Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: moo...Happy dance update :) :)OP Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Celeste! I'm so glad I posted, all the replies have been so helpful.

The LLL consultant/RN came to the house again today, (she's also a dear Catholic lady from church ) and weighed baby girl, she's almost 11 lbs! She was 8lbs 14 oz at birth, so she is gaining well. She latched on long enough this evening to need a burping , so I am still hopeful.

Does anyone recommend a formula? I have been using Similac Advanced because it is a ready to feed, but I think it doesn't agree with her. She's had maybe 2-3 ounces in the last week or so and each time she pukes it up and won't poop for a day. I don't need to use it but once in a while now as my milk is well established but I like to have it on hand for emergencies.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Dear Maddie, I've had the range of experiences nursing 9 children (with one preemie and the two with Cystic Fibrosis who needed a special formula) and all of the emotions that go with it. I think a LOT of it is hormonal and chemical. We are built to nurse and our brains freak a little (or panic) at the thought of not nursing. Definitely think of women of old,like Zelie Martin. I prayed to her a lot.

I remember the difficult transistion with my first CF-er, Clare. I was incredulous that my milk was actually not the best thing for her. I did continue to nurse well with supplelments for a year because it was well established by the time she was diagnosed. With my preemie, I think that was the hardest----the pumping was EXHAUSTING for me. And I'm going to be honest: emotionally wearing in a way it might not be for everyone. Having to be hyper-conscious of modesty and being upstairs in my own private room in order to hook up was very harmful to it's success. (I live with an in-law, but also couldn't relax and let down even with the other children around me hooked up to the double pump with both of my hands----awkward!). I also had the anxiety and fear of worrying about my preemie who had complications.   

So, with his needing supplements anyway for his Cystic Fibrosis, combined with my mood deteriorating, I quit pumping at 2 months when he developed RSV and ended up in the hospital and I had to spend all day there---it was the right decision! I nursed him when I could with the supply I had, and he threw it up every single time. It seemed like I was torturing him and he was better on IV nutrition and truly, he was suffering more latched on to me than when he wasn't. He refluxed continually. I did nurse him a little for 6 months---but only for emotional comfort....no real nutrition.

Anyway, I have to go, but I wanted to share that my heart is with you....all of these moms have good advice. Ask your husband what he thinks and trust his instincts, too, on it.

Oh, and Good Start is the formula that is considered the easiest to digest but still reasonably palatable (unlike the torturous elemental formulas my Clare had to be on to gain weight) by the CF foundation. We went to Good Start and it worked well.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

I'm pretty sure that the recommendations are
#1 moms breast milk
#2 donated breast milk
#3 formula
....don't doubt that there is a chance there are ladies on here that would send you some of their excess. Getting breast milk for your baby can happen, even if it's not all from you!

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Nina Murphy wrote:
I think a LOT of it is hormonal and chemical. We are built to nurse and our brains freak a little (or panic) at the thought of not nursing.

ohhhhh, this makes a TON of sense. from a biological standpoint, we are hardwired to NEED to care for the offspring, and nursing is how we are to do so, and our emotional wiring does not always have the best communication with other parts of our brain/body.

very wise, Nina!!!

Quote:
Good Start

Good Start was what my youngest dd did the best on when i had to stop nursing.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Nina Murphy wrote:
I wanted to share that my heart is with you...

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Nina. I really appreciate it.

At this point, and I'm taking it day by day, week by week, I am still pumping. My dh and children, especially my teens, are very supportive of me pumping so we can provide her with breastmilk for as long as possible. She is 5 weeks, so I am still hopeful she will catch on and eventually nurse on her own. She's getting quite plump with fat little cheeks and a double chin, so I'm pretty sure she's thriving.

The last few nights she has slept 6 straight hours for me before needing a feeding!

Thanks again for all your posts. I know I'm not a loser if I have to throw in the towel.

***Just for fun:

My 2yo dd can't say her baby sister's name: Veronica. She said "ronka", so big brother tried to get her to pronounce the VVVVVV before "ronka".

It came out: VODKA

Nice nickname for a sweet newborn baby, huh?

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Maddie wrote:
My 2yo dd can't say her baby sister's name: Veronica. She said "ronka", so big brother tried to get her to pronounce the VVVVVV before "ronka".

It came out: VODKA

Nice nickname for a sweet newborn baby, huh?

Sorry to go OT here, but we are absolutely stuck on names for our baby should she happen to be a girl. I mentioned the name Veronica to my hubby the other day--I've always liked the name, but I've never been a fan of Ronnie for a nickname (and hubby's family is big on nicknames). Do you shorten her name at all? I was thinking Vera might be an option in our case, but I don't know...and now with Vodka in the mix...

And glad to hear you're still going strong! God bless.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Maddie, sounds like you should stand up here and take a bow!!!! WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Veronica is 11 pounds??? Lily is two and weighs 22#!! You are doing a lot right, and as long it is working and you are getting the support you need...more power to you, Sister!!!!
Now...it you do start to burn out or need formula, Good Start was what we used as well....until we switched to a toddler g-tube stuff for Lily, and she tolerated it well. I did have to give her juice every so often, because she did get constipated, but that could be from her low tone as well. We had to use soy with the dairy allergies in the house. It all went well.
Once again, I laughed out loud when I heard she is five weeks and 11 pounds, that is AWESOME!!! and add the missing happy dance emoticon!!
You all have been in my prayers!!   

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

DominaCaeli wrote:
   Do you shorten her name at all? I was thinking Vera might be an option in our case, but I don't know...and now with Vodka in the mix...

And glad to hear you're still going strong! God bless.

We haven't come up with a nickname, other then Vodka, for her. Her middle name is Jane and I've called her that a few times but I don't want to lose the beautiful name of Veronica by calling her by her middle name. I have a dear friend who named her daughter Veronica too and she was never anything but Veronica.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well I know a girl here named Dominique and she's called Nique (knee-ka)

Adn that would work with Veronica too.. Nica (i as ee)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 28 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote monique

Maddie,
Forgive me if someone else has mentioned this but I felt compelled to say that sometimes mothers have a lot of luck with getting newborns to nurse by using skin to skin contact. Laying down with baby on your chest as much as you can (I know that can be difficult with such a lively household.) You can also use a sling or wrap to keep baby skin to skin. Most babies will find the breast by themselves. They are hardwired to nurse. Even after a few months babies will still figure this out on their own. Babies are also positionally stable on their tummies so they will feel more secure if they are laying down on your tummy. Flipping babies on their sides can freak them out and make them flail around and not be able to latch.

Have you seen biological nurturing? Check this out:
http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

Also, I'm not a big fan of nipple shields but sometimes babies will latch using them.

Praying for you and your baby.

Back to Top View monique's Profile Search for other posts by monique

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Maddie,
How are things going?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Thanks for asking, Molly.

I'm still pumping. We seem to have a routine going and the last 2 nights she has slept through the night without a feeding. I still wake at 5am or so to pump and then sleep another hour or two.

She's gaining weight, going through diapers, so she seems to be doing well, I just can't get her to latch well enough to get the nutrition she needs. She'll pacify on me, but that's it. I still get a little weepy on these cold mornings when I have to get out of bed to feed her rather then cuddle up and nurse together...

I take my pump with me whenever she and I go out, I am terrified of not being able to feed her while out. I can't wait until she's eating solids and drinking juice so I have some options. None of my babies eat solids until they're two, so this is a whole new ball of wax for me. I am more free to come and go as she doesn't really "need" me.

I've accepted it but it still makes me very sad.

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Maddie, just a thought..but how is her breathing when she is nursing? Is it latch, or is it something else? My second dd had oversized adenoids, that blocked her nasal passageways...made it hard for her to breathe, which made speech development hard...something one of the other ladies suggested reminded me...

I pumped for 4 wks with #1--she would not latch, would scream rather than latch on...and pumped for 3+ months with the boys. With #1, DH left when she was 5 wks old for a year in Korea..with the twins, they were 3 wks old, and 1 wk out of the NICU (2 wks in the NICU, with NICU bottles made nursing impossible...could not do it) when he left for what was to be an 18mos deployment to Iraq.

Believe me, if it isn't working, do not push yourself too hard. It will affect everyone, not just you. And your supply will suffer, if you are pushing and pushing and pushing.

Many prayers for you and wee one...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

BUMPING

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

WAY TO GO, Maddie!!!! Your diligence is inspiring......give that little Veronica a hug from one of her many cyber aunties!!!! I’m so happy for you both!

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Bravo!!! The is wonderful! I'm very, very happy for the both of you!

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Lovely update.. what wonderful news Maddie

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version