Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: names your kids call their grandparents? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

mimip wrote:
We had a very unique problem when my oldest was born. All four of my grandparents were still alive!!! ( I know that is truly one of my biggest blessings )

Same here--my four grandparents are all still living, AND I still have two great-grandparents alive! (Three were alive when my two oldest were born, but my father's grandmother died last year.) My husband also has a grandmother alive. And with the some of the first grandchildren on both sides, we have had a lot of names to come up with!

Here are my kids' names for their relatives...
My mom and dad: Grandma and Grandpa
My maternal grandparents: G-Ma and G-Pa
My maternal great grandparents (their great-great-grandparents): Little Grandma and Pa (this is what I still call them too)
My paternal grandparents: Nonna and Nonno (they're Italian--this is what I call them also)
My husband's parents: Lola and Lolo (they're Filipino)
My husband's grandmother: Inang (Filipino for mother--this is what we call her too)

Really fun thread!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

My parents: Gammy and Grandpa
My M-I-L: Grandma (she calls herself Grandma Helen on cards, etc.)

Gammy is a traditional grandmother name in my mom's family, so I expect that's what I'll be called too.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

When my paternal grandmother was still alive I introduced her to my son and asked what should he call her? Great-grandmother seemed like such a mouthful, she thought for a minute and said, he can just call me "Great".

BlessedBGod
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote BlessedBGod

Hey Moms,
We call the grandparents, "Memere and Pepere" being French-Canadian. The other set of grandparents are just, "Grandma and Grandpa." Around here they call the grandparents, "Me-Ma and Pa-Pa". Interesting question. BlessedBGod
Back to Top View BlessedBGod's Profile Search for other posts by BlessedBGod

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote florasita

We always have Gramma then the name like my Gramma was Gramma Grace , our children have Gramma Tirzah & Gramma Sandy . I am very happy & proud to say I am the first granny ! I always loved granny . My girlfriend Sunshine her kids called her mum granny she is one of my most loved role models she is from Arkansa . Granny reminds me of the Tasha Tudor type which is what my grandmother was like . I did when thinking of what my grandson would call me I did like the french Canadian version but I'm not french canadian my dh is . I think granny suits me very nicely
My dh is the first Grampa in our family for generations so he had first pick for a title and he chose grampa . I also like Oma , Omi , Opa , Opi my mennonite familiy used this .

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

When I was born I was fortunate-enough to have four grandparents, seven great-grandparents, and one great-great-grandmother alive. They were all called Gramma or Grampa Last Name.

My kids also have a lot of grandparents but because both sets of our parents are divorced and remarried. We decided to do Gramma or Grampa First Name with the actual grandparents and first names only with the steps (because they're all fairly young and mostly recent additions to the family). Unfortunately our parents don't like this and insist on everyone being a Gramma or Grampa. Not worth fighting over, I guess.

I love all the ethnic names and I wish there was enough heritage left in our family to use them.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

On a related note, do your families have friends or other non-relatives whom your kids call "Aunt" or "Uncle?"

My family never did that, but I had plenty of aunts and uncles by blood and marriage living very nearby. My husband didn't, so there were parents' friends he called Aunt and Uncle. Our kids don't call anyone but aunts and uncles Aunt and Uncle. I'm not too consistent about what they call other adults; Mr./Mrs./Miss Lastname, Mr./Mrs./Miss Firstname, or even just Firstname, depending on the others' preference and/or the kind of relationship.

And do your kids actually use "Cousin" before the first name to address cousins? We don't.

For that matter, I've known (perfectly respectful) families where the kids didn't even use Aunt and Uncle as titles, but I always saw it as an obligatory form of address when I was growing up, so I try to keep it that way for my kids.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

My husbands parents are Mom Mom and Pop Pop and my parents are Grandma and Grandpa. We had an "adopted grandma" (recently died) who was called "Bup" which is short for "Bupcia". Some friends of ours call their grandparents "Mimi and Poppy".

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

insegnante wrote:

And do your kids actually use "Cousin" before the first name to address cousins? We don't.

No, that would sound funny to me and too formal.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We've found in talking to the kids about someone.. we do occationally use Cousin So'n'so.. simply because otherwise it's too confusing.. (how many Johns do you know? )

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

These are some interesting questions. I would enjoy it if they had a thread all of their own.

insegnante wrote:
On a related note, do your families have friends or other non-relatives whom your kids call "Aunt" or "Uncle?"

No.   I'm very big on distinguishing family with their (honorary )title.

insegnante wrote:
I'm not too consistent about what they call other adults; Mr./Mrs./Miss Lastname, Mr./Mrs./Miss Firstname, or even just Firstname, depending on the others' preference and/or the kind of relationship.

All adults are referred to as Mr. or Mrs. Lastname unless my children are specifically asked to address the person by their first name. Every single adult teacher at our parish goes by their first name. It really bugs me when my child says, "John said...." I think they are referring to another child! I've instructed them to add the appropirate title of respect (Mr.. or Mrs Firstname).

insegnante wrote:

No. All of their cousins have unique names. I don't think any of the names are repeats. I will sporadically say something like, "I saw your cousin Imani today." It's not how they address their cousins though.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh there is only a couple of people that we use the honorary "Uncle" title.. hmm actually only one.. dh's best friend.. he doesn't have his own family (he has his siblings that he's not in real close touch with) and in some ways he's as close as dh's brothers.. even to joining us at my ILs house for Thanksgiving.. so it's not just any friend or anything.. there's a level there that makes them closer than friend though not related by marriage or blood either.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JodieLyn wrote:
We've found in talking to the kids about someone.. we do occationally use Cousin So'n'so.. simply because otherwise it's too confusing.. (how many Johns do you know? )

Us, too, when talking about them but never in a formal address to them. We would only do it as Michaela's example mentioned.

Hey, Michaela, taking your suggestion and starting a separate thread specifically for "Mr. and Mrs." question and non-relative familiarity of title question.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

Up until I was 10 years old, I had 4 grandparents and 2 great-grandparents. We called them:
Grampa and Grama Lastname-my mom's parents
Old Grampa and Old Grama-my mom's grandparents
Grampa Firstname and Grama Lastname-my dad's parents
At one time, when we were very young, we my mom's mom Little Grama and my dad's mom Big Grama. Mom says she had to put a quick stop to that!
My sister and I have always wondered why we called everyone by their last names, except for Dad's dad.
When my sister had the first great-grandchild, mom's mom became Grama Firstname, and it stuck. By that time we only had 3 grandparents left, and when my sister had her first child, they became Grampa and Grama Firstname.
Now that my sister is a grandmother herself, she let the first grandchild "name" her and her husband. They ended up being Grama She-She (her name is Sheila), and Papa. I just love those!
Our kids call our parents Grama and Grampa Firstname, except for dh's dad, who is "Pop."

Fun thread!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version