Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Anyone want to go shoe shopping with me? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

My Dansko clogs were given to me by some women religious who didn't have a need for them and I think they are a pretty old style. They are an open-back clog with an adjustable strap over the top. The strap broke on both clogs within a few months and I think it was an almost $20 repair each time. But since they're such great shoes and were free in the first place I definitely made the repair. It's been a long time since then and neither repair has given out on me.

And thanks for the free advice, Waverley!

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

CandaceC wrote:
Ladies, what are those sizes on the Footprints/Sanita site? I found some shoes I like but have no clue what size to get? 40, 41, 42...???

Check all your current shoes and see if any of them have a European size equivalent listed. I can never remember my size, either, and always have to look. I wear a US9/Euro40, if that helps at all.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Thanks, Susan!! Didn't even think to check my regular shoes!

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

here's a Conversion chart from Zappos

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 1:22am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

LisaD wrote:
Sorry! I do go on, don't I?!   

No!!! I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!! Seriously, your product recommendations are SO GOOD!!!   

I wish I could just link all you to my cart at onlineshoes.com, cuz I gotta go to bed...but I want to share all my comfy-knee-high boots, similar to the Merrell-Spire-Peaks that Jodie linked at the beginning.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I just bought these from Amazon in black - for $59.00! I REALLY like the Sally's Jen. Maybe next month...(the dog ruined my brown and black cool weather shoes...)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

LisaD wrote:
My new favorite shoes are MBTs and Sketchers Shape Ups. They have replaced Dansko in my heart. Yes, they are a little different-looking, but once you walk in them for a bit, the blissful, cushy comfort will make you think they are the most beautiful shoes ever created. Really. I have plantar fasciitis and I have not found a shoe that I could wear all day and walk long distances in and have NO pain, before I tried these shoes(and I've tried so many--Dansko, New Balance, Crocs RX, etc.). They are pricey, but FootwearEtc.com has great sales, free shipping, and free returns on certain brands. Here is a link to the different Mary Janes they carry.

I think these are the Sketchers Lisa is talking about:
Sketchers Shape-ups

Lisa~
I recognized these from the Footsmart Catalogue....there are some other brands too. Are they the same technology? Have you tried any of these:

Allegria Paloma

Allegria Debra Slip-ons

Allegria Seville

Easy Spirit

I've heard really good things about these from a couple others too. They ARE different looking, but I always remember what I thought of CROCS when they first became "the rage"....and then after a couple years, they seem "normal"

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

Anyone have the LL Bean field boot? Are they comfortable, any idea what height the heel is?

LL Bean Field Boot
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

SylviaB wrote:
Anyone have the LL Bean field boot? Are they comfortable, any idea what height the heel is?

LL Bean Field Boot

Sylvia~
I have tried on the field boots from LLBean and Eddie Bauer several times over the years, and they are NOT comfortable IMO. There are lots of other more comfy knee-high boots out there within that price range..... I have an embarrassingly LONG post with tons of links for boots that i'll put up in the next couple of days.      

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Can I jump in on this one? Please? I'm been following along madly (and the skirt one, too!!) ...

I tried on Dansko's for the first time today (with everyone on this thread running through my mind - great that I could picture some of your faces! ). My problem is that my feet are flat and narrow, and they keep sliding into the toe of the shoe. Ouch. I tried on the Solstice and the Sienna As a matter of fact, the store is holding both of them so I can make a decision. The sales woman had me try them on with a sock ( I was wearing nylon tights), and that helped a bit. But after walking back and forth for an hour (I think I tried on 8 pairs, getting the right fit and style) but by the end I couldn't tell if my feet hurt from the tighter shoes or what. Sheesh! I left the store sooooo frustrated!

I only have open back clogs at this point. Last year we had 300+ inches of snow. I made it through last winter, because I couldn't find anything, and didn't want to go this route (because they are $$), but I can't do it again. I.must.buy.shoes. And it's part of accepting where I live. These are about the only ones available locally that will work with weather and skirts.

Anyone else with narrow feet who successfully wears these?

Oh, and Suzanne, looking forward to that boot post! I bought my first pair a couple of weeks ago!

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Anxiously awaiting the long boot post, Suzanne . . . .

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

So, I've been doing a little on-line boot-shopping lately......

Here's my criteria....this is what I'm looking for:
:: comfy boot that I can walk far in, and be in for HOURS. This eliminates 90% of boots out there. Most are horrible and I can't imagine spending any amount of time in them.
:: must have a durable, chunky sole. So many boots have thin soles that I can feel rocks under my feet and it drives me crazy. If I wanted to feel rocks, why would I be wearing shoes
:: boot that my orthotic fit in
:: looks good with skirts
:: pref. knee-high, but I'd take a mid-calf if it were my only choice and all other criteria are met.
:: Flat (comfort)....I'm not looking for a dress-boot....I have my cheapie-heel boots for quick dress-ups.
:: preferably no suede. (Oatmeal doesn't come off suede as easily as leather)
:: preferably waterproof
:: not a "lined-boot"....as we aren't in freezing-cold and snow constantly around here. Only lots of rain.
:: tighter around the ankle, as it bugs me to have that floppy material loose around my ankle.

Here are some possibilities that I've come across:

::Merrell Plaza Peak. I'm kind of excited about this one, but people have said it looks like a rain boot, not a lot of style.   I like the perforated seam detail. It says "polartec" on the inside, so I'm wondering if it's too warm for my needs.
::Merrell Spire Peak Waterproof . I think this is a warmer boot than I'm looking for....thinsulate/fleece inside. But, it looks GORGEOUS! And, not all sizes are available everywhere....I think they are last year's boot. Jodie linked to these at the beginning of this thread. Can't wait to try these.
::Ecco Rise GTX. Looks promising, but is mid-calf.
::Sofft Bergamo. I don't know anything about Sofft....see them in the Footsmart catalogue all the time. Western look.
::Rieker Liv. I've never heard of these, and am doubting the comfort level. But, wanted to link them in case anyone knew about them.
::Rieker Lea
::Naturalizer Starbury.
::Ecco Charm Boot. Not sure I'm crazy about the stitching on the sides, but looks like it could be comfortable.
::Canadienne Tracy. These are gorgeous and look like the PERFECT BOOT!!!!!   But, sheez......$298!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!!   I'm hoping I don't like them.
::Naturalizer Jadis. These are in the Footsmart Catalogue, which tells me they are probably comfy, but I'm not crazy about the look. The sole looks a bit more substantial than the "Causeway" I tried on (listed below)
::Sundance Boot. Thanks to Lindsay's link to Sundance. Linking these here, cuz I do like this look...kind of urban and rugged, yet chic and feminine.....but pricey, and I'm pretty sure there is no free return shipping at Sundance , but a gal can dream. There are similar ones in the "outlet" section for less $$, limited sizes

Here are the ones I've TRIED ON with comments:
Merrell Launch Tetra Waterproof These are really nice...tried them on at REI. Wish they were a bit taller...a knee-high. And, wish they were a bit "more pizazz-y". They have a tendency to look plain, like a rainboot, but they are REALLY COMFORTABLE. Nice looking with skirts. Did I mention they are comfortable???

Merrell Saratov. THEY ARE GREAT!!!!!! Lined and warm (so, not for me...but mentioning cuz they're really nice!!!!) A bit more "roundy" at the top and look more "winter-y-boot-like". Super Comfy and look GOOD!

Keen Bern Holy Cow!!!! These are GREAT BOOTS! They are LINED, and comparable to Merrell Saratov and if I was in a cold/snow climate, these would def. be my choice! But I'm not, so I must contain my excitement for those of you who live in snow half the year!!!!!      They are so comfortable and look really snazzy! The buckles on the side look neat, and I LOVE the chunky stitching on the front and back. The toe is a bit more "rounded" (read: less dressy), but the cool stitching and buckles make up for it.

Teva Montecito This is a good looking, comfortable boot. It runs a little narrow, and I felt it, and my foot is just average width. It was a bit snug, but very nice. Also, they just don't seem as durable as the Keen, Merrells, others, etc.

Clarks Camil So-so on comfort. If it were my only option, I may get them. $150 seems quite costly for this boot. Nice looking, a bit "stiff".

Merrell Tetra Pitch - shortie boot. I'm not in the market for a short boot, but these are GREAT!!!! VERY comfortable, and look nice.

Keen Winthrop . Boiled wool lined boot, so it's warmer than I want....and looks more "rugged" but still looks quite good with skirts. Probably a bit more durable and hearty than some of the others. Really comfy.

Naturalizer Causeway. Comfy, but not enough "chunk" on the sole. Rocks. And, I'm trying to avoid suede.

Dansko Delilah No good. I'm not crazy about the 4-inch- top-leather-upper with the suede in the middle....it's distracting and doesn't "flow"....and aren't knee-high boots supposed to "flow" . There is also a lot of extra material around the ankle/lower calf that makes them look sloppy. And, most of all, they aren't comfortable at all....very unlike a Dansko. Disappointing.

And, just for fun.....in my imaginary life, I wear these Born Tatianas and these beautiful boots !!!!!!!!     DROOOOOOOLING!!!!!!!! !!!!!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Nope, mine aren't the Saratov.. mine are the Spire Peak waterproof.

They have a bit of a heel but it's a good heel.. one I did just spend all day in.. from 9am to 8pm.. and from 10-3 I was literally on my feet.

Oh and Suzanne, even though they're warm enough for winter here.. the other day I was only wearing a mockneck with a tee over the top.. so not a cold day and my feet stayed comfy.. not too hot. So you might still consider them.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh one more plug for the spire peak waterproof.. the sole doesn't look like it has heavy traction.. but they are not more slippery than some of the heavy lugsoles.. basically.. they only slip when any shoe is slipping... very nice.

-Sir Walter Scott

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JodieLyn wrote:
Nope, mine aren't the Saratov.. mine are the Spire Peak waterproof.
Whoops! Fixed comments above, so it's not confusing.

JodieLyn wrote:
They have a bit of a heel but it's a good heel.. one I did just spend all day in.. from 9am to 8pm.. and from 10-3 I was literally on my feet.

Oh and Suzanne, even though they're warm enough for winter here.. the other day I was only wearing a mockneck with a tee over the top.. so not a cold day and my feet stayed comfy.. not too hot. So you might still consider them.

Oh, SO good to know! I'm very excited about these.   So, there's no "lining" like a "boiled wool liner" or fleece anywhere? It's just a thin layer of thinsulate around the wall of the boot???....that must be what they're talking about.

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Suzanne, you are too funny. That post beat all my wildest imaginings    Anyone need proof that Suzanne loves to virtually boot shop?   

And I have yet to actually buy boots for myself! But I think this is the year although my husband keeps pointing out that he is next in line for shoes. Which is definitely true. So someone let me know if there is an online buy-one-get-one half-off sale.

Suzanne, can you say anything about arch support with any of the boots you've tried? I don't wear orthotics. Maybe I should. I find Keens to be okay for a few hours but not for all-day walks. Dansko arch support (especially my older Danskos) is great. Based on what you've said (haven't followed the links yet to see the boots) I'm leaning strongly towards Jodie's Merrell Spire Peaks.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

SuzanneG wrote:
   So, there's no "lining" like a "boiled wool liner" or fleece anywhere? It's just a thin layer of thinsulate around the wall of the boot???....that must be what they're talking about.

yes, that's it exactly. I wear a thin wool knee high sock with them usually.. so that may help regulate the heat as well.

-Sir Walter Scott

Bernadette7
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Bernadette7

I just wanted to comment that at the suggestions of the great ladies here, I ordered the Merrell Spire Peak Waterproof boots and I LOVE them. They are beautiful, fancy but warm and comfortable. Thanks for the suggestion ladies. These boots are a true winner! Oh and if you can't find your size, keep searching on the internet. I had a hard time finding my size (11) and I finally found them at a shoe website that I wasn't familiar with but had great delivery.

Back to Top View Bernadette7's Profile Search for other posts by Bernadette7

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bernadette7 wrote:
.....I ordered the Merrell Spire Peak Waterproof boots and I LOVE them. They are beautiful, fancy but warm and comfortable.

Yep! Those are the ones I FINALLY decided on too!!!!! LOVE 'EM! Thanks, Jodie!!!!!!

Bernadette7 wrote:
Oh and if you can't find your size, keep searching on the internet.
Yes! For a week or so, I had a hard time finding a 7.5, but signed up for notification on a couple different sites, and only waited a few days before getting notified of 7.5

I had a few more comments about a couple of the others I listed above. I'll be back later    

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I got my Sanita Marcell clogs - I've only had them one day, but so far so good. They look great w/jeans - I'll wear them w/ a skirt tomorrow.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet