Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: How do your children address adults? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Dittoing Nan also - typically Miss/Mr. Firstname as is custom here. BUT, my closest local friends and I all grew up in the Northeast, and so we have agreed that we'd rather be called Mrs. LASTNAME. So strangely enough, for people we don't know well, it's Miss/Mr. Firstname, and for those we know really well, it's Mrs/Mr. Lastname.    I'm glad. I waited ALL MY LIFE to be married and be Mrs. Lastname, then right after marriage I moved south and was immediately Miss Amy. I'm thankful I found a bunch of yankees as friends.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
I've totally reversed my earlier preference on this. When I first had children and was still in my 20s, I didn't like to be called Mrs. ___ (that was my mother-in-law) and generally was pretty casual about names/titles. Our friends were called by first name by our kids and the same for theirs. As time has passed I had really felt it was more respectful to call adults by Mr. and Mrs. last name and that is how I refer to them when talking about them to my children or when introducing them to my children, so that is what the children call them when addressing them. There are exceptions - a couple of families who are very good friends and have been a big part of our lives from the earliest years of our marriage are still called by first names. But generally everyone else is the Mr. & Mrs. even those who have become good friends - because we stick with how they were introduced in the beginning.

In our homeschool circle that is generally what everyone does so it makes it easy.

And I've pretty much gotten over my issues with being Mrs. _____

Ditto all of this!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote doris

First names all the way here. We've got the odd acquaintance who insist on Mr and Mrs X (always surname, never first name -- that would be very weird here).

Things have definitely changed here. When I was a small child, my mother insisted on us calling the neighbours Auntie Valerie etc. Dh says that he always called adults Mr and Mrs X.

The idea of using Mr and Mrs X is appealing, but would be very unusual here.

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote violingirl

I have never liked being called Mrs. W---, and now that I only teach private students I ask them all to call me Miss Erin. I think it still shows respect.

With our kids we've always asked what the adult would like to be called, and most want their first name so we compromise with Miss Sarah or Mr. Mitch instead of just Sarah or Mitch. Still respectful with the title, but also meeting the wishes of the adult since most of our friends prefer to be called by their first name.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

The majority of the the time it is Mr./Mrs. Lastname. We have a few close friends that are "Auntie Firstname" or "Uncle Firstname," which is a custom we picked up while living in Hawaii.

I have to say that I like being called "Mrs. D--" I waited so long to get married that I was thrilled to be a "Mrs.!"

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Our children call people by their Christian names, and I expect other children to call me by my Christian name, unless their parents don't wish for that. Priests get called Father Christian name, which seems standard here, or sometimes Father Surname. Elderly friends do get Mr or Mrs, but normally Aunty X or Uncle Y. I grew up calling every adult I knew well Aunty or Uncle - but don't know other people who did that. I was so used to using titles or saying "sir" to male teachers, that at university I used to be laughed at in tutorials when I would say sir.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version