Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: American Girl doll woes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I need advice about an AG doll I bought my dd for Christmas.

I bought it in October, and when it came, I noticed there was loose hair in the box. Strange- but sure enough, every time I touched the doll's hair more came out. So I called- the company was very nice about sending a replacement.

The replacement came early December, and the hair was fine, but when I went to wrap it I noticed the ears were not pierced, which I had specifically wanted, since my dd loves earrings, shoes, etc.
I called again... again they were very nice and sent out a new doll.

And, of course, this new doll has pierced ears, but the hair is falling out, just like the first!

I did not give it to my dd for Christmas. I am contemplating returning this one, also, and just canceling my order. It does not seem meant to be for my dd to have this particular doll at this time.

Has anyone had similar issues? I feel very discouraged about this.
Fortunately, an older cousin of ours had an Elizabeth doll she had outgrown and brought it for my dd at Thanksgiving as a nice surprise for us. So dd was happy with that doll. At this point, I don't think she really needs another AG doll, and I do not want to keep the doll with the "bad hair".

Argh...but I feel like a moron calling up the company *again*....

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

No way should you feel like a moron. AG dolls are way too expensive to come damaged in any way, shape, or form! Seriously.

Send it back!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I agree with Sarah - send it back. You are sending it back for a legitimate reason.

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I'd send it back. I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I agree...send it back...ask for your money back. Don't get stuck with a defective product.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Absolutely send it back. We have bought several AG and Bitty Baby dolls over the years, and have found them not so well made, especially for the price. We have a one-armed Molly and a headless Bitty Baby... We never tried to send them back, but haven't continued to buy from this company.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

My dd got an AG doll,Just Like Me, for her birthday (12/22) and it is fine. But she got 3 of the same outfit for her from Targetfor Christmas and when returning 2 outfits yesterday we noticed we could buy another doll, with 2 outfits, for the same price as her 2 outfits we returned.
The doll is a little different from the AG doll but dh and I were disappointed in ourselves and wished we knew that there were other doll options-at Target and WalMart--that were close to AG and cheaper.
I have heard that AG is great with service so calling again probably wouldn't be an issue.

Maria in WI
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Maria in WI

mom2mpr wrote:
My dd got an AG doll,Just Like Me, for her birthday (12/22) and it is fine. But she got 3 of the same outfit for her from Targetfor Christmas and when returning 2 outfits yesterday we noticed we could buy another doll, with 2 outfits, for the same price as her 2 outfits we returned.
The doll is a little different from the AG doll but dh and I were disappointed in ourselves and wished we knew that there were other doll options-at Target and WalMart--that were close to AG and cheaper.
I have heard that AG is great with service so calling again probably wouldn't be an issue.

Just a note about the Target dolls- my dd6 has one of the American Girl look-alike dolls from Target, and the hair become completely snarled and un-combable very quickly. I have no experience with AG dolls, so I don't know if this is an issue with them, or not.

I would definitely return the doll. There must be another alternative out there for a good quality doll.
Back to Top View Maria in WI's Profile Search for other posts by Maria in WI

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

I'd call and send it back, yes again, if you are not happy, you need to let them know it. The doll that you have has something wrong with it so I'd ask for a pre paid shipping label and tell them this has been a frustrating experience with them... it should all be in their system why you've returned the others. If you don't want to replace the doll for other items, ask for a full refund, plus the shipping you originally paid.
We've had to return a new doll once when the eyelashes fell into the face.. very disturbing to a 5 year old, and once when a head rolled off.. obviously came untied so I let them know ( happened in front of me as we were getting her out of the box)
If a dolls head has fallen off, due to manufacture imperfection, let them know if you think it really just fell off. ( like came untied) and they'll replace it for you...
We have been buying from AG since our oldest was about 3 with her Bitty baby. I've never hesitated to call them if something is broken or defective or even missing. They do usually have excellent customer service.   

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

mom2mpr wrote:

just wanted to jump in here quick and say - aside from the problems the poor OP is having - the quality of the AG dolls far, far, far surpasses those in Target and Walmart.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

cactus mouse wrote:
mom2mpr wrote:

just wanted to jump in here quick and say - aside from the problems the poor OP is having - the quality of the AG dolls far, far, far surpasses those in Target and Walmart.

Good to know. Makes me feel better--though this Target doll was an extra. And I did wonder about the hair on the Target doll as dd's friend had to send her AG doll back due to brushing her hair without an AG brush and it was a mess Her friend got her the brush for her birthday

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thanks, everyone. The Elizabeth doll we have is very nice- good quality with no hair falling out, plus she is just beautiful, even after being loved by another little girl.

AG has been great through all of this- sending me free return labels, and originally when I bought the doll I had a free shipping code. So I am not out any money- just frustrated.

The falling out hair would upset my dd greatly. She is only five. I think I will return this doll, and then later, as she gets older, if she wants another doll, we will consider that when the time comes.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

We have great "luck" with Kathy Kruse dolls. They can absolutely be abused and still are great dolls. They are relatively expensive, but we watch for them on ebay where they go reasonably at certain times of the year.
You can even buy them used from dealers or collectors who are tired of them who have just dressed them up for display.

Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

We've never had any problems with AG dolls. We also own Beautiful Girlhood dolls from Vision Forum. Their clothes are lovely and modest and I think their hair is just gorgeous. That might be another option if you decide to pass on AG dolls.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

I really want to get something like AG for my dd's birthday. (That is IF we can swing it) Her older sister has AG Elisabeth and her hair is really a mess. We got the brush and all but it is bad. We tried to fix it using the directions on the site, but we noticed that there was no getting around the hair she was losing. I really want something with a beautiful face that will last.

Thanks for posting these ideas!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Bookswithtea wrote:
We've never had any problems with AG dolls. We also own Beautiful Girlhood dolls from Vision Forum. Their clothes are lovely and modest and I think their hair is just gorgeous. That might be another option if you decide to pass on AG dolls.

i think the VF outfits are so nice! but i just can't send a dime to VF (and i am SO not one who normally will boycott.)

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

cactus mouse wrote:

but i just can't send a dime to VF (and i am SO not one who normally will boycott.)

I totally respect this. I went with it at the time because AG was being boycotted over those dumb bracelets and our family gift for the 6 yr old birthday was an AG doll. I had to find something, so I blinked hard and pushed "order."

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Bookswithtea wrote:
cactus mouse wrote:

but i just can't send a dime to VF (and i am SO not one who normally will boycott.)

I totally respect this. I went with it at the time because AG was being boycotted over those dumb bracelets and our family gift for the 6 yr old birthday was an AG doll. I had to find something, so I blinked hard and pushed "order."

oh, goodness, no need to explain yourself!!!! and during the bracelet issue i looked at them, too.

and it has only been since then that i have really learned more and more about VF, and the Patriarchal Movement Doug Phillips espouses, and it just makes my blood run cold.

but, darn, those dresses are cute! i have found that if i show a picture to different seamstresses on Etsy, they will often happily make me one that looks the same.

Anastasia
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Anastasia

Uh oh, what's the Patriarchal movement? I just the got the VF catalog, and I do like the toys they have have. Though the overtly protestant books were a little annoying. Anything about them I should know?
Back to Top View Anastasia's Profile Search for other posts by Anastasia Visit Anastasia's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Anastasia wrote:
Uh oh, what's the Patriarchal movement? I just the got the VF catalog, and I do like the toys they have have. Though the overtly protestant books were a little annoying. Anything about them I should know?

i'll PM you, so we don't make the mods anxious.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version