Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: laundry routines Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote melanie

Ok, so, I know everyone is waiting in breathless suspense to hear the resolution of our laundry saga.

Here's what we're doing now.
Each evening, when the kids are doing their evening lists, I have the two oldest take a laundry basket and bring the clothes from their bedrooms and a bathroom to the laundry room and dump the clothes on the floor in front of the washer. Then when I put the littles to bed, I bring down the laundry from my bedroom and bathroom, and the diaper pail if needed. I start the wash on all of this, finishing it up first thing in the morning if need be. Right now I am using the drier, but I hope to get new clothesline this weekend and resume hanging most days, and I can hang in the morning after breakfast and bring in the dry laundry in the early evenings before starting dinner and such. As I'm taking clothes out of the drier (and later, clothesline) I'm sorting into four baskets,,,one for the boys room, one for my oldest girl (the younger girl still sleeps with us and her clothes are in our room), one for my room, and one for linens and towels and such. In the evening after dinner, I bring the baskets in and fold each one..except for my oldest child, she folds her own and puts it away. I put the linens away, and I carry the upstairs one with me when I go to bed, putting it in my room to empty in the morning when I get dressed (because there's usually a baby asleep in my room by that time of night and I don't want to wake her up!) The boys basket gets put away in the morning after breakfast, because they are usually in bed by then too. And that's it! It's working well, folding is not as intimidating because it's not too much at once. This did require a couple of days of *massive* laundry folding as I got caught up, , but now it's all caught up and our mornings are running much more smoothly.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

mayappleridge
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 25 2010 at 3:27am | IP Logged Quote mayappleridge

My current routine isn't working for my family. We don't have a dryer and live in rainy Wales. So that's a problem too.

But right now on Monday and Tuesday I tend to do my boys' clothes (ages 8 and 10). I wash everything together and everything in cold. Then, if it's sunny enough, I hang outside (I love it when I can do this. It is the highlight of my day. I put on my iPod and go outside and sing. I know I must already have a reputation as the crazy American lady who sings all the time.) If it's not rainy, I hang on the heaters. If it's not cold enough out for heaters and it's rainy, then I have a landing on the way up to their room where there is a drying rack just for their clothes. I put one boys on one side and the other on the other side.

The other days I do my clothes and my husbands and my girls. All of these go in the same room. I dry them on racks in that room if the heaters or the sun are unavailable.

Diapers/nappies and towels and such are on an as needed basis. I sometimes end up doing my husband's clothes on the weekend, too.

Wednesdays I tend not to do laundry because we are gone all day to home ed group. Sundays I just try not to unless really needed.

Oh, also I have a tiny front loading washing machine.

As far as folding or putting away goes, I basically try to do it every afternoon. If I have access to heaters or sun, then it's easier. But relying on the drying racks makes it harder. Ideally I just hang my husband's work clothes on hangers and put them straight away when dry. The rest of it doesn't work that well. I do find if I can just spend a little time folding and delegating the putting away every afternoon, even if I don't get it all folded and put away, it's a start.

Now as to the piles and piles of dirty laundry taunting me still, I can't say anything. Obviously I need to be doing more but I just don't know how I can. I'm working on getting less clothes and wearing things more often.

the Explorer (boy) age 8
the Tiny Goddess (girl) age 3
and Miss Mousie (girl) age 2
Back to Top View mayappleridge's Profile Search for other posts by mayappleridge Visit mayappleridge's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version