Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: help me verify a grocery budget theory Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SharonO
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote SharonO

KackyK wrote:
Melissa! Under $400!!! Okay I'm such a failure!!!   

I thought the same thing about myself. I live in Kansas City and I guess I thought our prices were reasonable, but I spend twice that amount for a family of 6. I know a lot of our expense goes into our lunches. My kids like something more than a sandwich for lunch (and honestly, but the time my 16 year old eats 3, it is not that cheap either). I get our grocery store ads on Wednesday and usually try to shop on Friday afternoons. I use e-mealz to help plan my menu but will look at the ads and stock up on whatever meat is on sale that week, so when I shop for the menu, I shop my freezer first.

This is one of the areas I really would like to work on in 2010. Oh the things we could pay off with an extra $200/month.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Maybe I am more rural than I thought...or at least we don't have as much as close. I thought 6 miles wasn't too bad Nancy.

The closest thing we have is a Bloom a little over 3 miles away. But that is so small, not that inexpensive. I never shop there. Then there is a Giant that is about 4 miles away. Wegmans is at least 5 miles away, shopping the Wegmans brand has proved helpful.

The Costco is practically across the street from the ALDI, so I am thinking this is when I can swing a trip there when I do the Costco run.

I like your statement Sharon...shop my freezer first (I don't know how to do the quote thing!). Only...I need a freezer! That's a goal for 2010!

And you are SO right...just a couple hundred off per month would be incredible...dh gave me the "we have another set of braces and we'll need a new van (one is at and the other is over 100K miles!) coming up in the next year or two, we need to save more" talk...AGH!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Angel

KackyK wrote:
And then I tallied my eggs. I buy from a farm, $2.05 per dozen I buy 10doz a month...so there is $20.

Your eggs aren't bad, Kacky. Farm-fresh eggs can sell for nearly $4/dozen here where I am in upstate NY, and the "organic" eggs at Wal-Mart sell for *over* $4/dozen. My chickens aren't laying very well right now, and it is tough. There's no way I can go back to regular old factory eggs, so we're just biting the bullet and eating fewer eggs until the light starts to return.   

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Yes I have heard that we have a good price. I have a friend to whom they are delivered to!

I went to Aldi and it is different in there! From the no brand names at all, which was fine actually, to the giving a deposit to use a cart, to buying grocery bags (which I didn't do because I have my own reusables, but something to remember!) and then they didn't do charge, just cash or debit. But it was good. I got some things I didn't necessarily need need right now, like a box of granola bars, but wanted to check out if the kids will like them. I am anxious to try the frozen juice, only 82cents a can...very exciting.

Melissa...you'll have to explain how you end up with diapers free from CVS...I'm realizing I'm not sure how you do that one????

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

You mention frozen juice. I haven't priced this out, but I'm betting its cheaper.

We almost never have juice in the house. We get OJ at Christmas and cut it in half with sparkling water. The rest of the year we keep real cranberry juice, pomegranate juice, and Acai/Blueberr juice (Costco) on hand. A very small splash of this in a big glass of water tastes great. Those juices are so strong that it doesn't taste (to me) like watered down juice. Lemon and lime work well this way, too. It's even more cost-effective to make up a big pitcher of it at once. Experiment with how little juice you can put in a pitcher of water.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version