Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: tuna kids will eat? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

MaryM wrote:
OK - so our tuna melts aren't a fried patty. It's tuna salad - for us just a very simple one - just tuna, some mustard and mayo. Spread the tuna mixture on a slice of bread, top with slices of cheese. Add top bread (buttered) and grill like a grilled cheese sandwich, until browned and cheese inside is melted.

I do something similar, tuna salad (with may0, onion, celery, pickles) But I top with cheese and make a sandwich and then put it in the toaster oven to toast and melt.

I'm going to this way too!
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

tuna with home made pesto over here. yum.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We do the tuna melt thing that Mary does, although I use vegenaise instead of mayo because of egg allergies. Tuna is also wonderful in empanadas, my now-13-yo loved that stuff when he was 1 (he doesn't anymore, go figure). The filling is sauteed in olive oil with garlic, onions, tomatoes, red peppers, and a bit of hot sauce is added + peas.

My tuna salad is similar to those already posted -- Vegenaise (instead of mayo), lemon juice, celery, onion, sea salt, pepper, a bit of mashed up garlic, and capers. I love capers.

Ooh, and tuna sauce on roast chicken or turkey is fabulous. Like a tuna salad but more liquid-y (just add more olive oil and lemon juice), cooked up and add mashed up anchovies.

I also don't like tuna in water (I tried many many times
) so we try to get the Italian tuna in olive oil. Expensive but worth it. Canned Alaskan salmon is a good alternative.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

had to add: that same tuna filling used in empanadas is also lovely mixed into a omelet.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

OK, so can someone explain to me what is different about tuna packed in oil? I can't imagine how the texture of the tuna would be that much different once its drained off?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

There is a tuna salad in the LLL cookbook that includes cabbage, carrots, noodles and I think olives. It is a lot of work to make and all of us but dh like tuna so I only fix it on some Fridays when dh will be eating tuna with us. He likes it. I think it depends on whether or not your children like a lot of raw veggies and such. Mine do - but some kids might find it a bit novel and tangy.

Tuna Macaroni slaw-

4 0z uncooked macaroni
tuna (15 oz)
3 c of finely grated cabbage
1/3 cup of chopped celery
1 c sliced carrots (I chop them up really fine)
1 bell pepper diced
1 medium onion finely sliced (I chop it really small)
about 4 oz of grated cheddar cheese
1 c of Italian dressing
3 T mayo
4 green olives sliced

Basically you mix tuna, vegatables and cheese in a bowl and then pour dressing over this and let it sit in the frig for an hour. Cook the macaroni,and stir in these and the olives.

I normally am very generous with the cheese and macaroni noodles (My dh will like almost anything if it has lots of noodles). I also tend to multiply the recipe so that I have rather huge quantities and have taken it to those church picnic type of things. By the time you are eating it, you hardly notice the tuna so it seems like a ton of work for those of us who are real tuna fans anyways.

Another way to sneak in fish, is to use canned Salmon and make Salmon patties - like the tuna patties. Canned Salmon tastes horrid just out of the can - but those patties are fine. (My mil got tons and tons of free cans of Salmon at some special/ coupon deal so we were overrun with those cans at one point. I have no idea what they normally cost.

Sometimes you can find frozen Salmon at a really good price and we grill this with some garlic and ginger and it is great. Normally we cannot afford the real fish but when we can it is a great treat.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

My non-tuna lovers will eat it if it's mixed with bbq sauce and served on toast.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2010 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm bumping this to see if anyone has any additional tuna recipes to add, not only for kids, but for moms with a more sophisticated palate .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Tuna Summary

Dressing

mayo
yogurt
mustard
olive oil
pesto
bbq sauce
ranch

Texture

celery
grapes
onion - white, red, green
nuts
pickles
raisins
apple
carrot
capers
dried cranberries
red pepper

Flavor

dill
salt & pepper
lemon spritz
relish
celery salt
garlic
basil
oregano
curry

Other

cole slaw
hard boiled egg
cheese - tuna melt, grilled
bread crumbs - to coat and fry
salad placed in empanada or omelete
with rice or noodels in casserole
tuna mac slaw
cream tuna on toast - mushroom soup diluted by half, drained tuna, peas

Will update as needed!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2010 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Not sophisticated, but we've used Ranch style salad dressing in place of mayo for tuna salad (we were out of mayo)...it went over quite well. The more added ingredients, the better the salad. In addition to celery and fresh or minced driedonion, we like seasonings...celery seed, garlic pepper blend, a little onion or garlic powder. We've used grapes, raisins or dried cranberries for chicken salad, but never for tuna salad...we'll have to try those for a Friday meal! Slivered almonds are also delicious good with chicken...I wonder how they'd taste with tuna!

We make tuna melts on toasted English muffins, with a slice of our favorite cheese, sometimes a thin slice of tomato under the cheese, then melt under the broiler until golden brown. We're fond of thinly sliced red bell peppers and red onion with sandwiches...I have a feeling those would be nice additions to tuna melts.

When we were children my mother made something she called cream tuna on toast. Mushroom soup, diluted by half, a can of drained tuna, peas (optional), served over toast slices. It's a comfort food for our family.

A funny thing...our son-in-law always thought he preferred canned albacore tuna...he wondered why Subway tuna subs always taste better than the tuna he ate at home...their secret, regular chunk style tuna. Funny how we expect something to taste better just beacuse it's more expensive. We experienced a similar phenomena with canned salmon. My grandmother and my mother always bought red canned salmon, always insisting it was so much better than pink salmon. My family all insist they prefer the pink, hands down (less fishy tasting).

We make salmon patties...drain salmon, add chives & garlic powder to taste, then mix with cracker crumbs and raw egg until you have a suitable consistency for forming patties (slightly dry mixture but not crumbly). Cook 3-4 in. patties in lightly oiled skillet, or bake in the oven. Serve with lemon juice, tartar sauce or homemade cocktail sauce (ketchup with horseradish). Very similar to crab cakes. I have a feeling you could make similar patties with tuna, we've just never tried.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

YUM!

Love,

drmommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote drmommy

I used to crave Tunacado sandwiches with my second child.

Tuna, mixed with alfalfa sprouts, avocado mixed in, grated carrots on toasted bread. My kids were grossed out until I gave them a dollar to try it! Now they LOVE it!!
Back to Top View drmommy's Profile Search for other posts by drmommy

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

You'll want to skip the story portion, but the recipe is absolutely delicious. Please copy and paste as I don't want to hot-link it.

This is for "Bouchons au Thon", a French recipe meaning "Tuna Corks", kinda like a tuna quiche.   

http://orangette.blogspot.com/2005/03/on-heresy-and-bouchons -au-thon.html

mom to five

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

Kid-a-licious: we mix tuna fish with Macaroni and Cheese for a quick and easy casserole. I won't touch it with a 10-ft pole, but I like tuna with apples and walnuts and mayo...kinda like a waldorf salad.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version