Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: meals for Father*update pg2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

Maddie wrote:
Do Yankees (we're in MI) not do this sort of thing or is it just falling on the wayside of our culture all together?

I don't know what part of MI you are in, but my family lives in MI and they always take a meal to someone when there is a death or someone is sick (unfortunately it doesn't seem like anyone they know are having babies). A good friend is very ill right now and my mom is making a meal to take to her this weekend.

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I am not sure MI is known to be the friendliest state unless you go up north. But we do meals around here in lower MI so maybe it's just your community. In which case you are a good example!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Thank you, Bridget. I did mean the Yankee comment tongue in cheek, I didn't mean to offend any Michiganders.

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I knew you were joking, but truly we are not known to be friendly. I have spoken to people who moved here from the south who were very discouraged by the lack of friendliness here.

I would say dinners are a great way to turn that around!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

In my parish we have 4 priests There is a sign up sheet for bringing meals to the rectory. Parishoners provide meals Monday thru Friday. Another popular ministry in our parish is "Agape", which provides meals for families in any sort of need--new baby, family illness/tragedy, moving, whatever.

Within my homeschool we are always feeding each other I had strep this week, and someone brought dinner every day! I don't even know how anyone knew I was sick!?

So I don't think you are being "weird".

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Is it possible to just ask Father outright - knowing of course that he did appreciate the thought. It might be that he just has too much at once - or maybe he is more private and is uncomfortable that anyone was in his rectory while he was gone. If you let him know that you would like to provide meals from time to time but don't want to get in his way or impose or cause more trouble and see if he has any particular requests like not quite so much or dietary preferences, etc. My grandmother provided meals for a neighbor across the street for over a year. She simply made homemade TV dinners in something that could be easily popped in the microwave for single servings. It simply involved placing some of what she made aside before serving her own family. The couple across the street could then use it or store it as needed. Sometimes when folks are by themselves, a full meal prepared family style just is too much at one time.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I thought of talking to him about it, but it almost seems better to just drop it now. In hindsight, I think it would have been better to ask him first, not to ask his housekeeper. Seemed like a good idea at the time, his housekeeper thought it was too. I hate to sound bitter, but I'm done with offering meals to anyone for a while. It may not be weird to us homemakers, but many people do think I'm strange for offering, like I'm too June Cleaverish.

I think I'll offer McD's dollars from now on.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version