, they were usually made of dark, heavy fruitcake since it is durable and keeps for a long period of time. Contemporary groom's cakes, however, are not bound by old traditions. In fact, the groom's cake is a perfect opportunity to express creativity. Many grooms like to have the cake decorated or shaped into something that reflects one of their hobbies, or something the couple enjoys doing together.

If it was considered a wedding favor then it would have had to be something like a fruitcake or an alcohol soaked cake that could have lasted a lot longer than the light and fluffy wedding cake.

I would love to know if any of our ladies across the pond or down under have ever heard of this tradition! Thanks Cay for bringing it up and yes, I too am wondering why?

Waltzing Matilda

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

JennGM wrote:
I made my husband's cake -- in the shape of a football, kahlua cake with chocolate frosting. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. But it was a surprise for him.

Wow! I think making the groom's cake yourself would be a beautiful act of love for him. I might suggest that to my girls when the time comes! And I would love to know how you made a cake in the shape of a football!

Waltzing Matilda

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Matilda wrote:
JennGM wrote:
I made my husband's cake -- in the shape of a football, kahlua cake with chocolate frosting. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. But it was a surprise for him.

Wow! I think making the groom's cake yourself would be a beautiful act of love for him. I might suggest that to my girls when the time comes! And I would love to know how you made a cake in the shape of a football!

He was wowed by it. I don't have pictures in digital form, or I'd share them. The key was the cake, Kahlua Cake recipe, a favorite especially among the men.

Then I made two layer cakes, then used a Wilton football cake pan on top. So not exactly a football. Just making the football cake wouldn't be enough to share, so that's the reason for the extra layers.

I usually don't frost this recipe, but did for this occasion. I see by the link above there are also football helmets...but I would have had a hard time picking Steelers or PSU for dh.

He's from PA, never had groom's cake but definitely appreciated the tradition!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Matilda wrote:
I am still just flabbergasted by this whole "it's just a Southern thing".

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I don't have a digital picture of mine either but since we had a good sized wedding, I also had to pick something that could be shared. My husband moved around a lot as a kid; not military, just gypsies, we like to joke! He had lived in 27 different cities before we got married so we found a lady who could make a cake that was a map of the continental US and I made flags for each place he lived. We also had a little baby figurine in Illinois, where he was born, and a heart with a cute little bride and groom figure for Texas. I think I liked the Groom's Cake better than the wedding cake!

Waltzing Matilda

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I think Cay's daughter got engaged. Nothing that I've formally read but just things I've inferred from her facebook status updates and stuff.

My husband had a groom's cake (in Boston). It was a cheesecake as it was his favorite. The reception people forgot to put it out. He had a big cheesecake to finish off later. He was not upset.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version