Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Christmas ideas for Dear Husbands Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I know what you mean, Lindsay. Dh and I are really not big gift givers to each other and when I was reviewing our bank account I saw a charge on there that I couldn't figure out. When I asked dh about it it became clear that it was my Christmas gift. So now I would really like to get him something thoughtful--even though he probably wont' care. And all I can think of is new t-shirts . . .

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SusanJ wrote:
I know what you mean, Lindsay. Dh and I are really not big gift givers to each other and when I was reviewing our bank account I saw a charge on there that I couldn't figure out. When I asked dh about it it became clear that it was my Christmas gift. So now I would really like to get him something thoughtful--even though he probably wont' care. And all I can think of is new t-shirts . . .

I'm starting to think that these so-called "not big gift givers" (myself included as one) are just like everyone else, it's just all in the semantics. I think, in the end, we are the real chumps because we won't plan in advance to get a gift but find ourselves stressed at the last minute unwilling to settle for anything but the perfect, most thoughtful gift.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

CrunchyMom wrote:
SusanJ wrote:

I'm starting to think that these so-called "not big gift givers" (myself included as one) are just like everyone else, it's just all in the semantics. I think, in the end, we are the real chumps because we won't plan in advance to get a gift but find ourselves stressed at the last minute unwilling to settle for anything but the perfect, most thoughtful gift.

Absolutely. Dh and I have been going back and forth over e-mail about gifts for the kids. And now I have to shop for him! And it's Advent!

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

So, something dh enjoys is the morning ritual of making coffee. I think we would enjoy having a burr coffee grinder and found one on Amazon at a decent price. I was thinking it might be fun to put together a "morning ritual" basket to go with it.

I'm already (hopefully) making pajama pants for him and the boys. I thought I might also make him some wool slippers from a felted sweater? Idk, maybe I'll buy him some nice slippers, though, they can be pretty pricey.

He likes soaps, but his most recent shave soap I bought him (for father's day) is too harsh. He has pretty sensitive skin. So, maybe I can find a hypo--allergenic shave soap.

(which, for anyone else, a shave mug, brush, and soap was a great gift for dh a couple of years ago. he loves it!)

Any other ideas for what to include in that theme?

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Since our two responsible college age kids are going to be home.....DH and I are going to go away overnight (locally - downtown San Antonio or this little romantic town in the Texas Hill country) - you need to do that every 20 years or so! We have talked about this for years!

Other years I usually go for the books or a tool. Some favorite beer. Nothing too imaginative here. Last year we drew names - I had to pick for the non-readers and the college kids. I lost all the little pieces of paper and got all mixed up - poor DH ended up getting a cute little apron. He tied it on his head like a surgeon's cap and said he just loved it.

Really the best gift for my husband is if I can create a peaceful and Christ centered environment in our home for Advent and Christmas. No shopping marathons, no running around, no craziness, no Toys R Us at midnight. No excess, no tired and cranky kids, no exhausted Momma.

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I like the morning ritual basket. Are you getting a manual burr grinder? We have one and love it but it does take awhile to grind the beans: our is about 35 revolutions per scoop of beans. So just be prepared for that! Do you have a french press? I really like the low-tech thing there. A special mug? Does he take the coffee to work? I'm probably focusing too much on the coffee thing . . . you can tell where my priorities are.

You probably already get a newspaper, right? I suppose a subscription would add up quick! But maybe that will inspire some other idea.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

It never occurred to me to get a manual one--I was looking at electric! Hmmmm...

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Oh, well, if your dh is into morning ritual this might be just the thing! Very meditative    Apparently there is some military movie where one of the main characters has some Zen-like relationship with his manual coffee grinder. The first time my (Army) dad saw me using it he cracked up.

Anyway--we love ours. It is dh's one and only attempt at buying something off Ebay and he won with one of those last second bids. He's still bragging about it. The only problem with it is that it only makes one kind of grind--or at least our does. But the grind will work fine in a drip pot or french press.

Also I think they are a little less expensive than electric. Ours was very hard to find (hence Ebay) but they seem to have become more common recently. I used to see them at our local health food chain in Minnesota. And a friend who was a Montessori teacher says you can get them in Montessori catalogs because they use them in class.

So--is that enough information for you

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SusanJ wrote:
So--is that enough information for you

No. What brand is yours?

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

No brand. It's an antique from Ebay. I guess the only way I can help you here is to say that it is utterly un-fancy. And it still works great.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom wrote:
So, something dh enjoys is the morning ritual of making coffee. I think we would enjoy having a burr coffee grinder and found one on Amazon at a decent price. I was thinking it might be fun to put together a "morning ritual" basket to go with it.

I'm already (hopefully) making pajama pants for him and the boys. I thought I might also make him some wool slippers from a felted sweater? Idk, maybe I'll buy him some nice slippers, though, they can be pretty pricey.

He likes soaps, but his most recent shave soap I bought him (for father's day) is too harsh. He has pretty sensitive skin. So, maybe I can find a hypo--allergenic shave soap.

(which, for anyone else, a shave mug, brush, and soap was a great gift for dh a couple of years ago. he loves it!)

Any other ideas for what to include in that theme?

The reasonably priced coffee grinder had terrible reviews, so, I went with the exorbitantly priced one

I meant to get a weather clock, too, but it got deleted from my cart somehow, and of course, I really couldn't afford it once I paid for the grinder. It would be a good husband gift idea, though, for someone!

I also got a butter crock and a bacon press. Two things we talk about getting at least once a week when preparing breakfast.

So, phew! Now I just have to do all the homemade projects!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

crusermom wrote:
   Some favorite beer. Nothing too imaginative here.

I think you should give him a Holiday 5-Pack!

It would tickle my dh, anyway.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version