Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: On bedrest Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jenn in WY
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Jenn in WY

I am 35 weeks pregnant and my blood pressure has been slowly climbing for the past five weeks. On Friday, it hit the dreaded 30 point increase in systolic pressure and 15 point increase in diastolic pressure. I am also apparently anemic, though the rest of my labs are fine, and the baby passed his/her non-stress test with flying colors.

Because I desire as little intervention as possible, my midwives told me that almost complete bedrest is my best option as my bp drops to normal when I am lying on my side. I am allowed up to eat and bathe. My brief research on meds indicates that while they drop blood pressure, they do not prevent severe preeclampsia and the organ damage than can ensue from preeclampsia (not to mention siezures and death). Bedrest is inconclusive but one study I looked at says it is helpful in a case like mine if started early enough.

Please pray for us. This is my first return to the hospital after two home deliveries. I am glad to have the medical care, but what I thought would be an easy, simple delivery may yet turn into something a bit more complicated. I need to do what is best for my baby and my health and not let my pride interfere.

Also pray for my dh, Lincoln. He works for our parish which is right behind our house. He is very accessible, but this will place a huge strain on him. People are providing us meals, but he has to take over all of my other responsibilities except for homeschooling, and he isn't a very detail oriented guy and he dislikes being told what to do!!!

Thanks.

Back to Top View Jenn in WY's Profile Search for other posts by Jenn in WY

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jenn,

Prayers from another Jenn...this is quite a bit on your plate!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Praying here.

The best lesson I could have learned in a similar situation was that of letting go and putting more trust in the medical profession. Some things are out of our control completely. Hang in there.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

My bedrest lesson was to be willing to swallow my pride and ask for help. God knocked me out twice before I was willing to listen!   

I know you are trying for low intervention, but I'm curious if magnesium sulfate is one of the meds you looked at. I think it requires hospitalization so I'm praying you won't have to experience it. I just remember that when I had it for preterm labor I was told it was also used for preeclamsia, and, I thought, high BP.

I'm praying that the next few weeks will go smoothly. Praise God you are so close to delivery!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi Jenn,
I will pray for you. I was on bedrest for about 4 weeks with my 3rd dd. My other children were younger, so I wasn't homeschooling yet (except some simple preschool 5 in a Row stuff). I was still working very part time as a youth minister at the time. One of the teens who had graduated from my youth group came periodically to take the girls on walks and help with lunch and stuff. It was May and she was already home from college. You mention that your dh works at your parish. Are there teens in the parish who might be of help to you?

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Jenn,
I will be praying for you and your family. What a blessing that you have meals and house cleaning taken care of...
Just rest and keep growing that sweet baby!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Jenn in WY
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn in WY

Rachel May wrote:
I know you are trying for low intervention, but I'm curious if magnesium sulfate is one of the meds you looked at. I think it requires hospitalization so I'm praying you won't have to experience it. I just remember that when I had it for preterm labor I was told it was also used for preeclamsia, and, I thought, high BP.

Magnesium Sulfate is used for more severe cases than mine. Also, it is usually used to give the baby more time to develop. Because I am 35 weeks, I probably won't have to worry about this med unless my blood pressure goes out of control during labor. I had high blood pressure in my first pregnancy without any problems in labor, so I am hoping for the best.

Thanks everyone for your prayers. Add my mom to your intentions. I just received a lecture from her today on how she certainly hopes this is my last baby as she doesn't think my life is worth risking. While high bp is risky, my midwives would not have let me come home if they thought my life was at risk. Furthermore, I had this in my first pregnancy, and nobody told me that I shouldn't have a second child. Apparently it is worth the risk for a second child, but not for a fifth. My husband and I will certainly exercise prudence, but I feel this baby moving around in my belly and know that it is all worth it. There is never a guarantee with any pregnancy.

Peace

Jenn in WY
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn in WY

teachingmom wrote:
Are there teens in the parish who might be of help to you?

We are a Newman Center. So there is lots of help if I need it. Right now I am trying to find somebody to drive my daughter to ballet tomorrow!

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to be the youth minister here, but resigned when Benedict was born. Too much to juggle!!!

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

Jenn,
I've never experienced bed rest, but have a dear friend who has. Will pray for you, your family and your mom!
God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Jenn in WY wrote:
Because I am 35 weeks, I probably won't have to worry about this med unless my blood pressure goes out of control during labor.

I forgot that I was induced at 35 weeks because they didn't expect the mag to work anymore.    I'll keep praying and for your mom too. Sometimes that type of thing is harder to take than physical problems for me.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Jenn in WY wrote:
I used to be the youth minister here, but resigned when Benedict was born. Too much to juggle!!!

I can identify, Jenn. I worked 12-15 hours per week, mostly from home, until the birth of my 3rd child too.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Praying, Jenn.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

praying here too...for all your intentions.

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

Wendy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote Wendy

Hang in there, Jenn. Prayers on the way.

Momma to Grace, Sam, Ben, Maggie, Mary Cate, and Jamie
Back to Top View Wendy's Profile Search for other posts by Wendy

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jenn, you are doing great under challenging circumstances. We're praying for you and your whole family. I'll pray for your mom, who is currently wrapped up in her concern for her baby and may not be thinking clearly .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Praying for you and your family, Jenn!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Jenn in WY
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn in WY

Thank you so much for all of your prayers. My sil offered to come and help us out and was available for the last two weeks of bedrest.

My pregnancy remained uncomplicated except for the high blood pressure. My labor began about 9:30 am on March 3 on the way to a prenatal appointment. Micah Andrew was born at 2:57 pm perfectly healthy except for a little meconium in his nose and throat. We had a fast and uncomplicated labor, and he continues to do well.

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

Congratulations!
God Bless little Micah Andrew.

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Congratulations Jenn! I had been hoping you would post. Had heard from Monique you had a boy, but she didn't have any other details at the time.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2006 at 5:15am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Congratulations!!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version