Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Perishables left out Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

re the mayo -- yes, i tend to think mayo can't be left out, and we don't. but have you ever left some out in a bowl? i did once, and it was there for days (we went out of town) -- it was NOT rotten when we got back, but it did dry up, kinda like plastic. i'm almost afraid to know why it didn't rot. that was a long time ago though -- we don't buy mayo anymore and use Vegenaise instead.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I'm totally shocked about both the mayo and the garlic. We always use the jarred kind because its just so convenient. I hate chopping garlic. It does explain though, why its possible at fast food restaurants to get a non-refrigerated mayo packet. I guess there wouldn't be a concern with introducing germs in that case.

Re mustard and ketchup. I keep thinking about places like Costco and Sam's. They serve hot dogs and put out big containers of mustard and ketchup in pump style bottles. They aren't refrigerated. I'd be surprised if they went into the fridge at night, but even if they did, that's 8 hrs a day or more un-refrigerated while people are using it.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Starchy foods like potatoes and rice and pasta are prone to going bad. In Cook's Illustrated, some time ago, I read that mayo got a bad rap with summer potato salad food poisoning. In reality, its the starch from the potatoes.

Real mayo is oil and eggs, and commercial mayo is mostly oil whipped. There isn't any dairy or anything really to go bad quickly.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

CrunchyMom wrote:
Starchy foods like potatoes and rice and pasta are prone to going bad.

Really??? See, now I wouldn't think twice about putting the pasta (plain) back in the fridge if it got left out. I figured since it was free of any animal products it was safe? This is all very enlightening...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

pasta would be fine the next day, but not longer (my dd probably won't agree).

and i should probably get her in here -- she got her National Certification for Food Safety and Sanitation just this week. i've gotten a few lectures from her

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

CrunchyMom wrote:

Real mayo is oil and eggs, and commercial mayo is mostly oil whipped. There isn't any dairy or anything really to go bad quickly.

I believe the eggs in real mayo are not cooked, and since Salmonella is a huge problem in raw eggs here in the US, I would not chance leaving it out. I think the vinegar that's added decreases any microbial growth but left out in warm weather mayo can certainly go bad. And yes, esp if someone has "double-dipped" a knife, etc in it - it's a great growing medium for bacteria. Remember the high school biology project where you get pond water and add it to several different jars with different media in them like soil, rice, and a hardboiled egg yolk? That yolk grew a LOT of nasty stuff that was added to it.

also, depending on what kind of oil was used, some could go rancid sitting out in warm temps.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version