Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: What do you do with your.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 20 2009 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

Sweet potatoes?? I am looking for some ideas for a side dish. I already make a pretty mean sweet Potato pie but would like to try them as a side dish this year.

Thanks and God bless,

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

We make sweet potatoes with cranberries as a side dish every Thanksgiving. They are good! But only if you like cranberries. :) Peel and cute the potatoes (not sure how much..I kind of eyeball it, they vary so much in size. Enough to make a single layer in a 13x9 pan when peeled and cubed) into biggish chunks, and boil until fork tender. Put in a 13x9 baking pan. Melt a stick of butter in a skillet. Add 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a bag of fresh cranberries. Cook on low heat, stirring the whole time, until the cranberries start to split. Then pour the sauce over the cranberries. (At this point I usually put the whole thing in the fridge to wait until the turkey comes out of the oven.) Put the whole thing in the oven and warm through.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

My mother and grandmother bake them in rounds with a pat of butter on each and then a sprinkling of brown sugar, cinnamon and brandy. Always my favorite growing up.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

robinhigh
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote robinhigh

Just saw this and it looks yummy: Dolloped sweet potatoes
Back to Top View robinhigh's Profile Search for other posts by robinhigh

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

robinhigh wrote:
Just saw this and it looks yummy: Dolloped sweet potatoes

Ooooooo, the dollop looks really yummy. I often put whole sweet potatoes in a slow cooker. The dollop would make them fancier:)

I may try this one, this year. There is a similar one for the slow cooker at allrecipe.com too, which is nice for freeing up oven space.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

melanie wrote:
We make sweet potatoes with cranberries as a side dish every Thanksgiving. They are good! But only if you like cranberries. :) Peel and cute the potatoes (not sure how much..I kind of eyeball it, they vary so much in size. Enough to make a single layer in a 13x9 pan when peeled and cubed) into biggish chunks, and boil until fork tender. Put in a 13x9 baking pan. Melt a stick of butter in a skillet. Add 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a bag of fresh cranberries. Cook on low heat, stirring the whole time, until the cranberries start to split. Then pour the sauce over the cranberries. (At this point I usually put the whole thing in the fridge to wait until the turkey comes out of the oven.) Put the whole thing in the oven and warm through.

Thank you Melanie, I love cranberries and sweet potatoes. Trying this tomorrow!!!!!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

Thanks ladies they all sound good, I am thinking though I might go with Angie's recipe sounds like one my family would really like. The cranberry one sounds good also but not many here like cranberries!

Thanks again,
God bless

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

i make sweet potato crescent rolls. the only sweetness is from the potatoes so they are great with savory dishes...

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 25 2009 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Yesterday we topped our slow cooker sweet potatoes with these yummy Sahale Pecans that I picked up at Costco.

Jackie, will you let me know how the recipe comes out? I'm looking at it for our Christmas meal.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 25 2009 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

Yes Angie I will. Michelle may I ask for the recipe for your crescent rolls? Sounds like something we would like also.

Thanks and God bless,

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

Angie, I justed wanted to let you know that the recipe was a big hit at our house everyone loved it! Thanks again,

God bless,

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well call me simple but the most favorite way to serve there here are mashed.. just like regular mashed potatoes.. especially good served with ham.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

kbfsc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote kbfsc

My aunt taught me to slice sweet potatoes in thin rounds, toss them with olive oil, salt and generous chili powder. (Yes, chili powder.) Next place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast in a hot oven just until done. The combo of the potatoes' sweetness and the salt/chili savoriness is super yummy. A little time consuming (although much less so if you have a mandolin slicer), but worth it.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

This isn't a "party sweet potato" but I roast them at 350 for 1 hour or at 450 for 30 minutes. They get caramelly right underneath the skin, almost like candy leather. Yum.

We do the chili powder thing too! Yum.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

kbfsc wrote:
My aunt taught me to slice sweet potatoes in thin rounds, toss them with olive oil, salt and generous chili powder. (Yes, chili powder.) Next place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast in a hot oven just until done. The combo of the potatoes' sweetness and the salt/chili savoriness is super yummy. A little time consuming (although much less so if you have a mandolin slicer), but worth it.
This is exactly how we love them ... watch 'em though as the sugar in the potato will burn quickly and then it pervades the whole batch! Definitely worth the watching and waiting for them, though!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

bake them with apples and brown sugar and cinnamon.

this is one of my oldest dd's fave. poor thing called home on Thanksgiving in tears because none of the food at her InLaws was "right." (i don't really think it was the food per se, but the food was just 'one more thing' at that point.)
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Okay, I do the big old sweet potato casserole with the pecan pralined topping.

Oh my word.

The Southern Girl in me (GA born and reared, tyvm!) loooooovesssss sweet potato casserole (my grandmother brought two of her sweet potato pies to my rehersal dinner 14+ yrs ago, and DH still talks about them...lol).

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

I slice them thinly (along with white potatoes) and cook them with sliced onions in butter in a skillet. I usually add thyme, kosher salt and fresh black pepper to season them.

Rosesinsummer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote Rosesinsummer

My mom makes a delicious sweet potato casserole using pineapple tidbits and chopped pecans.

Basically, peel, cook and mash the sweet potatoes like mashed taters.

Add butter to your personal tastes, brown sugar to your taste, a small can of pineapple tidbits, including the juice, or half of a large can and mix together.   Top with lightly toasted chopped pecans and heat through and your done!
Back to Top View Rosesinsummer's Profile Search for other posts by Rosesinsummer

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Here's another sweet potato discussion with recipes.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version