Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: embarrassing Q.-skirt wearing moms, help! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Laura,

From one plus sized lady to another I totally understand!!!!

I cannot wear skirts everyday because of the rubbing thing. I have found that spandex shorts (cotton) wear very well under skirts, especially long flowey ones. I think they are called excersize shorts that I would NEVER wear without something on top but it really helps.

The other thing I do is wear shirts that have some shape with my skirts. I try to find a shirt that is 90% cotton with 10% spandex. (This is for knits) This way when I nurse or have my shirt stretched it goes back verses just hanging there. (If you know what I mean???) I love tops with darts in them so I fake my figure

And I am so glad you asked the hard questions about wearing skirts for you.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Laura, you are so funny. These are all perfectly logical questions.

I used to live in So CA, where the weather is similar to Vegas, but I don't think we ever got as cold as you can there in January (Vegas is *gorgeous* in January, imho). Gold Bond powder works with the thigh issue.

When I wore all skirts in CA, I looked for full skirts, because straight skirts make the whole thigh issue that much worse. Bias and A line skirts help tremendously with the figure issues. The skirt needs to fit well at the hips, and then it can get larger from there without looking bad, if you have a more fitted top on. Peasant skirts in lightweight fabrics that have tiers that get progressively bigger are great in hot weather, as long as the skirt is cotton and not rayon. Wearing an oversized top is what makes the whole ensemble look frumpy, imho. I've also discovered that the fitted longer tops that are trendy today look quite nice with a skirt. I wore a modestworld wrap skirt (read: has an tendency to look like a bell ) recently with a camisole that I pulled down really low like the teens do today and then a t shirt over that that was still cut modestly but longer than many women's t shirts. I got compliments. I noticed Lands End is making the longer t's and I imagine they aren't quite as fitted (or that tissue t shirt style ) as mall t shirts.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Laura, I SO trip up in my skirts - I am an embarrassingly awkward woman - seriously. I always use the excuse that my weight has fluctuated up and down so many times over the years that I just don't know how to shift my weight, but I think I'm just a klutz. Just this past weekend at mass, I was wearing heels and a very long nursing dress. The dress hooked under the heel and I couldn't figure out why my dress was pulling down so much in the back, until I tried to walk out of the pew.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Laura, I really like these pettipants from Vermont Country store for wearing under skirts.

You can't really see whether legs are shaved much in a long skirt, but if you are feeling self conscious, you can wear over the knee socks which aren't as hot as full stockings.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

cactus mouse wrote:
and shaving too often is a major no-no, ...

I don't have time to read further than the OP but Laura, have you tried using an electric hair clipper on its lowest setting to "trim" your leg hair? I do this a lot because I simply hate to shave alot . This may still be too rough for your delicate skin but I thought I'd mention it.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

Laura, as for the shaving issue, in the summer I use a self-tanning lotion (because my legs are sooo pale) and this lets me go a little longer between shavings. I'm not sure if this is an option for you. The long skirts are also the best option, as are over the knee stockings.   

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I bought rayon pettipants on Amazon for my trip to (humid) Mexico this summer. What a great thing they turned out to be...

I read about them some time ago here on 4Real and I am so thankful!

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

St. Ann wrote:
A girlfriend of mine in Florida who does marathon walking introduced a product to me that "all" walkers use. It looks like a deoderant stick, but is for everywhere on your body that gets rubbed: feet, bra-line, between the thighs!!! I used it a couple of times in Florida and it really works. You can get it in any sports shop. I'm sorry I can't give you a specific name, but I am sure that anyone in the branch would know immediately what you are talking about.

One brand is called Body Glide and amazon has it.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

This is so cracking me up and bringing me joy to read such "real life" problems for women!

I'm almost 6' and have a large frame, so I am sympathetic to the skirt-wearing comfort-concerns. And like Lisa, I have been wearing more cropped pants/capris since the heat of the summer and being more active and HOT.

I get really HOT. I can not for the life of me feel cool in skirts, even in the winter, but I do think they are more flattering ultimately, and always wear them to Mass.... SO:

1. I determine to just shave my legs once a week and not give in to being frustrated by seeing what probably nobody else is seeing or looking at---- or shouldn't be, or shouldn't be caring about anyway. Hair happens. I mean: we shouldn't get offended or judgemental at stubble, esp. from a busy mom.

2. For comfort: baby powder or a silicone-based barrier intended for the body, face, or even hair (facial "primers" or hair "serums" are basically silicone). A wonderful cheap one is Monistat Chafing Gel which is basically dimethicone and will bring relief.

3. Leg shaping (thigh-length) undergarments with Nylon or Spandex like Spanx? There are inexpensive ones available through JCP or Avon.

I hope you're doing well, Laura. God bless you!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

YES, the electric shaver!!!! Does that irritate you too, Laura??? I use it all the time in the summer. It helps.

Also, this probably wouldn't matter, but just in case....there are those "quattro-pro" (or whatever the name is) with 4 or 5 BLADES NOW!!!!!! Do the more expensive razors still irritate???? Probably so, but thought I'd mention in case anyone else didn't know about these. They are GREAT!!!!! My sister told me about them. I had no idea about all the new razors out there.   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

And, I have the 40% off coupon for that Chadwick skirt if anyone wants it.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Nina Murphy wrote:
This is so cracking me up and bringing me joy to read such "real life" problems for women!

NINA!!!!!!!!!   

It's SOOOOOOOOOOO great to see you around again!!!! Welcome back!

>>>Back to the regularly scheduled thread<<<

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

cactus mouse wrote:
(re: my skin....i have a weird condition called dermatographia...i have had it for...forever. my skin cells are overly sensitive. if i have an itch, and unthinkingly scratch it...i will have big ol' welts looking like i just was in a fight with a tiger...)

Hey I have this too! My parents thought it was great when I was a teen. My skin would be a blue print (atually a red print) of exactly where I had been touched I just don't shave. Long skirts, knee high stockings, and now I am really embarrassed... I run the hair clippers over my legs when they are really

DivineMercy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote DivineMercy

Just for you, Laura, I am not only going to crawl out from under my rock, but I am going to stand on top of it and scream from the top of my lungs...I DON'T SHAVE! OK, well almost never. I shave to go swimming in the summer, but other than that I don't. My husband is perfectly happy with this. And just so you know, I am not fair haired but am of Mexican descent.
Please, sweetie, don't stress about this. Do what makes your husband and you (and your skin) happy.

Now I am off to find a bigger rock, peace,
Michelle
Back to Top View DivineMercy's Profile Search for other posts by DivineMercy

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Laura....I think you are the best ...I wanted to ask all of these questions at one point, when we had that crazy eternal thread about skirts. I am trying to jump back into the akirt wearing saddle again...trying not to judge myself too harshly for gaining four pounds in the last week of stress....(when you are 5'1"....four pounds for me is a lot) Did I just write I was stressing over four pounds?? I look sort of frumpy in some of my skirts, that is a big issue...I'm going to look into the ones mentioned before.

I think the suggestion that Jennifer made about the slips she uses is a good place to start. And ultimately, don't hide under that rock, we need you here!!

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Nina Murphy wrote:
   Hair happens.

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I have sensitive skin as well, but probably not as sensitive as yours. The doctor gave a name to my 'condition', I just don't recall it. i have large pores and my legs look like they've often got red dots all over them, but only if you look close up. I have no other option than to shave every other day, but I did find a few things that helped:
-a man's razor (I use Mach 3)
-conditioner as shaving cream
-rinse razor after each swipe
-some people suggested shaving with the hair growth instead of against it
-just barely let the razor touch, most people(incl. myself) tend to push too hard on the skin.

Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I shave once a week for dh only. I hate to shave! Long skirts are what I go for or an "I don't care who sees my prickles" attitude if I don't have an ankle length one.

Nina, so good to "see" you here. Missed you.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

lambchopwife
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote lambchopwife

I have a skin condition too, Kerotosis Polaris. I don't think that I spelled that right, oh well! I get red,itchy pimples all over my legs. I started shaving with hair conditioner. It works great! I only shave once a week and that helps too. As far as long skirts for fuller figures I would stick to the A-lines as some of you great gals have recomended. You might want to try Aveunue they have some nice skirts. I can speak from exprience on the fuller figure department. I will have to try those suggestions for the leg rubbing. I get it here in Okinawa all through out the summer.
God bless,
Cheryl

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Mackfam wrote:
Nina Murphy wrote:

NINA!!!!!!!!!   

It's SOOOOOOOOOOO great to see you around again!!!! Welcome back!

>>>Back to the regularly scheduled thread<<<

back!!!!!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version