Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: SAHM or Homeschooling Mom... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh Laura, I must appologize, I completely forgot you'd said your dh did quite a bit. I was trying to address the idea that it's not necessarily anyone's "fault" but that sometimes things just change and we don't notice.

And yes sometimes it is hard to discuss a topic that people have preconcieved notions on. You last post made the conversation you were hoping for much clearer.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

JodieLyn wrote:
Oh Laura, I must appologize

no need, it's no biggie.

(i wasn't going to reply on the thread anymore - but i didn't want you to think i was ignoring you!!)
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

Well...should I reply? Do we really want the thread to die? I think it's a good one!

I liked MOTH, maybe because my dh doesn't do much housework wise? How can I tread delicately here? He's not the type of guy to come home and sit on the couch and bark for a beer, he's really not. I don't want to give that impression. He's wonderful, and he works a lot of hours at a demanding job, and he spends lots of time with the kids which I think is wonderful. But he's very, erm,,,absent-minded professor like and is a definite ADD adult, and he doesn't like housework, is very very slow at it, he doesn't cook *at all*, I mean, he ruined a box of macaroni and cheese the other week , and frankly, I'm happy if he keeps up with mowing the lawn. So, really, I do have to do all the housestuff. I do all the housework, the meals, shopping, laundry, bills and budgeting stuff, etc, and a lot of the yardwork as well, though I do delegate more and more to the older kids. My dh's big help is that he is always willng to do things with the kids to allow me time to catch up, and that really is a help...I can get much more done around the house in that time than he can, so it is really just the best for us that way. reading MOTH and putting it all down on paper forced me to be realistic about how many hours there are in a day and what I can really expect to get done. I tend to be rather absent-minded myself, and I lose track of time easily. It helps to keep me on track. I think the catch is to look at the schedule as a goal, something flexible that helps me prioritize and see where the day is going. I don't walk around with a timer and a whistle and go, "2:31, drop those books and hit the snack table!"    It also allows me to feel less guilt about things I don't have time to do, because I really can see that I *don't* have time for them, quite literally.

That being said...homeschooling IS a full-time job. Absolutely. Gregory Popcak says that all the time on his podcast, that homeschooling should be treated as a full-time job and the household chores should be split evenly between the spouses if mom does all the homeschooling (while I struggle not to collapse on the floor in hysterical laughter ).

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

Laura, I just now read this thread. and I have to say THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS!!! I actually skipped over much of the MOTH debate, but love your original question, and picked up enough in between that made me want to thank all of you who helped put my heart at ease and gave me food for thought.

Janet: I want to print out your response and hang it somewhere I will see it regularly.

I still think we need a new title ... "homeschooling mom" doesn't carry as much cachet as it should to those who aren't in the trenches.

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

LOL - I wish I had a dollar for everyone who's said to me, "You must be saint to homeschool - I could never do that!" (I could hire a cleaning lady with the money!)

I think there's a big tendency in the U.S. to turn to self-help books/shows/whatevers when we feel inadequate or overwhelmed. I'm not sure whether that is good or bad; I think it depends on the person.

Having a group (IRL or online) to turn to, one that offers real support and community, is an alternative that works better for me.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

guitarnan wrote:
I think there's a big tendency in the U.S. to turn to self-help books/shows/whatevers when we feel inadequate or overwhelmed. I'm not sure whether that is good or bad; I think it depends on the person.

This is a good point. Plus, the self-help books have a natural tendency to make a strong case for what they are presenting as a remedy. Understandably so! But that has to be kept in mind whenever you read a "how to" book -- I learned that the hard way.   

I also had to learn that these books are often written by choleric/melancholics so they would describe details from their lives that went way beyond the minimum call of duty.   Not that it's not good to aspire high -- but that THEIR road to perfection might not be exactly the same as mine. Their excellences could become my meltdown or burnout.

One more thing I realize -- is that the more counter-cultural a "self-help" book is, the more it tends to make its case in very strong terms.   It has to, because it has to convince readers that it is worthwhile to do things this way rather than the conventional way.    Nowadays homeschooling is relatively mainstream, and I've noticed that the newer books don't put nearly the psychic pressure on the reader that the older ones used to do.   They are more comforting and affirming.   But things like a MOTH time schedule are still sort of out of the mainstream -- partly because not all homeschoolers have large complicated families, etc -- so the case the author makes is supported by lots of Bible verses.   She never says this is "THE ONE RIGHT WAY" but she does certainly recommend it as a good way and for some readers, that amounts to a feeling of pressure and anxiety if they don't "measure up".

If you balance out these things before you start reading you can often find very good tips without feeling you have to adopt the system wholesale.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Willa wrote:
If you balance out these things before you start reading you can often find very good tips without feeling you have to adopt the system wholesale

Oh yes Willa. You can even skip some of the information. Like when I've read A Mother's Rule of Life.. I have NEVER not once even looked at the schedule she came up with for herself.. just skipped those chapters. It made it much easier to read the information for what it was without putting expectations on myself that would not likely be met.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Willa wrote:

Nowadays homeschooling is relatively mainstream, and I've noticed that the newer books don't put nearly the psychic pressure on the reader that the older ones used to do.   They are more comforting and affirming.   But things like a MOTH time schedule are still sort of out of the mainstream -- partly because not all homeschoolers have large complicated families, etc -- so the case the author makes is supported by lots of Bible verses.   She never says this is "THE ONE RIGHT WAY" but she does certainly recommend it as a good way and for some readers, that amounts to a feeling of pressure and anxiety if they don't "measure up".

This is really insightful, Willa. I never really thought about it consciously, but you are right. There is a sort of psychic pressure to deal with.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

teamommy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote teamommy

I know in my own life, I have spent a lot of time reading books on homemaking, scheduling, homeschooling, and getting it all done. These books have been very helpful in clarifying what I am doing, and really helping me think about my vocation. I have gained a lot from them. However, I had to realize (after having my dh point this out to me) That no system in the world would work for me if I did not become a better person! In other words, MOTH might be a great system that helps lots of ladies do it all, but it is not a magic system! I still have to do the work, have to overcome my mile wide lazy streak, have to do as I should, not as I want!A book might give me ideas, or help motivate me, but I am the one who has to make it happen! That realization has helped me more that any book I have read! I have also learned that to my family, food is important. They would rather have a home cooked meal and then all pitch in to do the laundry after dinner.My dh would rather eat well than sleep in a nicely made bed, and so that is my focus.
Back to Top View teamommy's Profile Search for other posts by teamommy

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

This is very true for me as well. I know half of my own problem (at least half!) is my own difficulties is making myself do what I don't feel like doing. I'll do really well for a while, and then backslide...it's a struggle to overcome my own sloth.
My husband would also much rather eat well than worry about housekeeping, . He really doesn't care what the house looks like. He wants to have good meals, and he wants laundry caught up enough so he can find easily what he needs for work and such. That's pretty much it. *I'm* the one that wants the house cleaner!

Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

MNMommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote MNMommy

teamommy wrote:
I still have to do the work, have to overcome my mile wide lazy streak, have to do as I should, not as I want!A book might give me ideas, or help motivate me, but I am the one who has to make it happen!

I had this eureka moment about two years ago. Why is the obvious not always obvious?

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Willa wrote:
I also had to learn that these books are often written by choleric/melancholics so they would describe details from their lives that went way beyond the minimum call of duty.

Wow- I've never noticed that before, but you are so right.

So why the heck aren't more sanguines writing books?

Oh. Right. Because if I was to write a book, it would say something like, "Just pour yourself another cup of coffee and relax. Most things aren't that big of a deal in the scope of life." And that just doesn't do a whole lot for people who are trying to amend their lives, does it?

In all seriousness, I do appreciate your advice, Willa, to keep perspective when reading a book- to think about where the writer is coming from and their intentions for writing in that particular way. It helps to remember that this is just one person sharing a way that works particularly well for them, not a dictate that advises it will work well for everyone.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Sarah M wrote:

Oh. Right. Because if I was to write a book, it would say something like, "Just pour yourself another cup of coffee and relax. Most things aren't that big of a deal in the scope of life." And that just doesn't do a whole lot for people who are trying to amend their lives, does it?

Perhaps the sanguines are the ones who come in on the second stage, to affirm the "relax and keep your perspective" message and dilute the effects of the hyper-intense first wave!

I usually try to read sanguine or phlegmatic books in between choleric/melancholic ones because it levels me out.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Sarah M wrote:
Willa wrote:
I also had to learn that these books are often written by choleric/melancholics so they would describe details from their lives that went way beyond the minimum call of duty.

Wow- I've never noticed that before, but you are so right.

More likely, I would say that to myself WHILE WRITING the book, maybe start another book or three, and never finish any of them, lol.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

CrunchyMom wrote:
More likely, I would say that to myself WHILE WRITING the book, maybe start another book or three, and never finish any of them, lol.

Ha! Good point! Because then I'd start talking about all three books I was writing and then, well, there goes the afternoon .

OK. That was totally a thread-hijack. Back to the real topic, then...
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Sarah M wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

Ha! Good point! Because then I'd start talking about all three books I was writing and then, well, there goes the afternoon .

OK. That was totally a thread-hijack. Back to the real topic, then...

Oh totally accurate.. it's so much more fun to talk to real people than write to "imaginary" ones Gotta get that feedback you know

-Sir Walter Scott

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

I've never been able to figure out which of those personality types I am...I think because I *want* to be one of the more type A ones...I figure if I could ever *make* myself become one, my life would be way more together and my house would be cleaner for sure. I mean, does anyone else, when a child suddenly becomes quite ill or their husband is late coming home and I'm starting to wonder if he's ok, one of the most pressing issues on my mind is, "Oh, I hope I don't have to have paramedics or police officers come into this messy house." "What if I suddenly went into some kind of baby-having emergency and my in-laws came up here and saw the house looking like this?"

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

LOL Melanie - I am very type A but tend to get distracted by whatever hot issue is happening in my household, so our house is chronically messy. It's not about being type A. I sure wish I knew what it was!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version