Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: need a good beer recommendation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

wow, my drinking repertoire is boring compared to all of you i only ever buy beer for cooking/baking and i still puzzle over why ANYONE would drink beer -- guys or girls. altho' sometimes i entertain the thought of having beer with pizza.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Oh, yum! I love beer and pizza although most times I have red wine (lol). My dh is also a beer snob. Well, I guess I should say that he is will to try new beers. And we live in a great country for that since there are so many local beers brewed here. However, he did like Sam Adams and I remember purchasing that quite a bit when we lived in the States. They have several different varieties...I think they had a wheat beer and I always like those. Nice and smooth.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

SusanJ wrote:

In Minnesota our absolute favorite for every day is Summitt. That is the worst thing about living on the East Coast.
I keep thinking of that "would you think less of me post" every time I post now . . .

My poor husband missed Summit deperately and there is no Trader Joe's near us

And Susan I think of that thread alllll the time now

I drink wine or frufru drinks too. Oh, but I love a toasted almond:) (Kaluha, amaretto and cream)

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Martha

okay my dh loves, loves, beer. his the wine taster equal for beer guys. home brews and all.

he says what he'd rec depends on where you are, where the priest is from, and what you having for dinner.

so we anxiously await details!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

We're in the mid-west, Father's from Indiana. And, OH!! I just remembered, he used to be a bartender before becoming a priest, Yikes! He's going to be a beer snob too.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

And we're serving Mexican.

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Well, I truly don't mean to cause offense to anyone who likes it but don't serve Corona just because it's Mexican! I don't know any serious male beer drinkers who would drink Corona. Sorry--I wouldnt' think less of you if it's your favorite beer.   

I really like winter ales with Mexican food or anything spicy. I don't know if they'd be out yet. Ales are light enough to sort of contrast the food but the winter ales are hearty enough to stand up to the spice. I think. I'd avoid wheat beers, stouts, and porters with Mexican.

If all of us utterly confuse you, you could go to a liquor store and ask. If you have any that are "nicer" but sell lots of beer they will have more knowledgeable staff and beer prices don't vary that much.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Well, my husband and his beer drinking friends enjoy a corona on a hot summer day, like at a barbeque, but INSIST it have sliced lime in it.

However, I can't imagine my husband choosing a Corona any other time, and certainly not when serving one special guest. Corona's are a good price for a large crowd when serving a Mexican buffet, yk?

I, personally, would go to the local, non-chain liquor store, maybe one that says "wine" would be more apt to have a variety of beers, and tell them what you are looking for, what you are serving, and your price range. Our local sales people are so incredibly knowledgeable, and that way, you might be able to get something special that is local since the ladies on this board are spread so wide, you might miss out by not being able to find a particular recommendation without knowing of a local equivalent.

My husband has discovered some of his favorite beers because I walked into the liquor store completely clueless and asked a sales clerk for his recommendation for my husband. That is also how we discovered our favorite go-to white wine.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Most recently, we bought beer to take to a chili cook-off, and the owner of the wine shop recommended a "brown ale" to go with spicy foods.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

CrunchyMom wrote:
That is also how we discovered our favorite go-to white wine.

And that would be...?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

MaryM wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

And that would be...?

Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc. It's about $12 a bottle, I think, and it satisfies both my husband (who is particular and generally prefers a good red) and me (who is a wine whimp). Not too dry for me, and not too sweet for dh.

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Lindsay, if you mean a nutty brown ale, then check out Newcastle. That is my dh's favorite beer and we have several friends who also enjoy it as well. In fact, he likes it so much, he brewed some of his own (lol).

We served Corona at our Independence Day party. I gave dh a bad time about it since for the most part, we don't normally drink it. It was just for fun.

And yes, I would also go to a good local store and ask for recommendations. That is how I found some of the great beers that we have enjoyed.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I dig beer. I'm not a beer snob. I'll drink just about any beer other than Bud or Bud Light although I will drink Shock Top from Anheiser Busch if its on tap .

It really sounds like the easiest purchase for you would be the Samuel Adams variety pack that you can get at just about any grocer. This way, you can have your guest choose for themselves from a maker that is considered above average by beer snobs. (I think the Beer Advocate is a bit tough on its ratings but if you want to check out other brands, you can google the brand name + beer advocate to avoid logging in.) Ohhh, we eat Mexican all the time and never purchase or serve Corona - don't feel obliged .   

I don't think anyone mentioned to be sure and buy beer in bottles. If you can't have it on tap, have it in a bottle, if desperate have it in a can .

Stef..........some of us grew up on "beer budgets" so its in my taste buds and history... beer it is for me! Although I may have moved on to some better beers, I still love a cold Rolling Rock from time to time and I'll enjoy a Bud Lime and other silly beers. Besides, pizza and baseball games are enhanced by a cold one .

A clearifying note: I didn't drink alcohol for many childbearing years. I started enjoying a beer again a bit back as a cheering treat from time to time as I move into my new stage of life. Cheering is good .

Have fun, Maddie!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

CrunchyMom wrote:
MaryM wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

And that would be...?

Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc. It's about $12 a bottle, I think, and it satisfies both my husband (who is particular and generally prefers a good red) and me (who is a wine whimp). Not too dry for me, and not too sweet for dh.

Sounds perfect for our house as well - since you and dh sound just like me and my dh. Thanks!

Now back to the regularly scheduled beer talk....

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Newcastle is good and available at most grocery stores.

You're going to come back on Monday and let us know what you served and what Father thought of it, right

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Of course!

Thanks for the tip about serving beer in bottles, wish someone would have told me sooner. We had a warm Bud in the house that I offered to a priest back home, I thought it should be cold, so naturally I served it in a plastic cup with ice...

Father laughed so hard at me!

Off to buy beer with all these great recommendations!

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

The Sam Adams variety pack is a good bet - dh and I get that once in awhile for variety. I love to hear that there are other 'beer gals' here!   

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I'll admit that I love beer, too.
My husband also just started brewing!
I agree with Suzanne - Fat Tire is a great beer.
I also agree that Sam Adams makes some great beers, but there were (are?) some anti-Catholic issues with the company that taint the brand name for me.

One of our favorites is Boulevard Wheat - brewed in Kansas City. Serve it with a slice of lemon. You should be able to find that anywhere in the Midwest, Maddie. Unfortunately, it looks like you can only get Empyrean in Nebraska. I love their beers.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh and not all beer needs or should be served cold.. just like wine.. white wines tend to be chilled and red wines room temp.. lighter beers should be chilled and the darker you go the more they shoudl be served room temp.. though that of course is subject to personal preference.. I like a chilled red wine at times

And you can serve beer in glasses.. glass glasses that have been chilled for instance.. just pour carefully.. you don't want to make them foam up a lot.

But most people who drink beer are happy with it in the bottle.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Maria in WI
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote Maria in WI

My husband is a fan of microbrews, and a beer that we usually serve at parties is Spotted Cow from the New Glarus Brewing Company in Southern Wisconsin. I don't know how widely it is distributed, though. Most people enjoy it, except for the hard core Bud fans .
Back to Top View Maria in WI's Profile Search for other posts by Maria in WI

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version