Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Anyone want to go shoe shopping with me? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Mackfam wrote:
Yes...but they're a dark brown so it isn't obvious.

There are two basic neutrals - brown or black. Most people gravitate towards one or the other to anchor their wardrobe. I happen to think that both brown and black shoes pair well with khaki, denim, and dark brown.

I don't generally match tights to the shoe either - I match to the skirt generally because I think a longer, unbroken line of color is graceful on a lady.

Ok then, I am not going to worry about wearing dark brown shoes with a denim skirt. I always thought chocoloate brown shoes looked great with jeans so I couldn't figure out why it would look bad with a long denim skirt. I'm glad to know that the other person is wrong!

I have read before that the unbroken line in matching tights and skirt is good, especially for ladies who are looking to give the illusion of height. But I've also heard that breaking up the line is not such a bad idea for those of us who are 5'11". Maybe I'll just try on both and see which one I like better. Now I need to find some legwarmers that match my new dark brown Mary Janes!

You know what's great about shoe shopping? It doesn't matter how pregnant you are, or how post partum you are...shoes always are the same size. That's why I like shoe shopping.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

color of shoes and tights and skirts and tops..

I wear black as my basic color.. browns are really hard to find in a shade that looks good on me.

So most of my socks are black to match my shoes.. partly because I was getting annoyed with trying to get shoes and tights/socks coordinated..

I like socks/tights to match my shoes because it gives the same look with skirts that my knee high boots do.

BUT it can also be fun to match your tights to your top..

It's the same sort of thing as men with socks.. it's ok to match socks to shoe, socks to pants or socks as an accent so that they match the top.. socks to pants gives a longer line (depending on the shoe) which is not always the best look for a man or woman. socks to shoe nice and simple usually.. which is why I do it. I compare the look to oh around a hundred years ago.. umm Samantha in American Girls (1904) with the black shoes and black tights with whatever color dresses.

matching socks to your accent color is going to draw some attention to your legs but can be fun and is generally not quite as formal looking as other combos.

And somewhat it will depend on your shoes.. since I wear ankle boots mostly in the winter (when I'm not wearing knee high boots).. I actually find matching to my skirt chops me off at the ankle eliminating that long look.. so I match to my shoes or as accent for fun. And another fun thing is a pattern in the color of your shoes.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh one more thought.. if you're going to use the color of the top to match.. I mainly see this on men in older movies and such where they paid attention to such things.. when the shoes and pants matched. BUT for casual denim and shoes not matching with an accent sock also works.. but I don't think I'd do black shoes with a brown skirt and red top and tights you know though I'd do black shoes and skirt with red top and tights or black shoes and denim skirt with red top and tights.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

SuzanneG wrote:
LisaD wrote:
but FootwearEtc.com has great sales, free shipping, and free returns on certain brands. Here is a link to the different Mary Janes they carry.

Oh nooooo......LISA!!!!!! Everyone BEWARE when LisaD posts about a PRODUCT that she LOVES and RAVES about, because chances are......you will LOVE her recommendation too!!!!!!!    And, all of a sudden you will be dreaming about these things in the wee hours of the morning!!!! (wool nursing pads and car seats )

Company overnight and now I'm way behind on my own very fun shoe shopping thread. You ladies are amazing.

Okay, I am going to beware of LisaD's posts. I do think these shoes are very ugly, I'll just be honest. But they sound awesome. Are they really as great as the write-up claims for posture and support and all that?

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Too many people to quote back to now . . .

On color of shoes, skirts, tights. I readIt's So You over the summer and absolutely loved it. This is a bit of a digression but I'll get back to shoes :) I learned a lot about my coloring and which colors would look good on me. I had accidentally followed all her coloring advice during my last pregnancy and I sort of couldn't figure out why I always felt so great about the way I looked despite being enormous and awkward. Then when I went back to my old clothes post-partum I couldn't figure out why my old khaki skirts and brown Mary Janes were just not doing it for me. The reason, I learned, is that I am a decidedly "cool" coloring and black is my better basic neutral.

Now this book could be read as an expensive way to design a wardrobe--she's sort of in to pitching everything that doesn't work and starting over. But I'm choosing to view it as liberating knowledge that will help me be more frugal. Which brings me back to my shoes. I used to think that if I found great shoes I would need them in both brown and black. I could never really justify doing that though so I'd end up with some styles in brown and some in black and then that would sort of increase my overall wardrobe to accommodate my shoes too. So I decided to just gradually go towards my color pallette and buy only black or (maybe) red shoes.

This is a lot less expensive and makes tights easier too: just get a bunch of black and some gray and they all work! Last year at Target I found some cable-knit over-the-knee socks that I layered on really cold days but I find that a long skirt and microfiber tights are sufficient for the majority of the winter when I'm not living in Minnesota

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Mackfam wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:
I have Sanitas that I bought at this store which carries Sanita factory seconds. They have minor cosmetic flaws (that I couldn't really identify) and the prices are great. The site also carries a lot of other European and high quality, supportive shoes. Footprints

Lindsay - thanks for that link!!! Those are really great prices!

I have a question, ladies - I prefer Mary Janes for the fit and security on the foot, but I've often debated over a pair of clogs - like this. Does anyone wear these regularly? I understand they're NOT supposed to fit tight on the foot, that there is some up and down of the shoe as you're walking. Is this true? Does it bother you? Is it just something to get used to, but you really enjoy the comfort of the shoe? Is it secure on your foot - could you lurch across the hall to grab your toddler before she climbs on the back of the couch without flinging your shoes through the air? Anyone wear these regularly? Do they look weird with a skirt? I could see how they'd be cute with a pair of jeans, but are they too clunky with a skirt? And...could I possibly fit one more question into this paragraph?

Sounds like you've got this figured out now, Jen, but I just wanted to chime in that the reason I'm looking for some black Mary Janes is because my only winter shoes right now are open-back Dansko clogs. I really love them for standing. I remember wearing them while very actively bouncing my baby through the entire Triduum last Easter. Every minute of it. And my feet never got sore. And the height is great for slightly wet days. In fact I don't have boots and I survived an extremely cold and snowy Minnesota winter in my clogs last year. I also like that I can quickly slip them on and off.

BUT, I want different every day shoes because I find them just a bit too unstable for lots of walking and lunging to grab toddlers and such. I "fall off" of them, as Lindsay said, from time to time and I once twisted my ankle pretty hard when doubling back on a staircase. One mitigating factor is that I think they are one (European) size too big for me. Since I wear them in the winter with thicker socks/tights that is actually good but that might make me more prone to trip.

I really like those Sanita Marcelles you linked to. My dad usually asks me to tell him what to buy me for Christmas. So if I can get some boots that way I may spring for some of those dark red ones as well.

And now I hear that there is a skirt shopping thread . . .

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Susan, I kind of remember Elizabeth blogging about that book and wanted to read it then. Its oop and *expensive!* I think I am going to see if the library has it. It sounds really good.

~Books

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think that was where I was Susan, when I got rid of all my other colored shoes and went to black.. I was just finding it so hard to have shoes and socks/outfits that went together because I could only wear this sock or that skirt with these shoes.. Umm, not that that won't for some people but it wasn't working for me. I was so much happier with black shoes and black socks/tights (or skin colored nylons) simply because all my shoes would go with all my socks/tights would go with any outfit I had (since all I had was black anyway).

You know the one I have problems with.. is navy blue.. I look great in navy blue.. but it so often seems to me to clash with black.. because they're so close that the black shoe looks like close but missed the match.

I'm going to try a navy skirt this winter (I've got my eye on one and just need to figure out buying some other things first to know if I have the money to do it) and I'm resisting buying any sort of navy tights or socks.. I think maybe I won't feel so silly about the black shoes if my socks/tights don't match the skirt.

-Sir Walter Scott

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Sorry, actually I have one more question about Sanitas.

Part of the reason I liked the Mary Janes I first linked to was the lower heel. But I really like the price of the Sanitas and I think I do like the sole of my older Danskos better, too. What about the heel height on shoes like these. Am I going to have the same tipping problem that I have in my clogs now or will the strap help? Any thoughts?

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I wonder about navy, too. It's also a great color for me but obviously I can't wear it on top if all my bottoms are black. But I'm thinking I could pull off a navy skirt with black shoes and tights. Isn't that what men do with navy bottoms (hope so because it's how I dress my husband!). And then add a brighter top. I think that would work. I wear dark denim with black all the time and think nothing of it.

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Bookswithtea wrote:
Susan, I kind of remember Elizabeth blogging about that book and wanted to read it then. Its oop and *expensive!* I think I am going to see if the library has it. It sounds really good.

I think I first heard of that book here or on a blog, too. When I first read of it I also couldn't find it in print. Then I saw a friend had it and she gave it to me on a long-term loan. I've since seen that the author sells it on her site. I was dubious about this being true and hadn't yet ordered my own copy but when I went just now to get you the link I saw that the site had been recently updated. I think the $23 she is charging is well worth it. Great book!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

SusanJ wrote:
I wonder about navy, too. It's also a great color for me but obviously I can't wear it on top if all my bottoms are black. But I'm thinking I could pull off a navy skirt with black shoes and tights. Isn't that what men do with navy bottoms (hope so because it's how I dress my husband!). And then add a brighter top. I think that would work. I wear dark denim with black all the time and think nothing of it.

My dark denim skirts look good with black tall boots, so I think black tights/shoes would look good, too. I was asking earlier because I want to wear brown with navy, too.

~Books

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

JodieLyn wrote:
color of shoes and tights and skirts and tops..

I wear black as my basic color.. browns are really hard to find in a shade that looks good on me.

So most of my socks are black to match my shoes.. partly because I was getting annoyed with trying to get shoes and tights/socks coordinated..

I like socks/tights to match my shoes because it gives the same look with skirts that my knee high boots do.

BUT it can also be fun to match your tights to your top..

It's the same sort of thing as men with socks.. it's ok to match socks to shoe, socks to pants or socks as an accent so that they match the top.. socks to pants gives a longer line (depending on the shoe) which is not always the best look for a man or woman. socks to shoe nice and simple usually.. which is why I do it. I compare the look to oh around a hundred years ago.. umm Samantha in American Girls (1904) with the black shoes and black tights with whatever color dresses.

matching socks to your accent color is going to draw some attention to your legs but can be fun and is generally not quite as formal looking as other combos.

And somewhat it will depend on your shoes.. since I wear ankle boots mostly in the winter (when I'm not wearing knee high boots).. I actually find matching to my skirt chops me off at the ankle eliminating that long look.. so I match to my shoes or as accent for fun. And another fun thing is a pattern in the color of your shoes.

This is very helpful. And you brought something up that I was wondering the other day. Do ankle boots with flat heels look nice with long swishy skirts and tights? I saw some blue waterproof sueded ankle boots that I almost bought, thinking they'd look cute with blue tights and denim, but then I hesitated because I wasn't sure about ankle boots and skirts. The last time I checked, they are sold out of my size now.

~Books

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

SusanJ wrote:
Bookswithtea wrote:

I think I first heard of that book here or on a blog, too. When I first read of it I also couldn't find it in print. Then I saw a friend had it and she gave it to me on a long-term loan. I've since seen that the author sells it on her site. I was dubious about this being true and hadn't yet ordered my own copy but when I went just now to get you the link I saw that the site had been recently updated. I think the $23 she is charging is well worth it. Great book!

This is excellent! If my library doesn't have it, I'll definitely order. Thanks for the info!

~Books

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Re: shoe color - I have trouble committing to one "neutral" in my wardrobe, so these Dansko clogs in "cordovan" are perfect for me - I really think they go with any color, and have worn them with black, gray, brown, tan, denim, and even red. They coordinate with anything!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh I think ankle boots look great with skirts women wore them (button up shoes came to the ankle) for ages before other shoes became popular.

-Sir Walter Scott

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

SusanJ wrote:
What about the heel height on shoes like these. Am I going to have the same tipping problem that I have in my clogs now or will the strap help? Any thoughts?

Susan and Jennifer, I have the Mary Jane clogs featured in the link above and the closed-back Dansko clog (just like the Sanita professional clog Jennifer linked to earlier). I like both of them. They both look good with jeans and skirts. The mary-jane style looks a little better when I have on a more feminine style skirt (flowers or floaty) and they both look good with plain skirts like denim and corduroy.

Susan, I too fall off my clogs on occasion.    I fall off both styles equally however.

For the amount of walking you plan on doing, I would recommend the Dansko soft sole like you were originally looking at. I have Dansko soft sole sandals (the same sole on the Mary Janes you first linked to) and love, love, love them. They are great for a lot of walking - more comfortable than the hard sole.

So there are my opinions. I feel I need to quote my grandfather here however who said "Free advice is often worth what you paid for it."    God rest his soul.   

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, I really appreciate hearing your take, Waverley! Thank you!!!!!

And...love that quote of your grandfathers! I'm remembering that one!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I wear an orthotic, so the clog-style Danskos don't work with an orthotic, but I have had the clog style sandal for summer, and I DO "roll" occasionally....so I tend to wear them when I won't be chasing kiddos around a yard. They aren't my everyday sandal in the summer for this reason.

So, my Danskos-sole that I wear with pants and my black mary janes are an old style of the current Mae. That type of Dansko works with my orthotic and I don't feel so tippy.

My only gripe with the Dansko mary jane is the strap is starting to wear out. For an expensive shoe, I just expected more. Whereas with the Jocelyn (non-mary-jane) that I wear with pants... I've had them for 5 years or so, and they have tons of wear left in them. So, the strap thing annoys me....and not just in Danskos....most mary janes, the strap will deteriorate long before the shoe does. So, I prefer a boot with my skirts, but a good comfortable boot that you want to wear all the time is harder to find than a mary jane.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Ladies, what are those sizes on the Footprints/Sanita site? I found some shoes I like but have no clue what size to get? 40, 41, 42...???

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version