Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Nom-de- Plume? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

I lOVE this thread...and I see so many updated pictures, how cool!!

Mine is 4 lads mom, because, put your thinking caps on....I have four sons. Both my husband and I have a lot of Irish in us....with two boys with red hair, too!! I love to go to St. Patrick’s Day Parades, we so fit it. But, then I had Miss Lily, after having my last lad six years previously, I had a bit of an existential moment on the board....what to do??? I was no longer just 4 lads mom, in a big way!!! I kept the name, but put in my signature, “mom to 4 brave lads, and one sweet lassie.” That pretty much tells it. Although, I should add, “one sweet and SASSY lassie!!”

I am contemplating putting my picture on the avatar thingy...that is so cool!

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Lara Sauer is my long time "nom de plume."

When my friends and I were small, we used to like to reverse our last initial with our first initial and see what our name ended up like.

I always felt bad for my friends who had the same first and last initial, as their name never changed. So my childhood friend Lisa Look...remained Lisa Look...alas! Poor dear!

In keeping with the theme, were I to update it to my married name, I would be Bara Leatty...seems to lose the poetry a bit, don't you think!

Fun thread!

drmommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote drmommy

This is such a fun thread!

Mine is boring and uncreative.

Drmommy: I am a chiropractor (practicing), and a mommy. Love being a mommy much more, even though I love my patients.

I sometimes use Porkchop...our English Bulldog that passed away, but that is always taken by someone else! The ladies in my homeschooling group call me Mrs Darcy, because my husband is English, handsome, and we adore Jane Austin (in this house, girls rule!). Funny quick story...my son was in public school English class and the teacher was going to have a baby. The teacher said the name was going to be Elizabeth..my son said, "and your other names will be Mary, Jane and Mr. Darcy!" I was cracking up. For a 17 year old to whine about Jane Austin when we have the DVD going, but sure seems to know what is going on, is quite funny to me. He also says he will not marry anyone who likes Phantom of the Opera (see? girls rule this roost!)

Love the beautiful avatar pictures...what a pretty group of mommies!!

Mrs Darcy...I mean Bridget.

Back to Top View drmommy's Profile Search for other posts by drmommy

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Welcome doctor mommy! I saw your username and was wondering what it meant. I am a doctor mom too, but currently my only patients are my children and my in-laws.   Love your Jane Austin story.

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

Mattie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Mattie

Well, not much imagination here...
My real name is Mathilde (pronounce matild), I was born and raised in France. When I came to the US for college, after a few days on campus, I decided to go with Mat to avoid the horrible mispronounciation (role call was always a nightmare )
But my roommate junior year decided that it was not feminine enough and turned it into Mattie.
So now I have a great way to date my friends! Anyone who calls me Mathilde I have known since I moved here ( and yes there are still a few), anyone I met before Junior year calls me Mat and anyone from junior year to now calls me Mattie!
Except for my bil and sil who have for some reason always called me Mathilde and I think it's hilarious because some of them still don't know how to pronounce it!

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

Love this thread:-)

Mine is a play on my name. I've been Fe (short for Fiona) since I was about 11 and a (very good friend!) couldn't spell, so she wrote it with an e. It helped distinguish me from the many other 'Fi's.

I used it as my user name a lot, but then ran into places that wouldn't let me have a 2 letter user name, so I added 2 h2o. My last name is the plural form of that very common drink, so 2 lots is obviously the plural (I hope that makes sense?!)

Of course, I used to teach wood work and metal work—so, the fact I was Fe (iron) is even more appropriate:-)

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

insegnante wrote:
I even posted recently inquiring about whether I might be one of the few who changes her username with the help of a moderator, because I have disliked my choice for a long time.

Are you kidding? I've LOVED LOVED LOVED your name since I first saw it. In fact I thought -- now, why couldn't I have been clever and thought up a name like that?

Are you still wanting to change it?

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Fe2h2o wrote:
Love this thread:-)

Mine is a play on my name. I've been Fe (short for Fiona) since I was about 11 and a (very good friend!) couldn't spell, so she wrote it with an e. It helped distinguish me from the many other 'Fi's.

I used it as my user name a lot, but then ran into places that wouldn't let me have a 2 letter user name, so I added 2 h2o. My last name is the plural form of that very common drink, so 2 lots is obviously the plural (I hope that makes sense?!)

Of course, I used to teach wood work and metal work—so, the fact I was Fe (iron) is even more appropriate:-)

Do you say it as "Fi" with a short "i" or long "i"? I ask because all the Fe's I know have that as their first name -- not a nickname. And it's pronounced Feh, Spanish for "Faith" (which I think is beautiful). So I thought that was your name too. Although, I must admit, everytime I see your username I think -- iron & water

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

insegnante wrote:
So you're a Lora Laura, not a Lahra Laura, huh?

well, technically i think my Mom originally planned on it being more Lahra, but i was born and raised in NJ, and so of course it was always pronounced Lora.    
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

stefoodie wrote:
   Although, I must admit, everytime I see your username I think -- iron & water

Yeah, me too, iron and water!

Oh and Stef, nice picture!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Well, Elizabeth was already chosen so I randomly picked the name of my grandmother, Doris.

I really regret it esp when people call me Doris! Still, it could have been worse... The other grandmother was called Queenie!

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

cactus mouse wrote:
insegnante wrote:
So you're a Lora Laura, not a Lahra Laura, huh?

well, technically i think my Mom originally planned on it being more Lahra, but i was born and raised in NJ, and so of course it was always pronounced Lora.    

I had a friend growing up (in NJ ) whose mom named her "Lara" - and she had to talk until she was blue in the face telling people to pronounce it "Lahra" - we all wanted to call her "Lora" - some of us more like "Law-ra". Poor thing.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Gosh, you all have great hair!!!!! Stef, Laura, Mimi, and Elizabeth....and you all look so young!!!! I have so much gray in mine and it is pretty curly and I “iron” it about every day (my kids all say it looks WAY better that way!) But I have always wanted long, thick hair, and then I see you all have it!!!! I might take too much time taking a picture, if I do this....

ETA---I was only looking at THIS page, I’m sure there are many others with lovely long hair

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

stefoodie wrote:

Do you say it as "Fi" with a short "i" or long "i"? I ask because all the Fe's I know have that as their first name -- not a nickname. And it's pronounced Feh, Spanish for "Faith" (which I think is beautiful). So I thought that was your name too. Although, I must admit, everytime I see your username I think -- iron & water

Not much Spanish influence around here:-) It's a long 'i'—like the start of my name (or Fee... another friend I'm verbally confused with:-) )

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Is it my imagination, or is there an explosion of pictures? I LOVE SEEING you beautiful women!

Okay, that aside: mine is really obvious and really boring. Which is funny because I usually tend toward the "symbolic" or complicated! It's so precise for me! WHO knows why I signed up that way long ago....but I did, and it's too late---ha ha. Seriously, I intuitively knew that I can be "myself" with you guys on a deep sub-conscious level!   

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

4 lads mom wrote:
Gosh, you all have great hair!!!!! Stef, Laura, Mimi, and Elizabeth....and you all look so young!!!! I have so much gray in mine and it is pretty curly and I “iron” it about every day (my kids all say it looks WAY better that way!) But I have always wanted long, thick hair, and then I see you all have it!!!! I might take too much time taking a picture, if I do this....

ETA---I was only looking at THIS page, I’m sure there are many others with lovely long hair

4 lads,

You have no idea, how much gray I have in my hair!!!!!! My mother does a great job dying it, doesn't she?    Oh and I iron mine every morning after I wash it! I have this crazy mix of wavy and straight so the picture, its a "good iron, good dye job day"

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

What fun to read all about you all . We have a very wonderful and clever group.

All I can say is that I am a star junkie. I love stars. Who knows why? They just make me happy. And I live by the beach... but really SeaStar was meant to honor the Blessed Mother, who is the my favorite star of all.

Our Lady, Star of the Sea, pray for you and pray for me!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I haven't been on the board for a couple of days and when I come to check things here, i find a lot of new pictures. Some day I have to make time to update mine.

Regarding my user name, well it is just my first name. I didn't think about using something else. It seems there are not very many Natalias around the homeschooling circle since I have never had a problem with my name being taken.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

stefoodie wrote:
insegnante wrote:
I even posted recently inquiring about whether I might be one of the few who changes her username with the help of a moderator, because I have disliked my choice for a long time.

Are you kidding? I've LOVED LOVED LOVED your name since I first saw it. In fact I thought -- now, why couldn't I have been clever and thought up a name like that?

Are you still wanting to change it?

I dunno -- I just think it looks so clunky if you have no idea what it means or how to pronounce Italian, what with the g and all. And maybe "l'insegnante" would have been more authentic as an Italian username? I think of myself more as a homeschooling mother than a teacher, anyway.

Are you familiar with the Italian language, Stef? I thought there was a similar Spanish word, maybe beginning with an e, but I can't find it...

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

amyable wrote:

I had a friend growing up (in NJ ) whose mom named her "Lara" - and she had to talk until she was blue in the face telling people to pronounce it "Lahra" - we all wanted to call her "Lora" - some of us more like "Law-ra". Poor thing.

I knew a Lara here in the DC area, and I perceived that everyone was pronouncing her name the same as Laura, which they were, except they were saying "Lahra," not "Lora," which I called her, despite not being sure how the A made that sound. At least I didn't say the "or" in such an emphatic way as to sound like that stereotypical "cawfee" "aw" (guessing that's what you mean by Law-ra.)

The funny thing is that as a recent New Yorker I would have pronounced her name with a really short A" sound, like in cat, if I hadn't heard anyone else saying it first. But people from this area just don't often seem to make that type of A sound before the letter R.

OK, I'll stop boring you all now. But linguistics and regional accents are so interesting (to me...)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version