Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What do you delegate? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

JodieLyn wrote:
amyable wrote:
Quick aside - do any of you feel guilty when the kids are working and you are not? i.e. you've delegated a lot and you've done your work and they are still working? I have a lot of trouble with this for some reason.

Oh my and you aren't having to chase around and keep everyone working even then?

OK, I *am* doing *that*. But I thought it was because I was not setting a good example by working while they are working. FWIW, I'm usually done because they are fooling around, and I am not. Even when I lend a hand, they tend to slooooow down and start talking. Talking to me is great, not working because you are talking and can't do both at once is not so hot. Esp. when they really have few chores, I just want them to DO them, YKWIM?

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Sometimes I don't feel like I delegate enough but for the 2 olders, they alternate betw. laundry/kitchen duty. So, laundry really is only moving it from washbin to laundry room and then I sort and wash. Then they move it from washer to dryer and from dryer to couch. I fold and my DD has to put her own clothes away too.

Kitchen duty is helping set the table, help prep for dinner, helping w/ clean-up, take out trash and recycle.

Last, I delegated dusting, bathrooms and floors to a cleaning lady 1x per month. SAVED OUR MARRIAGE! My DH tends to be a bit more...ummmm....clean shall we say than my standards so we truly have to have this. It was 2x per month but it's so expensive so I do my best to maintain those areas at least 1 time in betw. I try harder and he's relaxed his standards a bit so we all tend to stay happy about it most of the time. My clutter piles are still a work in process tho.   

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Kathryn wrote:

Last, I delegated dusting, bathrooms and floors to a cleaning lady 1x per month.     

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Off the top of my head.....the 2 things I'm most thrilled and relieved about delegating are:

1. Emptying the dishwasher (my least favorite chore)...my 7 and 8 yo do it now!

2. Grocery Shopping gets delegated to dh. Such a huge relief and time saver for me. I plan meals and make the lists....he goes out.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

amyable wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:
amyable wrote:
Quick aside - do any of you feel guilty when the kids are working and you are not? i.e. you've delegated a lot and you've done your work and they are still working? I have a lot of trouble with this for some reason.

Oh my and you aren't having to chase around and keep everyone working even then?

OK, I *am* doing *that*. But I thought it was because I was not setting a good example by working while they are working. FWIW, I'm usually done because they are fooling around, and I am not. Even when I lend a hand, they tend to slooooow down and start talking. Talking to me is great, not working because you are talking and can't do both at once is not so hot. Esp. when they really have few chores, I just want them to DO them, YKWIM?

I canNOT figure this out myself. I mean, I get that my kids are only 3 and 5 and unable to reason like me, but it drives me CRAZY that they would make a task take a gazillion times longer than it has to.

For instance, tonight we were cleaning the schoolroom. It's fallen off the radar for a few weeks, and the boys favorite thing was cutting paper. So, in addition to the toys, books, etc... on the floor, there was a ton of paper. I clearly stated multiple times for them to put the paper in the garbage and put EVERYTHING ELSE in the laundry basket. I was working on the books and bookshelves.

So, while the boys can clean their room, take laundry to the hamper or from the hamper to the basement, take their dishes to the kitchen, etc..., most often, I assign them a simple task related to what I am doing at the time. (mine are young, though, to have a delegated responsibility).

However, it really, really should have take them 20 minutes to just put paper in the trash and everything else in the basket, but they would jabber and I swear, every other thing they picked up, they asked me where it went. My oldest insisted it would be easier if we just lived in a bigger house like the Girones So, an hour and a half later, I gave up and sent them to bed.

In short, I feel your pain.

And I can't wait until they can unload the dishwasher by themselves. They do parts, and it won't be long! I hate unloading the dishwasher. Ugh!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Oh yeah, and my dh does a lot of the grocery shopping as well.

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

What types of things do you delegate to littles? My oldest turns 6 in a two weeks. What types of things would be appropriate for him to do? And Sophia (4), for that matter?

I do have all of them help clear the table. We all clean up toys together. And DS feeds the cats. We don't make beds here.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My five year old puts his own clothes away in his drawers, and both boys can sweep with a little broom. They both rake leaves and sweep outside. They also love doing little chores like snipping off the dead marigold heads. They picked most of the vegetables this summer from the garden. When I'm line drying, they can hang short things on a lower line. They also fold things like napkins and washcloths. They LOVE any job that involves a spray bottle, but aren't always great at it and sometimes make another mess.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote amyable

I love how we are all so different. I *love* unloading the dishwasher. Mostly because I time myself and can get it done in under 3 minutes, yet it *sounds* like a hard chore ... so I can assign it to myself and be happy, while other people are thankful I did.      Yet another reason I'm done while others are working.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I find as the kids have harder lessons the chores have slipped more off the radar. I mean, for crying out loud, it is half way through the morning and we haven't even hit morning prayer as they are finishing their chores still!! So on my cranky days I do it all- so much easier than nagging (sorry, cranky day today )

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Actually when I mentioned ironing, I meant that was one job I never have to think about, dd just does it without any reminders.

We do also have a rotating job roster, sometimes the dc are on the job for a month, sometimes we change weekly. Lindsey even my five year old is on the roster but dh or I help her. I tend to help the 8 and 10 yr old when they are on the laundry (the clothesline is a little tall for them) and I'll also help the 8 yr old when she is on the kitchen.

Also the dc are to keep their rooms clean and make their beds (I do have to nag there)And one child is responsible for the dog for a whole year.

When you are on a room/task it involves all chores associated with it. ie sweeping, cleaning, putting away clutter (in the case of the dishwasher loading/unloading) etc
roster is:
Kitchen
Lounge/Table
Washing/Folding
Bathroom
Yard/Verandah, Collect Eggs
Garbage & Compost(to chooks)Feed Chooks

I'm currently doing all the cooking but I have shared this at times with the older three (16,14 and 12)

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version