Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What are you making this year for gifts? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Keeping a rolling topic........

I hope to make brown scapulars for each memeber of my family.

And, my mom LOVES getting the scrapbooked calendar the kids make for her every year.....last year, I made one at snapfish.com for under $20......we are going that route again for her this year.

For my husband........for at least five years, the kids make a scrapbooked photo calendar for him.......by scratch.......that will happen again......it is his favorite gift for having at work.

How about you?

Anything you made last year that was a good idea?

I have one more easy thing to add..........but alas no more time.........will bring it back later.......the tea needs more time to steep!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I am making microwaveable heating pads.... you fill a muslim/cotton square with rice or corn kernels and sew the bag shut. Then you make a pretty cover for it with flannel or cotton. The cover is held closed with velcro and can be taken off and washed. Sometimes I scent the corn/rice with essential oils.

I use deer corn to fill the bags. My kids love to pick all the kernels off, then dh washes them and puts them in the oven to dry. About 2 lbs of corn per pad is a good amount.

Then at night or anytime you are cold, you put one in the microwave for a couple of minutes, and it comes out toasty warm and smells good. We take them to bed at night. Bliss!

Here's a quick tutorial: heating pads

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

I made several sets of dishrags (knitted) for the ladies in my family, and 7.5 pints of green tomato mince meat for my dad. I hope to get a few hats knitted, too.

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

AH, Chari, I just got back from the fabric store, getting supplies to make Lily a Waldorf kind of doll. I am looking over "Kinder Doll", and am hoping I can pull this off. I also hope to knit a few things.....but we'll have to see.

Can't wait to hear what others are doing....

LML22
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote LML22

SeaStar wrote:
I am making microwaveable heating pads.... you fill a muslim/cotton square with rice or corn kernels and sew the bag shut. Then you make a pretty cover for it with flannel or cotton. The cover is held closed with velcro and can be taken off and washed. Sometimes I scent the corn/rice with essential oils.

I use deer corn to fill the bags. My kids love to pick all the kernels off, then dh washes them and puts them in the oven to dry. About 2 lbs of corn per pad is a good amount.

Then at night or anytime you are cold, you put one in the microwave for a couple of minutes, and it comes out toasty warm and smells good. We take them to bed at night. Bliss!

Melinda,

How long do these stay warm? Sounds like my kids would like these at night.
Back to Top View LML22's Profile Search for other posts by LML22

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Chari

What is a scrapbooked calendar?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I start waaaay to late every year and end up staying up all hours the last few days before Christmas! That said, I am doing it again this year!

-pjs for my two youngest boys
-housecoat for my daughter (by the way, I don't even like to sew but I put that hat on once a year for the pjs!!)
-granola for friends
-picture calender for all the grandparents (ala Staples- they make it so easy!)
-and something for my ds14- hopefully a hat (as I love to knit, but it does take time!)

My dd12 has almost completely finished with making gifts for everyone in the family, but she has a large cache of handmade gifts for any occasion!!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

For DD#1 and DD#2 I am making Christmas nightgowns and pillowcases to open on Christmas Eve before bed. For DD#1 I am making a robe and for DD#2 I am making a very simple blanket using Beatrix Potter fabric. I will most likely make them each another pillowcase as well. I am making stuff for the Godparents as well, but will refrain from posting that here I will make a photo calendar for my dad. I have already made my niece and nephew a robe and placemats and napkins for my mom and stepdad.

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

LML22 wrote:
SeaStar wrote:

Melinda,

How long do these stay warm? Sounds like my kids would like these at night.

Let's see... putting a "two pounder" of corn (my dc call these their "cornies") in the microwave for about 2 minutes makes it nice and toasty, and it holds the heat for a good 30-60 minutes, longer if you put it under a blanket. They are great to "preheat" the bed at night.

You can make them any size, but I have found that under 2-2.5 pounds they just don't hold the heat as long (but can always be reheated). Also, corn works better for us than rice. HTH

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Soooooo......if you put these corn bags in too long in the microwave....do you get popcorn??    Just kidding....sort of....

I might try my hand at these.....I've seen them with rice, but not corn.   

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

4 lads mom wrote:

We make ours with oatmeal---it smells soooo good when it is heated and stays warm for quite a while.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

wahoo92
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote wahoo92

My husband made these (heating pads) one year with rice as gifts for our family and for us. He also used decorative rope to put handles on the ends. I would say they are about six inches wide by about 16 inches long and hold maybe two pounds or so of rice. I don't think they are quite as fancy as the ones described above.

We use them nightly all winter. I heat mine 5 1/2 minutes, my hubby, 4, and they are still warm to touch at three in the morning. Note that mine is very, very hot initially when I put it in bed, but it heats up the bed nicely and cools down to a reasonable temperature rather quickly. Even at four minutes, my husband's pad stays warm most of the night, it just doesn't radiate as much heat at first.

Enjoy. We've been using these at least eight years, so they have a very long shelf life.

Back to Top View wahoo92's Profile Search for other posts by wahoo92

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

joann10 wrote:
4 lads mom wrote:

We make ours with oatmeal---it smells soooo good when it is heated and stays warm for quite a while.

Ohh...oatmeal. What a great smell. I am going to try that, maybe branching out into a different shape. I like the rope handle idea. That adds a nice touch.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

SeaStar wrote:
joann10 wrote:
4 lads mom wrote:

Ohh...oatmeal. What a great smell. I am going to try that, maybe branching out into a different shape. I like the rope handle idea. That adds a nice touch.

I just love this idea as our bedrooms tend to be quite cold in the winter months. Alas, we do not have a microwave and I fear it would be too much of a fire risk in the oven.   

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

joann10 wrote:
4 lads mom wrote:

We bought one in Austria, called "Oma's Kirschstein Sacke" -- filled with cherry pits. It's great for aches and pains and molds to the area ... and smells good too.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 4:57am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

MicheleQ wrote:

I just love this idea as our bedrooms tend to be quite cold in the winter months. Alas, we do not have a microwave and I fear it would be too much of a fire risk in the oven.   

We dont have a micro either. I put mine in a pan into the oven after I pull dinner out and leave it at 250* until we are ready for them. They heat up nicely in about 30 minutes.

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

This year I am making my dd a new dress coat. I found a beautiful bolt of camel color wool and a vintage pattern at a church rummage sale that I am goig to use.

My dh and teen sons are getting fitted boxers I was able to buy a large length of organic, undyed veloured cotton at a remnant sale. It is a long, but narrow piece that I wasn't sure how I was going to use, but it was too soft (and inexpensive) to pass up.! Then I noticed the state of their undies I found a pattern for "boxer briefs" in the "See and Sew" section. Since these are for winter use, I am going to make them a little longer, almost like bike shorts.

My mother is getting an indoor herb garden. My sons are making the shelves. I already started the seeds. My 10 yod and 5 yos decorated the pots. Depending on survival ate of the seedlings, I might make more than one to give as another gift.

I think my grandmother is getting a "rustic nativity". A neighbor lost several trees last year and allowed us to take all the wood we wanted. I found online instructions for making a mativity out of logs. We are going to give it a try next weekend.

There will be more, I am still getting organized.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

This year the children are writing Meme's old recipes on new recipe cards (handwriting time) to insert in pretty floral recipe boxes tied with a ribbon.

We're making strawberry bread and buying pretty Christmasy-kitchen towels to go with each recipe box.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

I love the idea of the microwaveable bags since our house is so darn cold. I thought about making them for my family, but since my 5yo DD is getting a sewing machine for Christmas I thought it would be a super first project for her. Thanks for the idea!

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I made these last year for my entire family. I used old pillow cases for the fabric (since they are a nice, tight weave). I cut them about 7-8" across parallel to the bottom seam. I folded the top edges under and pressed, then top-stitched four "compartments" from the lower seam of the pillow case (the short side) to the folded under edge. I filled them with rice, flax seed,lentils, and dried lavender, rosemary, and thyme from our garden and finished them by top-stitching across the top. I would not use the lentils again.They can be heated or frozen. I made a Velcro closing case for each pillow of a kind of suede cloth fabric. Be sure it is washable! As you will see below, I used a suede cloth that was dry clean only (fortunately, it rarely needs cleaning, but nevertheless...) Everyone loved them! Most successful gift I have ever made! Here's the note I included with the gift:

Merry Christmas to All!
     In the spirit of the season and the shadow of questionable financial times, I hope you enjoy this Herbal Stress-Reducing Pillow. As you may notice, it has been HANDCRAFTED of cotton, rice, and organic home-grown herbs. Whenever you feel that holiday stress coming on, just remove your pillow from the suede cloth cover (or the cover will melt!) and heat it in your microwave for 4-5 minutes until warm. Put it back in its case and wrap it around your tense neck and feel the warmth spread through your shoulders, relaxing you completely!
     Your pillow is filled with brown rice, lentils, flax seeds, lavender, rosemary, and thyme. The cover is dry-clean only. If the economy really takes a dive, just tear it open, add water, and , voila! , emergency soup rations.
      If you have a strain or sprain, I think this pillow could also be frozen to make a flexible ice pack

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version