Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Can You Believe This Snow? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

We have about two feet already! The kids are getting their snow clothes on right now to go measure how high it is on them! I am staying inside baking birthday cake for my baby boy who is two today!

Court had to abandon his truck up our street last night because another neighbor's truck was stuck blocking the road. The kids had to help him bring the groceries down the driveway.

We are happy now that we are all hunkered down. Just say a quick prayer that my silly teenage son doesn't try to leave the friend's house where he stayed yesterday. Also, that my dad doesn't try to shovel his driveway! He is so stubborn!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

jenk
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote jenk

There are some green-eyed monsters here in FL!! We saw Fredericksburg and DC on CNN this morning- several years ago we were living in FB. We got to stay for almost a year... hoping it was a permanent move... but we had no snow that year.

We are all wishing to be up there now.
My mom is in rural Gloucester but we couldn't get her on the phone this morning- phone lines and electricity tend to go out for them on days like this.

Hope everyone in the storm's path is staying warm and safe!!!

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Kids have been out already...totally burying themselves. I live near JennGM.

Right now all are watching Tinkerbell (4yodd won who chose the movie), oldest dd is making cookies and getting ready to frost oldest ds's bday cake (now I have 2 teenagers today!). The boys were slightly bummed the snow messed up opening day for basketball games, but I think this snow total is easing their pain

I've already cleaned out 5 bookshelves! Now onto the games and puzzles!

Oh and if you wouldn't mind saying a small prayer for dh who needs to go up to Baltimore on Tuesday...we are praying he'll be able to get up there! Our street hasn't seen a plow yet...

Love the pix Mary!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Pictures of our snow day here.
it just keeps coming down. Chris V and/or Mary Ellen --what's it like on LI??

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

You should be okay for driving by Tuesday, Kacky - Baltimore's high is supposed to be 38 on that day.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Actually, I grew up in Tennessee and remember how much fun snow used to be. Especially when you can count on it to melt before, say, May. In February 2007 we got 30 inches of snow in 24 hours and my kids were completely amazed. Then the winds kicked up and we suddenly had drifts up past the tops of the windows on one side of the house, and we were even more amazed. Then the snow didn't melt until April and right after it started to melt we got another 10 inch snowstorm. By that time, the snow wasn't so much fun anymore.

I kind of miss the days when I used to pray for a blizzard!

(Also, I'm finding it kind of strange that we're only supposed to get a little snow from this thing... usually we're right in the path of all the noreasters! But yesterday they weren't predicting any snow at all, so we'll see. If it would just warm up a little, that would be nice...)

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

We just made our first ever batch of snow ice cream:

Take a big bowl of fresh snow. Then add a splash of vanilla, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, and a glub of heavy cream. Mix it all together and enjoy.

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Our 24" statues of Our Blessed Mother and Saint Francis are now buried! We are officially snowed in with no snow plows in sight. Everywhere is just beautiful with this ethereal light from the confectioner's sugar snow as it gets dark. We have candles lit, goodies baking, stories being read and games to play. I feel a little like Little House on the Prairie...

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

RamFam wrote:
We just made our first ever batch of snow ice cream:

Take a big bowl of fresh snow. Then add a splash of vanilla, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, and a glub of heavy cream. Mix it all together and enjoy.

That sounds yummy! We made a dairy free version (so I guess it was more like "Snow Sorbet" ) - take a big bowl of snow, and mix in about 1/3 box of jello powder. That's it!    

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

MarilynW wrote:
I feel a little like Little House on the Prairie...

I was just talking to dh about trying the maple sugar candy that they make when snowed in with her grandparents. Has anyone tried this?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I have, and I don't think we did it right because it didn't harden.

Here's a recipe from Family Fun magazine.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

My kids are soooo jealous of the snow. I spent all day convincing them that your kids are jealous of them when they get to spend all spring at the beach!!!!!

They spent all day drooling at the thought of playing in the snow!

Hope you all are staying warm:)

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote molly

Mimip wrote:
. I spent all day convincing them that your kids are jealous of them when they get to spend all spring at the beach!!!!!

well that is true:)   brrrrrr
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Our cars are totally covered in snow. My guess is that we're at about 20 inches, maybe more. It's still falling. I have no idea how we'll dig out the block...it's amazing in a jaw-dropping way. This happens at places like Mammoth Mountain, Calif. - not here!

Off to bed soon...much digging tomorrow...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version