Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Your Best Housecleaning Recipes, Please Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Wow, I'm printing this for reference.

I've done the vinegar and water thing.

Once when I was desperate, nothing in the house, moving out of an apartment and had to clean - I used baking soda paste to get the scum off sinks, etc. It worked, but not quite easy - took a lot of elbow grease too.

I do use baking soda and vinegar a lot for those really hard, baked on things on the bottom of pans you forgot about .

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

kbfsc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote kbfsc

I like using those disinfectant wipes, especially around the potty. Any suggestions for a homemade version?

kbfsc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote kbfsc

Forgot to add this recipe for floor cleaner: equal parts water, rubbing alcohol and white vinegar plus a few drops of dishwashing detergent. I keep this in a big spray bottle and spray it on my tile and laminate floors, mopping up with a sponge mop. Super fast and no rinsing!

I understand that vinegar is a natural disinfectant. Is that right? Is that why it's included in so many homemade cleaners? I'm a no germs kinda girl.

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

kbfsc wrote:
I like using those disinfectant wipes, especially around the potty. Any suggestions for a homemade version?

I'd love to know this one, too!

How about hardwood floor cleaners?

Great post!!!

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

stefoodie wrote:
Laundry Soap

4 ½ ounces of Virginia Soaps & Scents Cleaning Soap
½ cup washing soda
½ cup borax powder

Okay, sorry to sound dense but these numbers came out funny.    What are the measurements?

Thanks!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Just edited it, Lisa. Whoa, I didn't know that if you edited the original post the quoted post also changes! Cool! Although now it doesn't look like your question makes sense. Sorry about that.   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Lisa R wrote:
kbfsc wrote:

I'd love to know this one, too!

I found this in the Duggar's book. It is for homemade baby wipes, but I use those for wiping and disinfecting...

Cut a whole roll of Bounty paper towels into two halves. (They write that Bounty is the only brand that works, and to use an electric knife for best results.)

Place one of the halved rolls vertically in an empty and thoroughly cleaned 1-gallon ice cream bucket. In a large measuring pitcher, mix 2 cups water, 2 tablespoons baby oil, and 1 tablespoon rubbing alcohol. (can also add a tablespoon of baby bubble bath.)

Pour the liquid over the halved roll of paper towels in the ice cream bucket, and soak for thirty minutes. Remove the cardboard center. Feed the top corner of the paper towels through an x-shaped slit cut into the lid of the ice cream bucket so you can pull out and tear off one "wipe" at a time.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version