Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: christmas cookies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

I made Mexican orange spice cookies for the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and froze half. They're cutouts, so I made them all stars of different sizes. Right now, my 19yodd is baking: oatmeal cookies, peanut butter blossoms, sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies. She doesn't want helpers, so I'll bake with the younger crew another day.
God bless,
Mary
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

I make these for Easter, but they will work for Christmas too,I ice them with royal icing, like for gingerbread houses. And they don't need refrigeration always a plus in my book!

Honey-Lemon Sculpture Cookies
In a large bowl combine 5 1/2c flour and 3teasp baking soda; set aside. In another large bowl, combine 1 3/4c sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4c honey, 2tsp vanilla, and 3tsp grated lemon/orange peel. Melt 1c butter and boil 1/2c water. Add butter and water to sugar mixture and stir untill disolved. Gradually stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough.
Use dough immediately or tightly wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days.

To shape dough, either roll out onto a floured board and cut with a knife or cookie cutter, or use your hands to make 1/4 inch even ropes and shape letters and numbers and use to applique onto other cookies to add definition, or roll out onto a greased, unrimmed cookie sheet to cut big cookies, or ... Just don't build cookies thicker than 3/4 inch.
Place on greased cookie sheet one inch apart and bake at 300* for 20-30 minuts or untill golden at edges ( less time for 1/8-1/4 inch plain rolled cutouts). Let cool on baking sheet for at least 10 minutes; then transfer to racks to cool completely.

Happy baking!
Gloria

MNMommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote MNMommy

MaryG wrote:

Candy Cane Crisps – preheat oven to 325
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup coarsely crushed peppermint candy canes – about 6 big canes
Preheat oven to 325 F. In large bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar until creamy; beat in vanilla. In another bowl, stir together flour, oats and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, blending thoroughly. Add all crushed peppermint candies; mix until well combined. Drop by spoonful onto greased cookie sheet; chill for about 20 minutes (in freezer). Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.

We are going to try these. May I ask why the powdered sugar is divided in the ingredient list? Do you dust them after taking them out of the oven?

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 3:18am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

MNMommy wrote:
MaryG wrote:

Candy Cane Crisps – preheat oven to 325
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup coarsely crushed peppermint candy canes – about 6 big canes
Preheat oven to 325 F. In large bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar until creamy; beat in vanilla. In another bowl, stir together flour, oats and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, blending thoroughly. Add all crushed peppermint candies; mix until well combined. Drop by spoonful onto greased cookie sheet; chill for about 20 minutes (in freezer). Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.

We are going to try these. May I ask why the powdered sugar is divided in the ingredient list? Do you dust them after taking them out of the oven?

I just found this recipe in one of my cookbooks and it used 1c sugar fot the batter and 1/4c to roll the cookies in before baking. It also reserved 1/2c of the crushed canes for sprinkling onto the flattened cookies before baking. I just made a batch and because I wasn't paying attention, I put the canes meant for sprinkling, into the sugar for rolling .They turned out great anyway .

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version