Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Nom-de- Plume? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Theresa, I know some Italian and immediately knew what your name meant. I think it's great!

(Of course, names are a personal thing...take it from someone who was named for a Frank Sinatra song... )

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 3:03am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

I wanted to do something cool and clever with my nom-de-plume when I signed up, but just couldn't think of anything . My blog title came from the fact that raising children is work in progress, so I placed JMJ after my nom, because I need all the help I can get .

And thanks for the encouragement to getting a pic of me to work on the forum .

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

insegnante wrote:
Are you familiar with the Italian language, Stef? I thought there was a similar Spanish word, maybe beginning with an e, but I can't find it...

Hm, the only one I know is "profesora" -- unless you're thinking of something that goes with "educacion".... maybe educadora? not sure that's Spanish, though. Maybe one of the other more knowledgeable moms can help.

I'm not proficient in Italian or Spanish, but have a working knowledge of both, and our Filipino language is full of Spanish words, so I find it easy to learn other languages.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

insegnante wrote:
Are you familiar with the Italian language, Stef? I thought there was a similar Spanish word, maybe beginning with an e, but I can't find it...

Ensenare means "to teach," but I don't know of a noun form to go with it for "teacher."

Love all the pictures, ladies!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

insegnante wrote:

The word in Spanish would be Enseñante. Enseñar is to teach.Enseñante is someone who teaches. It is not a commonly used word but it does exist. I think Insegnante has a "je ne sais quoi", maybe caché? I like it

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Natalia -
I love the accent marks in your Spanish and French words! How do you do that?

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

drmommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote drmommy

Sorry Lara, I don't know how to link from your link and quote, but your beautiful name comes from that movie Dr. Zhivago and the music (Lara's Theme)...not sure if your Mom named you after that, but that is a beautiful name. Of course, I just LOVE that movie..
Back to Top View drmommy's Profile Search for other posts by drmommy

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

hylabrook1 wrote:
Natalia -
I love the accent marks in your Spanish and French words! How do you do that?

Peace,
Nancy

Nancy,

On my Mac for the ñ, you hit the option key, then the n twice. For the accents you hit option key, then the "e" and then the vowel you want to put the accent on. I don't know if the same procedure works for non-Mac computers.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote doris

4 lads mom wrote:
Gosh, you all have great hair!!!!! Stef, Laura, Mimi, and Elizabeth....and you all look so young!!!!

Thank you! You've made my day!!

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

I picked my name years ago it pretty much defines me a wife and a mommy. That is all I wanted to be...other then a nurse, a teacher, midwife and work search and rescue with the Coast Guard Annie
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

teamommy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote teamommy

I am teamommy because I drink a lot of mugs of strong tea throughout the day! I am always carrying around a mug of the stuff.

I do speak Italian, and according to my dictionary, the only words for teacher are insegnante and maestro. We used l'insegnante for our female teachers, and maestro for the male teachers. I like your user name!
Back to Top View teamommy's Profile Search for other posts by teamommy

lambchopwife
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote lambchopwife

Oh this is so much fun! Ok lambchopwife, I met my hubby when I was only 17 he was 20 I couldn't help myself ladies he's a Marine what can I say! Anyway he was a very innocent looking Marine and he had a simplicity about him so I started calling him lambchop.(like the puppet lambchop) The name has stuck for 17 years so I called myself lambchopwife. It really should be lambchopswife, but well I forgot to type the s! So that's where my name came from and I use it everywhere from my blog address to other groups. So if you see me somewhere else just say "hi".

Cheryl

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

This is so much fun! I love reading everyone's stories, even you "boring" ladies!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version