Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Star or Angel? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

We have a homemade paper star. Dh made it with the kids. At the time we had 6 children. The star has 5 points. He got a piece of cardboard to make the star outline. Glued that to a papertowel roll so that goes over the tallest branch point to stand up. Then he made a diamond shape of 5 different colors for each point. He then cut a decent size circle of white paper and gave one to each child to draw a picture of what Christmas meant to them and glued that onto each point. For the littlest one at the time, he just outlined her baby hand and put that in the middle of the star. It's really quite sweet. We have 7 dc now though and no8 due in March...so he said next Christmas he'll do a redesign...plus it's fun to see how everyone's drawing ability progresses. He did this before when we had 4 too, we saved that one!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Angel. My son really wants a star but I'm not budging right now.   

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

MaryMary wrote:
A star. My husband doesn't like frilly, overly feminine representations of angels. I looked for a more, err... gender-neutral-leaning-more-toward-masculine (ala St. Michael) treetop angel for years . No luck.

Same here! What is it with the feminine Christmas angels? It actually really bugs me too that there don't seem to be any alternatives. We actually don't have a big tree yet (we're waiting until we buy a house to accumulate the extra clutter ) but I'm sure we'll have a star for that very reason.

amyable wrote:
MY DH GREW UP WITH THAT STAR!

I was just going to post about the "disco ball" star. That is the reason we have a star on our tree (although not as COOL as the disco ball star), even though I grew up with an angel (and miss it).

Too funny--my parents received one of these as a gift a few years ago. I think they conveniently "lost" it. Growing up, my mom had one of those "country angels" on top (she was going through her country-decor phase), but she has since switched it out for a lovely star.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Angel, but I prefer the big copper colored stars you see at antique malls...I would so love to "lose" all my ornaments that I picked out 10 years ago, gag. What was I thinking!
Back to Top View Maddie's Profile Search for other posts by Maddie

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Martha

A cat.
She knocks off our angel and lays on the branches right below until the wires bend under her weight and she falls out.
The angel was relocated to the mantle.
Every night we hear either crinkled stepped on packages and the tinkling of ornaments as she climbs up or the scratching of the balcony rails as she climbs that to jump off it onto the tree below.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Martha wrote:
A cat.

you know what's funny? i was actually going to say, "star, angel, cat, something else?" but didn't know if anyone else would understand my funny.

our cats ***love*** the tree too.

and your post reminded me of this LOLcat:

LOLcat
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

We have an angel, but we put our tree in front of the window and have a star hanging there, so we sort of have both.

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Angel...

And I don't think the angels are supposed to be feminine perse, but rather, beautiful...however, in our modern times, nothing says feminine faster than a dress and wings!

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Lara Sauer wrote:
And I don't think the angels are supposed to be feminine perse, but rather, beautiful...however, in our modern times, nothing says feminine faster than a dress and wings!

Oh, I don't know about that--most of the time the angels' robes are tied to reveal a feminine figure, if you know what I mean!

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

We have an angel. I brought it the first year we were married - it is made of hmmmm, not sure - straw, raffia, that type of thing. Looks almost like a corn cob doll, with no facial features and a simple style to it, with wings of string covered wire. It isn't frilly and flouncy - it looked great with our natural/country/scandanavian style of tree.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Angel.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

mathmama wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:
at Bronner's in Frankenmuth, MI

I hope you got the requisite chicken dinner at Zehnder's while in Frankenmuth   

We were there on Saturday! Shopped at Bronners (for MI folk, look in your circulars in early fall, as I found a coupon then for 15% off total purchase that was good until 12/31!,) ate at Zehnder's, and left just in time for the bumper car rally on 75, 23, and 96! Between cars in ditches and crashes, we counted over 15 incidents! And more than doubled our drive time home! How many "Hail Mary's" can a person say in 3 hours, non-stop?

Oh, and our tree...had a star, which broke when one ds tipped it a few years back. By the time I got to the store, all toppers, except one angel, were sold out, so we now have an angel!

The little boys have set up a tree, though, and they found a star for $2 at the local hardware. They said I couldn't forget them!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Angel,

Its one of those overly frilly feminine ones everyone was complaining about.   

We don't really like it but was a gift my grandmother gave us our first Christmas and its so "A gift Abuela would give" that we have to use it year after year. She really is a tacky lady but loves her grandchildren.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Mimip wrote:
We don't really like it but was a gift my grandmother gave us our first Christmas and its so "A gift Abuela would give" that we have to use it year after year. She really is a tacky lady but loves her grandchildren.

I have one of those grandmothers too!

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 24 2009 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

We have a star made of frosted glass (looks like mother of pearl) with gold filagree around the edges. It looks quite delicate, but is very sturdy. We have had other tree toppers in the past, but this is the one we have used for several years now.

We have always had cats, but none of ours have ever climbed the tree. I had never seen that picture and I just loved it!

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 24 2009 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

We either have an Ostheimer angel or a straw star and real candles!

drmommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 24 2009 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote drmommy

We have a big feminine angel that has a gold dress, gold wings that flap slowly back and forth, and very glitzy. It was one of those great after Christmas sale items at this upscale store (that we cannot afford to buy in BEFORE Christmas!). It was hubby's choice too!

I have slowly thrown out all the ca-ca ornaments from years past, or ones I bought just because of the clearance tag. Trying to get simplified and pared down here, and what a better time than at Christmas (starting with the crazy ornaments)!
Back to Top View drmommy's Profile Search for other posts by drmommy

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 26 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

I didn't decorate untill Xmas Eve and forgot to say that we actually have both! Along with the homemade red velvet star that ties to the tree, we have a cherub/style flying angel with gold wings that is naked and holding a garland of fruit/flowers. There is a string that attatches to his back and a hook on the cieling holds him over the tree. I recieved him from a neighbor that was decluttering her house and didn't know what I was going to do with it untill I saw the hook above the tree that was for our hanging lamp over the computer. So there he hangs above the tree to welcome all who come to adore The Babe .

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Had a star growing up. Since I got married we've always had an angel. I think we've been thru 3 angels because they've always been cheaply made. Really wish we had an heriloom tree topper...but at least I know what to get my children for their first Chrsitmas when married.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version