Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Demonstration of Cell/Atomic Size Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

lapazfarm wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

I pulled down my copy of Mary Daly's The Universe in My Hands and found that she references both Kees Boeke's Cosmic View: The Universe in 40 Jumps as well as Ray and Charles Eames' The Power of 10 as sources of inspiration for her program.

So, has anyone ever used this program successfully? I know lots of people have tried it-- it's been discussed here many times before. Several have said they never figured out how to make it work, but no one has said it has actually worked for them. I have never seen it personally, but it always sounded like such a good idea to me. I wonder what the problem is?

Well, I have it and have never used it, so I can't really say, Theresa. I liked the program because in essence, it is another way of classifying and grouping...sort of like a timeline is to history...order of magnitudes can be to science. It's a very neat way of classifying. I sort of felt like the idea was there, but I always felt that the program needed some fleshing out. I wanted to pull together a few books...I just couldn't figure out where to start. BUT...this conversation has given me enough to start on a booklist. The timeline would be so empty without the lovely books full of people and events to inspire additions to the timeline. In the same way, the order of magnitudes felt somewhat lacking to me without some kind of meat to add to the discussion of a snowflake. And, even though some wonderful examples are given for each order, I still felt like I was having trouble with "big picture" and if I was...my child surely would as well. The Power of 10 video and some of the other books mentioned on this thread have really facilitated me being able to see how this could work though.

I have no real experience to offer though...just my thoughts on how I'm starting to see possibilities.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 5:14am | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

Here's another interactive site for understanding scale:

Universcale

Blessings,
Kris
At Home Science
Science of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version