Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Can You Believe This Snow? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 18 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

By the way, no snow yet on Long Island!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Nor here in Lancaster, PA! If you look at the radar we are covered but nothing is coming down. Oh dear, I do hope we get something --my kids will be so disappointed!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote amyable

I remember that big storm in 2003 - I was 9+ months pregnant and we had a baby a day after the snow ended! Dh shoveled snow every few hours during that blizzard just in case we had to get out fast (I tend to have fast labors). Yes, shoveling during a blizzard is a lot like cleaning up after 5 children all day.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Angel

We were in MD for the blizzard of 1996. That was, um, interesting. Now we're in Joann's neck of the woods and 3 feet of snow doesn't seem that exciting anymore.

Hope your kids are all able to get out and enjoy it!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

My kids wish it was snowing here.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

amyable wrote:
I remember that big storm in 2003 - I was 9+ months pregnant and we had a baby a day after the snow ended! Dh shoveled snow every few hours during that blizzard just in case we had to get out fast (I tend to have fast labors). Yes, shoveling during a blizzard is a lot like cleaning up after 5 children all day.

We were almost stranded in DC for that one! But we headed out early in the morning and spent 6 hours driving the usually 2.5 hour drive home!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Woke up to almost a foot, almost a foot more to go. I know this is old hat to you to you, Joann and Angel, but this is very rare for me!

I love thinking back to big storms -- where were you when...? In 1996 my friend tried to have an Epiphany party. I decided to stay at her house to be snowed in. We had lots of good food, at least.

2003 storm is one dh and I remember fondly. We had been hoping for a baby for so long, and we had just found out we were finally expecting with #1. The morning sickness had just kicked in. Since the fed govt. closed, it was just a time to be together and share that joy. Ah, memories!

I think that's the key ingredient to big storms in this area. They do cripple the area, and it's a time to stay at home and enjoy. I always feel snow is God's way of saying "Slow Down". I would totally resent the big snows and going to school the same day!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote RamFam

I hear rumors that grocery stores can be out of food for a week. Is this true?

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We have eight inches so far. We also have an injured junco (bird) that flew into our sliding glass door. We tried to help it move to shelter and it flapped its way into our house! (We have cats. Hungry ones.) We found a box and piece of cardboard and sheltered the bird from Certain Cat Doom, then slid it out onto our front porch. I hope the little bird makes it...we love juncoes!

My M-I-L has already called to see if we are snowed in. Our street doesn't get plowed, so we'll have to see how much more falls. I'm sure glad we have nowhere to go! (Museum closed, so we have new hours to see the Terra Cotta Warriors, whew.)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Chris, is it snowing in LI yet?

I'm so glad you can still see the Terra Cotta Warriors. Do share how it was...I've been curious.

Leah, I don't know. It's not like the rest of the country was iced in...that's the only times we've had problems getting deliveries to stores. I think we'll be fine in a few days.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Well we finally have it here --maybe 6 or 7 inches so far. It didn't start until after 1AM. The trouble is the temp is only 15 (with a windchill of 6) so it's not really playable. I am hoping it warms up.

I well remember both 2003 and '96. '96 was incredible! I was pregnant with my first daughter. The snow drifts were over 8 feet! My husband and the neighbor had to dig out paths just so we could cross the road (and visit one another). We couldn't go anywhere and it took the city a WEEK to clear the streets and in the end a frontloader from Kunzler came and cleared our street (taking off mirrors on cars in the process --it was a narrowish street). My husband's work couldn't understand why he couldn't get there since the rest of the county plowed the roads so he had to walk out to the edge of town so my parents could pick him up to stay at their place while he went to work! Needless to say the mayor we had them did not get re-elected.

It was fun though. We had to hike to the grocery store and when we got there all the bread, milk and eggs were gone (what do these people make in snow storms anyway, french toast?) but we managed just fine.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That's so cold, Michele!

We've been upped to a blizzard warning in our area, and that's not too fun to play in blowing snow.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Tami wrote:
It sounds a lot like the big storm in Feb. '03. Nancy, were you in W VA then? That storm shut everything down for a week!

This was mentioned, and I don't even remember it at all! I had 1 1/2 yo twins and a newborn...I think the world could probably have ended and I wouldn't have noticed ! I just can't believe I somehow missed it...I always remember big snows... Must have been too tired to look out the window

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My three year old walked up to me in his wellies and a zip-up hooded sweatshirt and announced that the back door was locked. Um, sweetie, you'll need a few more layers! My husband the Michigander bundled them up, and they are all about to start the shoveling. Dh says its easier to start now even if you have to do it more than once!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

He's right, Lindsay!

Junco update: the little guy seems to be recovering. He's been sheltering on the porch (we have a temporary woodpile there) and flying into our bushes when startled.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Our front yard is a big hill - my children are having a lovely time sledding and building forts. I am happy to stay inside and do my Christmas house clean.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Michiel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Michiel

I love snow and I love waking up to snow. It's like magic. I've lived in WV for nine years, growing up in OK where there's more freezing rain than snow and no hills, and I just love the snow. We have hills and sled, and all the right snow clothes (but new ones that fit will be opened on Christmas). I love seeing the snow stick on every little twig, and I love watching the birds at the feeders. I love the excuse not to run errands.

Michiel
mom to ds 11 and ds 8
Back to Top View Michiel's Profile Search for other posts by Michiel

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Tami

Ok, after checking in with dh this morning about job stuff, my first thoughts were you all and the snow!!

Sounds like things are getting exciting out there!

I like remembering snow storms too. Nancy, you missed a good one! Jenn, what a beautiful memory for you! And Amy, I couldn't imagine being that close to delivery during such a big snow - dh would have been a nervous wreck! And I'll bet around September next year there will be a rush of deliveries from this storm.   

I do remember the '96 storm (although it took me a while, I'm just finishing my first cup of tea, haven't started the coffee yet). We never had snow plows on our street, and all the neighbors dug out the cars to the main road. We had a minivan with front-wheel drive, and were the only ones who could get off the street, so dh did grocery runs for whoever needed it for several days.

Michele, you may get more snow if your temps come up a little bit. When it's colder, there's less moisture in the air. I'm just starting to get the hang of all this!

Like Joann and Angel, we get a lot of snow here, but I am grateful that it doesn't paralyze daily life. And it's so beautiful when it snows! ~~Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!~~   

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I definitely remember the snows of 1987! As I walked into the hospital on a 70 degree day to deliver my mid-March daughter, there were piles of snow as high as the lights on the parking lot. Then, there was the blizzard of 1979 -- people were actually able to walk all the way across the Chesapeake Bay, it was that solidly frozen.
As for this one - it started snowing around 10; we had to go pick up a child at 11, and passed a salt truck, huge and heavy with a snow plow blade, turned over on its side/top along the side of the road. I'm talking one of those massive State Highway Administration vehicles! We're just staying put for the next couple of days!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Well, it's still snowing here .... Catie's flight was canceled and altho she's reaccomodated tomorrow ... we don't think we'll get out to get her! Wow ...

Here are some pix for those interested ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version